Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Custom Shop Les Paul dilemma

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14671
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    @guitars4you what did you do with the "Les Paul" by he who must not be named?
    you mean the one that starts with the surname of a former Chelsea Captain and ends with the name of a famous rum and by coincidence has the same initials as Tom Murphy ?

sold it to a member of FB
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I've had a few Les Pauls. They have all come and gone.

I have one strat and I love it and it's still here.

Not sure why I need two tho.. I only have one pair of arms..
  • Strat Players? 

I've put you all on ignore. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Maybe the idea of a LP is deep within your memories and they do look iconic. But the reality is they are not all things to all men (or women). Why not stay with the Gibson stable and get a 3X5. A 355 has the extra bling and a varitone which can make they extremely versatile (not thet a standard 335 isn't versatile already) and you will find they will cover a lot of ground. If you can't get on with the body size then one of the hogged out smaller body versions 33X.
    Think possitive and get one of everything, that way you'll get back to adding a LP in the future as maybe no 12 in the collection. ;-)

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    crunchman said:
    @guitars4you what did you do with the "Les Paul" by he who must not be named?
    you mean the one that starts with the surname of a former Chelsea Captain and ends with the name of a famous rum and by coincidence has the same initials as Tom Murphy ?
    Tommy Matugga?
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I think you've nailed it. You're right I feel I can play anything on a Strat and love how hard I can physically play it, the LP with it's shorter scale need's gentler touch and doesn't lend itself so much to some styles.
    Have you tried heavier strings?  (Sorry if I'm being dumb by pointing out the obvious, by the way!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited October 2017
    I really love Les Pauls - when played by other people. Having owned four, I concluded some time ago that I just can’t make them work for me. So now I don’t own one.

Some people seem to be able to swap between one and a Strat with ease - I still occasionally wonder if more time with one would cure my ‘problem’....

For clarity, I’m not offering to buy yours @RandallFlagg....
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4366
    CHRISB50 said:
    Sell it. Buy a Firebird. 

urrgghh no way. Firebird? firewood more like. Filthy.
    FFS man. As long as it has a reverse headstock, it's a thing of beauty.

Wash your mouth out. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    Have a guitar because you want it it speaks to you and you can express yourself through it not because you think you should have it. It seems you're a single coil guy, why have a Les Paul sitting there if it's nothing more than decoration? Be yourself!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27611
    Sounds like you don't like Les Pauls. Try a CS336 - 95% of the LP sound in a more comfy package.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 297
    At the risk of over simplifying, is your dilemma due to ease of playing, or also due to other factors such as the sound of the guitar? If it's the former I'd suggest switching regularly the guitars you play. Whilst this may feel uncomfortable initially, IMO it's worth persevering to become a more flexible player.
  • ICBM said:
    Why would you need two Strats?
     Having 2 Strats he could keep one in e flat for those Hendrixy / SRV moments and another in standard tuning for when feeling Floydy.

i would also second the suggestion to try a P90 based Les Paul.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31869
    Just nail a P90 to the front of it, best thing I ever did. 

http://i68.tinypic.com/17coqf.jpg
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited October 2017
    Try out one of these 

www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/CS-336-Mahogany.aspx
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited October 2017
    I don't play my LP as much as the other guitars I have available and I feel rather guilty about it. But a baseball neck and heavy strings are the main reason. BUT when I do pick it up I am  always impressed at the effortless way it delivers those classic LP tones - even without a Marshall. You can't get this level of 'instant 'satisfaction from a Strat - well I haven't from my time with mine since 1975 ... you always have to work at it.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I think you've nailed it. You're right I feel I can play anything on a Strat and love how hard I can physically play it, the LP with it's shorter scale need's gentler touch and doesn't lend itself so much to some styles.
    Have you tried heavier strings?  (Sorry if I'm being dumb by pointing out the obvious, by the way!)
    I have in the past but not recently on this guitar. I have a set of 11s lying around. That's a good idea, I might whip them on and see if the increased tension helps me feel more at home.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    It takes time to get the feel of 2 vols/tones, and what you can get with the middle position - it isn't all filth - listen to the sparkling cleans Les Paul himself got with one. (FWIW I'm still tinkering with the middle position)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31869
    Jalapeno said:
    It takes time to get the feel of 2 vols/tones, and what you can get with the middle position - it isn't all filth - listen to the sparkling cleans Les Paul himself got with one. (FWIW I'm still tinkering with the middle position)
    Les Paul himself is one of the reasons I like the guitars too, but he used single coil pickups of one sort or another almost exclusively.

My problem is I do love the sound of a Les Paul with H/Bs but only for certain things, and I just can't get coil taps to do exactly what I want.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    I hate everything about Les Pauls, they are just not me, but I had one because I thought I should, it got very dusty......Son and Heir has it now......he prefers Fenders too...use what you like and will play....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll