Is there any way that the search function can be improved?

What's Hot
Is there any way that the search function can be improved - Specifically to put things in date order with most recent first. It's so frustrating when you get 1000+ replies in random order!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    There's no need for creating contentious topics like this ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17729
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Is there any way that the search function can be improved - Specifically to put things in date order with most recent first. It's so frustrating when you get 1000+ replies in random order!

You can it's an option in advanced Search
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27797
    edited October 2017
    There are a lot of options that aren't obviously presented on the standard search page.

It might be that a little UI re-design would make it appear far more functional, without actually needing any change to the functionality?
    @monquixote?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17729
    tFB Trader
    People generally complain about the search and then disappear when I point out that the feature they asked for is actually there so I don't know if they can't use the advanced search or just don't know it's there
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    So how do you order the results by date, most recent first?????
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    People generally complain about the search and then disappear when I point out that the feature they asked for is actually there so I don't know if they can't use the advanced search or just don't know it's there
    Advanced Search? Or do you mean the More Options button? It still doesn't help and arranging by date should be an option (not aimed at the mods or you monquixote - I know this is based on the forum software we use) I use "This Year" or "This month" but it could do with more filtering. 

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited October 2017
    Well, who knew - that is so well hidden!
    I usually spend my day pointing out people's lack of knowledge and here I am in school today.
    This should be a sticky!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/search?Search=&Checkboxes[0]=titles&Checkboxes[1]=WithReplies&Checkboxes[2]=child&match=Any&tag=&date=All&or=Relevance&mem=&res=Classic&pg=p1&tar=srch
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    I think the only improvement the search really needs, is it to default to latest posts.

The chances are that when you're searching for something, you want to see the latest posts. To do that at the moment, you have to do a search, then click advanced search, then click sort by most recent, then click search again (that's having remembered the search button is at the top, and not below the options!)

So ...... you can't do what I'm asking then????
    @axisus. do an initial search for what you're searching for. On the results page, click the 'Adv Search' link near the top (just below where it tells you what you've just searched for). Then on the next page, select 'Most Recent' in the Order By group. While you're there, you may want to change the Phrase Match from Any to All if you're searching for more than one word, then finally click search.

That's assuming you're on the desktop view.

m_c said:
    @axisus. do an initial search for what you're searching for. On the results page, click the 'Adv Search' link near the top (just below where it tells you what you've just searched for). Then on the next page, select 'Most Recent' in the Order By group. While you're there, you may want to change the Phrase Match from Any to All if you're searching for more than one word, then finally click search.

That's assuming you're on the desktop view.

Ahh, yes, found a checkbox! Not very intuitive!

Also the search for a item from a particular member never seems to work??
    Aaaargggg!!!!!! Bloody search! Drives me up the wall. I finally thought I was getting somewhere. I searched for 'prototype' and arranged in date order. scanned down first page of results, thread I'm looking for not there. Clicked on page two and all I get is 'no results for rototype'  and no results at all. !?!?!?!?!?!  Why the bloody hell would it knock the 'P' off!?!?!?!
    Now that's a problem!
    Quick solution is to just put a couple apostrophes around prototype.

As for the reason, the P must be getting parsed somewhere, meaning it gets dropped. It happens to any word starting with a P.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27797
    IIRC, we had the "p" problem before.

I don't know what the cause is, but I think it originates in the fact that we're using free software to host the forum.  It has some "bugs" out in the margins.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I searched for an answer to this and couldn't find one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • try typing the following Google search-

site:thefretboard.co.uk "search phrase here"

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

try typing the following Google search-

site:thefretboard.co.uk "search phrase here"

That's what I do - if you then use the search tools you can even time-bound it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom