NMD - AX8!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DavusPG said:
    Another happy AX8 user here....glad you're liking it.

Was using the JCM 800 for quite a while, but recently discovered the Friedman Small Box

Do you guys not find the 34JCM too shrill? What am I doing wrong?!
    I use the modded JCM a lot too. If you read Yek's amp guide, he mentions that you can lower the Triode Frequency values and they will lose that shrillness you are getting...which is natural to that amp...also mentions that turning the MV up and try some saturation too helps. They are incredible models of the real thing, if you can get it right. Been playing for the last hour using the modded JCM with a Fuzz Face in front of it, Muse all the way. Beautiful! :-)

“That “interference”is due to all the treble peaking used in thedesign. JCM800s have quite a bit of treble boost. When you first attack the string the note is unpitched. It's basically a brief explosion of noise. The treble boosting amplifies the upper frequencies of this noise burst which is what you hear. However, when you playing in a loud mix that treble boosting helps the sound cut. Modern designs use more carefully crafted treble boosting to retain the cut but tame some of the harshness of the attack. This is accomplished typically by putting a capacitor in parallel with the plate resistor(s) which rolls off around a few kHz. This preserves the treble boost in the upper midrange but softens the attack. I believe the SLO100 was one of the first amps to do this. You can see “It's a vertical input Canada export version. I went through several before settling on this one as it was the best soundingby far.”“Some of them are really dull. We have two 50 watters. One is a Canadian export with bat-handle switches and sounds glorious. All nasty and spitty and full of "artifacts". The other is a "regular" one with the rocker switches. It sounds like it has a blanket over it in comparison. Our model is based on the Canadian one. Oh, and I should add that someone removed the bright cap from the Canadian one. Probably because it's so nasty with it in. I installed a new one to bring it back to it's original glory. The key to JCM800's is to crank the MV to overcome the brightness of the preamp.”

Brit 800, Brit 800 Mod and Brit 800 #34 (Marshall JCM 800)56this in the Axe-Fx II as your Triode Freq parameters. You can soften the JCM800 attack by lowering the Triode Freq values. Most modern hi-gain designs use some form of HF rolloff like this. Another reason is that JCM800s use relatively low amounts of negative feedback (which is why they're so loud). This causes a treble boost in the power amp. Increase the Damping parameter to increase the negative feedback.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • More models? Lol, hopefully he means more bass amps and pedals.There's 200+ guitar amp channels already!
    Haha. Yep, was talking about the DC-30 in particular, IIRC. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2423
    Anyone tried the magnetic switch cover things from ZenRigs? If so, are they any good? Seem very expensive for what they are, and soon add up when you need different sets. Plus the delivery is about 20 working days!

Also, does anyone use the paid version of fracpad to edit the presets on your ipad?
  • I don't think I was even aware you could edit stuff from an iPad

I haven't tried any kick tag type things.  I'm really oldschool - I put coloured electric tape on my Behringer FCB.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    FarleyUK said:

Also, does anyone use the paid version of fracpad to edit the presets on your ipad?
    I'd be interested in hearing about FracPad too... 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2423
    simonk said:
    FarleyUK said:

I'd be interested in hearing about FracPad too... 
    There's a free version on the app store, but I think it keeps pausing and using adverts. Seems ok, but the controls are a bit weird...!
  • ZenRigsManZenRigsMan Frets: 17
    edited July 2018
    FarleyUK said:
    Anyone tried the magnetic switch cover things from ZenRigs? If so, are they any good? Seem very expensive for what they are, and soon add up when you need different sets. Plus the delivery is about 20 working days!

Apologies for being late to the chat - I've only just seen this!

I'm the guy that makes the ZenRigs stuff. It's not like any other system - is made of solid acrylic interchangeable pieces and uses neo magnets, which is why it costs more than simple printed magnets. The system is being used by folks around the world, including many pro touring artists, including Steve Vai, who has used them on his board (3 generations now!) for 5 years.

Delivery is 20 working days as I make each set to order, by myself, and it happens on top of a full-time day job, which is why I'm upfront about this on the site.

Hope that helps - but feel free to yell if I can help with anything of if you have any questions.

Cheers!
    Sukh (ZenRigs)
    I manage Fractal Audio distributor G66 UK (official distributor of Fractal Audio products in the UK) and am also the guy behind a little accessory company called ZenRigs. I also provide private Fractal related training and teach guitar. Hello!
    http://www.g66.eu/   http://www.zenrigs.com/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9591
    FarleyUK said:

Apologies for being late to the chat - I've only just seen this!

I'm the guy that makes the ZenRigs stuff. It's not like any other system - is made of solid acrylic interchangeable pieces and uses neo magnets, which is why it costs more than simple printed magnets. The system is being used by folks around the world, including many pro touring artists, including Steve Vai, who has used them on his board (3 generations now!) for 5 years.

Delivery is 20 working days as I make each set to order, by myself, and it happens on top of a full-time day job, which is why I'm upfront about this on the site.

Hope that helps - but feel free to yell if I can help with anything of if you have any questions.

Cheers!
    Sukh (ZenRigs)
    I bought and used the labels from Sukh, and they are excellent, well made and really 'added' to my FX8...

Highly recommended :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    I made my own tags with magnetic paper

https://i.imgur.com/6jyUNvT.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom