Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Custom Shop Les Paul dilemma

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003

I am really pleased to have been lucky enough to be able to buy a Custom Shop Les Paul in 2016, it's truly lovely looking, plays exceptionally well and sounds great. But I grab my CS Strat almost every time over it. The Strat is just so comfortable and I love the quieter more refined sound of the single coils. I don't even notice that I'm playing the Strat and really, really love it.

For the first time in a while I got a twinge to shift the LP and get another CS Strat in it's place.

I owned a 2007 R9 and sold that after a year and when I managed to be in a position to buy another CS Historic I told myself that I would never sell again.

Am I mad? Perhaps I need to go listen to Zep's How The West Was Won a few times to stir up the LP love again.

The AV52 Tele doesn't get a lot of air time either lately, it's all Strat!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Why would you need two Strats?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Pull yourself together man
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003
    edited October 2017
    ICBM said:
    "Need" doesn't come into it does it? It's all about "want"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    edited October 2017
    I am wondering about selling my R8 as well.

I do like messing around with that big LP sound at home, but I don't actually use it live much.  I tend to prefer single coils. or a semi-hollow.

If you don't have a semi-hollow, would it be worth trying something like a 335?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Then I would have more Strats than @Bridgehouse

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    edited October 2017
    trade the Les Paul for a Custom Shop Tele so you get a closer feel to the strat, the single coil bite AND enough beef to to Jimmy Page all day long.

RMJ said:

Who me?

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    RMJ said:

Who me?
    Yes you. Every home needs a Les Paul.
    edited October 2017
    RMJ said:
    RMJ said:

Who me?
    Yes you. Every home needs a Les Paul.

I daren't pull it anymore it might fall off.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    Exactly.

I have five .. you can never have enough Strats .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957

If there is any doubt, keep it and play it until you either

a) know you don't like it

or

b) like it

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4366
    Sell it. Buy a Firebird. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I have one nice US one, and a cheaper Mexican one that isn't quite so precious and I carry in a gig bag on my bike.

Not sure there is any need for 2 really nice ones though.  You would probably still end up playing one more than the other.

I have more guitars than I really need, so I do find that I sometimes go a month or two without playing one of them.  I don't think that's a massive problem though.  If I go 3 or 4 months without playing a guitar, then it's normally a sign I need to sell it.
    Lodious said:

If there is any doubt, keep it and play it until you either

a) know you don't like it

or

b) like it

I guess

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284

I don't play my Les Paul much, but would never sell it - they're a nice thing to have, and what they do not many other guitars do and sometimes it's nice to do that.

But I would echo - Tele, really nice match for the strat, and rocks like no other

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14671
    tFB Trader

Am I mad? Perhaps I need to go listen to Zep's How The West Was Won a few times to stir up the LP love again.

I have 2 good customers who have owned a few LP's and nice versions as well - they buy and then fall out of love with an LP as it does not grab them like another guitar does - Then they sell, but they buy again - I'm in a similar position with regards to a love/hate relationship with an LP  - I think I should own and enjoy an LP, but in reality I find other guitars more comfortable to play, especially when I try to play anything more intricate on them - keep the playing simple and I can handle an LP - As such I own an LP 57 Tom Murphy Historic, but I don't try to play every song on it etc like I might on other guitars - Let it do a job that I'm comfortable with, but don't expect it to be the be all and end all - That way I appreciate what it does for me in a  horses for courses manner
    CHRISB50 said:
    Sell it. Buy a Firebird. 

urrgghh no way. Firebird? firewood more like. Filthy.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I have 2 good customers who have owned a few LP's and nice versions as well - they buy and then fall out of love with an LP as it does not grab them like another guitar does - Then they sell, but they buy again - I'm in a similar position with regards to a love/hate relationship with an LP  - I think I should own and enjoy an LP, but in reality I find other guitars more comfortable to play, especially when I try to play anything more intricate on them - keep the playing simple and I can handle an LP - As such I own an LP 57 Tom Murphy Historic, but I don't try to play every song on it etc like I might on other guitars - Let it do a job that I'm comfortable with, but don't expect it to be the be all and end all - That way I appreciate what it does for me in a  horses for courses manner
    @guitars4you what did you do with the "Les Paul" by he who must not be named?
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

You're not mad by any stretch - just a Strat lover. Get another Strat if that's what you want, Ive got more than one Tele.

Maybe try a Les Paul with P90s.

I think you've nailed it. You're right I feel I can play anything on a Strat and love how hard I can physically play it, the LP with it's shorter scale need's gentler touch and doesn't lend itself so much to some styles.