New Boss DD500 V2 firmware update

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7814
WOW. Boss have changed...

<Version 2 Newly Added Features>
•Improved A/B Simul mode with more flexible control and input/output options

•Five newly added effects, including vintage Binson Echorec 2, touch-responsive filter delay, and more

•Additional detailed tone-editing parameters such as feedback damp and modulation mode

•More flexible routing options with the new Insert Loop function, selectable EQ insertion position, expanded independent delay connection modes, and more

•Enhanced effects with extended parameters and sound quality refinements, including stereo pitch shifters and overtone effects for Shimmer mode, effect targets for Slow Attack mode, and more

https://www.boss.info/global/products/dd-500/downloads/

https://www.boss.info/global/products/dd-500/support/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It looks pretty awesome. From reading the new "parameters added" doc on the website it looks like the Echorec replaces the Echoplex sim in tape mode, but haven't installed the update yet so not sure. 

Matt Knight from Boss and Guitar Nerds is active on the DD500 Facebook group, so I'll see if he can confirm. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was under the impression that there were 5 additional delay algorithms, rather than any existing ones getting replaced. Won't be able to make updates until tomorrow though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    edited September 2017
    I was under the impression that there were 5 additional delay algorithms, rather than any existing ones getting replaced. Won't be able to make updates until tomorrow though.
    Guys on the facebook group are saying that the updated paramaters doc on the Boss website is missing a lot of what's new.

Thumbs up for the new overtone / shimmer algorithm, and Echoplex is still there!

I might be able to do the update tonight. Supposed to be playing at church on Sunday morning so kinda don't want to risk ruining anything...

This is from the FB group- definitely non-shit new shimmer and overtone / POG sounds:

https://www.facebook.com/andy.moore.1217/videos/10154758501356898/

• @Drew_TNBD might have to buy another DD-500 now ;)

• @english_bob do I have to join the facebook group to access that link?
  • @Teetonetal, possibly, or it might be that I edited my post after I put the link in.

How about now?

https://www.facebook.com/andy.moore.1217/videos/10154758501356898/

The group is well worth joining- lots of helpful people.

• Still doesn't work. Will join the group
  • Basically, it contains in tune pitch shifted delays with none of that crap warbling, two different pitch shift "character" settings- one more like the original DD-500 shimmer mode (only in tune), another that sounds much more like the Octo Reverb on my M5 (so, like proper shimmer), then POG-type sounds using the new Overtone mode.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some good stuff in there, it's quite exciting really. I got my dd500 for my birthday this time last year, and now it feels like it's giving me another present.  I wonder if you can wrap a firmware update?

It'll be interesting how good the overtone and phaser stuff is, I might be able to take my POG2 and Marshall regenerator off my pedal board...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ touch sensitive filter mode too, so you can lose your auto-wah :D

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    How's the echorec effect? that's one of the harder echo sounds to get right. 
  • Good work Boss! Might get the RV500 after all now the DD is getting good updates.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Wow, that looks an exciting update, particularly the Binson mode - spent an evening setting up my Binson patch a while ago. It is great to have these updates although one can't help feel it maybe encourages manufacturers to put out unfinished pedals out there knowing they can release a bunch of updates. Can't understand why Boss first released the DD 500 with no (essential) volume control for the looper.
  • Octafish said:
    Wow, that looks an exciting update, particularly the Binson mode - spent an evening setting up my Binson patch a while ago. It is great to have these updates although one can't help feel it maybe encourages manufacturers to put out unfinished pedals out there knowing they can release a bunch of updates. Can't understand why Boss first released the DD 500 with no (essential) volume control for the looper.
    Well - Boss, are not known for this but the rest of the industry has been moving this way. The 500 series is a new range competing at a new position in the market. I reckon they wanted to put it out, see how it went, then decide on whether to released the RV and MD as well as update. Sales also give an early return on development... reduces risk.
    Octafish said:
    Well - Boss, are not known for this but the rest of the industry has been moving this way. The 500 series is a new range competing at a new position in the market. I reckon they wanted to put it out, see how it went, then decide on whether to released the RV and MD as well as update. Sales also give an early return on development... reduces risk.
    Yep and the public do some of the testing/development for them free of charge, the computer games industry have been doing it for years. Having said that I'm more than happy to get extra features/delay types etc every so often =)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited September 2017
    Octafish said:

All of this, plus it's starting to become an expected thing.  Even Line 6 have changed their model on this - in previous products, additional model packs were paid add-ons.  My guess is with Helix they've included some additional margin in the price to go towards future development - it's a 2 way street too, they'll sell more if people think they'll get more free stuff.

The difference with digital vs analogue is you absolutely do have to complete an analogue pedal, but you don't necessarily ever complete a digital one - it could  be added to and tweaked as necessary so long as there's room or capability remaining in the unit. It looks like many companies will continue to support digital products with updates now throughout the life-cycle of the product, which also gives another reason to hang on to it (which reduces s/h market, which is a good thing for owners who want higher resale and the company who want more new sales).
  • I've downloaded and installed it and so far it's been pretty good. The overtone is cool but I dont think it's going to replace the POG2 just yet. 
  • Finally managed to find some time to update and have a quick play.

I really like the Echorec, will investigate more, the shimmer mode is now useable which is good. Thought overtone was a really neat inclusion. Loving that tape delay now has a wow and flutter setting.

Looking forward to going a bit deeper with it - it's been ages since I setup my patches, total forgotten how to use the damn thing!

• I was playing about with the echorec as well this evening and it's pretty awesome. I managed to set up a nice auto wah patch which is cool as I've never owned an autowah before. Time to get funky.

Anyone tried putting stuff in a feedback loop yet?
    I've downloaded it, but I've spent most of my time on the Echorec setting =) . Very good and a lot to play around with with the disc heads and the swell option. The update also has added 'wow and flutter' parameter to the Space Echo and EP tape delays which gives the tape delays that bit extra.