Wanted: Tech in South Kent / East Sussex

mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
edited October 2017 in Guitar
I'd like to know what luthier/tech services are available around these parts. Any recommendations around the Hastings/St. Leonards area? I'm happy to head out around Tunbridge Wells, Folkestone, Ashford, Eastbourne, Brighton areas if needs be.

Thanks folks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    Anybody?

The most immediate things I'm looking for recommendations on are someone to do a general setup on a 5 string banjo and fitting new bridge saddle and setting up a 12 string acoustic.

There will be plenty of other stuff required in the future so I'm after any and all suggestions.

If there's nothing coming forth I'll just have a good look around on the net and take pot luck.

Cheers chaps.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    There's a guy in Sevenoaks on the right of the high street as you come from the A21 - Julian Clarke is his name.

Dave at Abbey Music in Tunbridge Wells has a guy that I've used before, as does JB's Music (could well be the same chap). 

There is also Toms Guitars near Westerham and DW Guitars in Maidstone. 
    Great stuff, that's plenty to be going on with, many thanks.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2354
    tFB Trader
    Have you tried Bonner's in Eastbourne? or 12th Fret I think he's in Horam. You could try Birds music in Bexhill. There's also several techs in Brighton. If you're thinking of travelling the 21 too Sevenoaks you might as well go on to Feline in Croydon somewhat further I must admit. I think there might be guitar tech in the centre of Rye, I seem to remember passing a guitar shop there it was quite small, but I'm sure it said he did repairs and set ups. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

edited October 2017
    I haven't tried anywhere yet GSP, we've not been in the area all that long and I've left my current stuff to gather a bit of dust for a while. My project pace is usually just south of glacial There is just SOOO much to learn.

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll check them all out carefully.

On a different note, once my current raft of projects are done there is a slightly quirky Jazzmaster Cabronita affair in the back of my mind that I may well want to run by you at some point.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27748
    Try editing the title of your post to make its content more obvious.

Wanted:  Tech in SouthKent / Sussex 
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Ok, will do, thanks Tony.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6770
    If you're happy to travel to Brighton, then I would recommend either Nathan on 07578 916 284
    info@brightonguitarworkshop.com

Alternatively, try Pedro Martins on 
    07799 563874
    pedro@guitarrepairsbrighton.com

• Roger Flack at B&T Music in Trinity Street (Hastings) is very good.

I also use Martin Sims at Sims Guitars, just outside Ashford, as I live roughly equidistant between them.

FYI; I think Birds Music in Bexhill has shut.

Btw; Welcome to the area! There's a great local music scene in Hastings (I saw Jimmy Haslip play in the Old Town just last night, actually) and there's also quite a few jam nights around, if you're interested.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I've used 12th Fret in Horam before and they've been OK. 
    Lovely stuff, you can't beat personal recommendations, thanks chaps.

And thanks @ChuckManual for the welcome. I don't play in public these days, just for my own indulgence, but I'll give it some thought.

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    Roger Flack at B&T Music in Trinity Street (Hastings) is very good.

I use B&T for my setups, inc my @GSPBASSES custom BillyBo - made a great job of it; plays beautifully

FYI; I think Birds Music in Bexhill has shut. - it wasn't last week when I walked past but I think he may soon.

Btw; Welcome to the area! There's a great local music scene in Hastings (I saw Jimmy Haslip play in the Old Town just last night, actually) and there's also quite a few jam nights around, if you're interested.
    BBTW - Vince Ray is playing The Havelock, Saturday evening, if Link Wray etc is your thing  :)

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Andy Warnock in the Medway
    he is the dog's nuts
    play every note as if it were your first
  • James at 12th Fret has just moved from Horam to Cross In Hand, just a stone's throw away. 

I thought Martin Sims outsourced the tech work. He certainly used to sent stuff to the excellent Dave Smart in Oxford. 

• GSPBASSES said:
    Have you tried Bonner's in Eastbourne? or 12th Fret I think he's in Horam. You could try Birds music in Bexhill. There's also several techs in Brighton. If you're thinking of travelling the 21 too Sevenoaks you might as well go on to Feline in Croydon somewhat further I must admit. I think there might be guitar tech in the centre of Rye, I seem to remember passing a guitar shop there it was quite small, but I'm sure it said he did repairs and set ups. 
    That'll be Richard at Music Exhange in Rye. He doesn't do repairs. He will however let you sit on his sofa for hours talking about guitars with all the other Rye-area guitarists who stumble in there after a few pints in The George opposite. 
    Much thanks folks, it's looking like I won't have to go as far afield as I thought.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2017
    Clarky said:
    Andy Warnock in the Medway
    he is the dog's nuts
    He certainly is, he refretted Mark Knopfler's famed '58 Les Paul, and also did some fret refinishing/setup work on my US Standard Precision Bass 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.

• Richard at Music Exchange in Rye. He doesn't do repairs. He will however let you sit on his sofa for hours talking about guitars with all the other Rye-area guitarists who stumble in there after a few pints in The George opposite. 

His silver sofa!

It's the MOST Rock & Roll bit of furniture in the world!

...well, in Rye, at least.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4974
    Ian Robinson was doing a roaring trade at the recent TalkBass bass bash - he did a quick adjustment to my SG's nut.

He's in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, so might be a little bit further away...

http://www.string-instrument-repairs.co.uk/

edited October 2017
    Oops, double post