The very first electric guitar you ever owned, how good or how crap ?

What's Hot

Comments

• NickLNickL Frets: 153
    Black HSS Sunn Mustang. Looking back it wasn't that bad. Stupidly traded it for a new Encore when a school friend who'd had a few lessons told me the neck was warped. When you're 15 and given the choice of trade-in + new guitar or setup for the same price you don't always get it right. It just needed a truss rod adjustment (and maybe the nut slots taking down a bit while on the bench) but I didn't know how straightforward that was in those pre-internet days. The Encore is still in the family with a disintegrating trem block that's not worth fixing, so not one of my better decisions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • manimani Frets: 11
    My first electric guitar in '94 - an Ibanez PF230 proper left handed model.

I had no idea what I had bought back then being a youngster, I still have it today, sound and playability wise - superb, I never needed to mess with it.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/102624314
  • manimani Frets: 11
    My first electric guitar in '94 - an Ibanez PF230 proper left handed model.

I had no idea what I had bought back then being a youngster, I still have it today, sound and playability wise - superb, I never needed to mess with it.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/102624314
  • My first guitar is a Bulgarian Orpheus. My father bought it used somewhere in the beginning of the 90-ties, but the guitar is made latest in the 70-ties. When I say "used" I really mean used - no idea how many people owned the guitar before me, but I the mileage of the neck can maybe go around the globe at least once. I still have it :)

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Jedson Telecaster, was walking to a mates in 1989 when a bloke walked  down his drive and asked if I wanted to buy it for a tenner. I had no interest in guitar but bought it anyway. If I'm being generous I'd say I overpaid him by £5. It was a ridiculous instrument, I ended up making a video a couple of years later smashing it up and setting it on fire. In the words of Scott Walker - No Regrets.
    Image result for Jedson Telecaster

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5587
    Another Axe owner here. I had the white Strat copy with 'Axe' in big black letters on the body. Came with a 'bee in a can' mini practice amp, tutorial book and tape. £89 from an ad in Kerrang!. And yes a very dodgy clear pvc bag @guitars4you
    It was plywood and a POS but it got me playing and that's the key thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3689
    An Avon Les Paul around the mid '70's.

Bought new and shop soiled from a shop that sold new guitars that were a bit scratched for IIRC £30.

After that I gave up for seventeen years! 
  • Marlin Sidewinder.  Straight neck, below average sounding pickups. 

The trem block snapped and that was the end of its playing days, but I tinkered with it and learned how to make guitars playable. 
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • My first electric guitar was a red Sunn Mustang strat copy back in '96. Remembered fondly and probably as good as the succession of crap guitars i bought until purchasing my American Series Fender strat in 1999
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    B-Stock Yamaha Pacifica, it was excellent - I was always pleased and yet at the same time dismayed to see they used one to record the samples in Total Guitar magazine at the time... Why didn't mine sound the same?!?!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    CSL Telecaster Custom (‘Keef’ style) copy in 1975. Really cool first electric - very playable.
    My second electric (and the first decent one) was a CSL Strat copy.  Very good guitar.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2440
    A natural finished Columbus Les Paul copy with obligatory bolt-on neck....£35 secondhand back in 1983.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    My first electric was an Encore strat-a-like in Fiesta Red. I took a jigsaw to the headstock and shaped it like a tele and installed flashing LED's in the pickguard. Still got it!
  • My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• scrumhalf said:
    You poor thing
  • Marlin. Nuff said.
    You didn't even have to say nuff said
  • I "borrowed" my brother's ropey old Kay "Les Paul" for quite a while and it was pretty rotten but the first guitar I actually bought for myself was a Yamaha RGX 321. It wasn't too bad really but I didn't have it that long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a squire strat and still have it.  Gigged it for a while.  It sounds great and plays superbly.  Still one of my goto guitars.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Kay LP copy. I killed it by death. Specifically I tried to convert it to a dual cut but I had no skills at the time. Probably around 1978.
  • Washburn GV3 (I think) Pointy headstock and Floyd Rose trem.  Black. At the time I thought I was Richie sambora in the never say goodbye vid  =)