The very first electric guitar you ever owned, how good or how crap ?

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited October 2017
    I think mine was a goody and I gigged it, eventually,once I was ready. It was 1980

It was a black Westbury Standard with cream  Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups.
    Neil McDonald of one-time Nightingale basses company did a superb set up on it.

I should never have sold it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    An Axe super strat shaped guitar. Parents got iir as a Christmas present from Grott Guitars in Newcastle. It was absolutely terrible mind
  • Utter Crap! I was around 15 in 1975 and bought a Zenta weird strat kind of thing from a local shop with a couple of old guys working there - organs, accordions, that kind of thing - I had no one to advise me and it was truly horrible, horrible old sales guys. Followed it with a Columbus SG which was reasonable. I think it looked like this one...

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62611

Pickups look like gold foils....
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Not too bad for a first guitar, I guess (to think I used to drool over the Marlin Sidewinder!)

Korean Squier Strat, purchased for £169 in 1988.  Currently resides in the living room as my 'pick up and noodle in front of the TV' guitar.  Shielded the cavity and scratchplate with kitchen foil.  Very skinny neck, grooves in the first few frets, but it's my first guitar and it's going nowhere.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FloofFloof Frets: 17
    Marlin Sidewinder. Wonky frets, twist in the neck.

Not at all good. 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    mine was a Marathon, a black HSS superstrat thing with a Kahler trem bought in what was then West Germany in the mid-80s. Everything about it was shit - plywood body, tone-killing Kahler, shit pickups, tone-killing neck that when I put it on a different body proved that it was truly tone-killing. 

It motivated me to save up for a proper instrument - if you can call a late 70s Fender Strat a proper guitar but I guess mine is, I stuck with it and a few pickup and hardware swaps later, and stripped of its poly finish it is still my main guitar. Choice for lefties was always a little limited. 

• Mine was a Sunbro strat copy in blonde but resprayed it black (amongst other colours) and fitted a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup in the neck position, still not sure why? 
    Good guitar though.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Marlin. Nuff said.
    Marlin Sidewinder here too! :)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9743
    scrumhalf said:
    I had the same, £25 from a pawn shop in Shotton. Yes it was crap, but I thought it was brilliant at the time. I didn't even have an amp for a few months, but I used to plug it in to my parents' 1960s radiogram. Amazing I stuck with it really, but here we are!

About a year later, my 16th birthday coincided with my (rather good) O-level results, and relatives kept giving me cards with fivers and tenners in them, which I spent in Andy's Guitar Workshop in Denmark Street on one of these:

https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.com/10483651-e9a0-4b39-b212-a48900c35580/f0cc503b-3d28-4a2e-b034-aabdf5b05c7b/original.jpg

Bolt on neck and a bent-ply top, but still a very nice guitar that served me well for the following five years.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 220
    I had a '92 Korean Squier Strat.  As far as I can remember the neck was OK, but the pickups were awful microphonic things, the tuners were dodgy, one of the pots fell apart and the body was plywood which showed the laminations through the finish after a couple of years and cracked at the neck pocket.  This blog remembers 1992 as the year when they got a bit crap, and if mine was indicative then they may be right.  https://planetbotch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/the-1992-squier-mik-stratocaster.html
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 220
    I had a '92 Korean Squier Strat.  As far as I can remember the neck was OK, but the pickups were awful microphonic things, the tuners were dodgy, one of the pots fell apart and the body was plywood which showed the laminations through the finish after a couple of years and cracked at the neck pocket.  This blog remembers 1992 as the year when they got a bit crap, and if mine was indicative then they may be right.  https://planetbotch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/the-1992-squier-mik-stratocaster.html
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    CSL Telecaster Custom (‘Keef’ style) copy in 1975. Really cool first electric - very playable.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    A Satellite Les Paul copy.  Was it any good?  It was a Satellite Les Paul copy, so... er... no.
  • Of all these first real six strings I'm wondering how many, if any, were bought at the five and dime?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine was a mid-60s Kawai S-170 electric which my uncle gave me shortly before he died. It's vaguely offset in shape and has a neck like a baseball bat (those of you who describe old Gibson necks this way have no idea!) and pickups that are microphonic as hell, but it sounds amazing.
    i still have it.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    A White Hohner Strat. It was fine as at it went. But I was twelve so Lord knows what I'd think of it now. Anyway, I loved it at the time. Think I sold it and 'upgraded' to a Red Columbus which was Tele shaped with 2 humbuckers and a pointy headstock. I would imagine those things have been rounded up by the Taste Police and buried in concrete by now.
  • It was a black Sunn Mustang - it was OK actually and did the job, I swapped it for an air rifle with a mate. I was mainly a bass player, so it was just for messing about and writing - it became a parts donor as I made a guitar for my Tech GCSE, so I still have the parts in the house but sitting my first built guitar made of oak IIRC
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555

Columbus Les Paul about 1975

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    scrumhalf said:
    I've got one of those. Surprisingly difficult to get to keep alight after the lighter fluid's burnt off. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • A 2003 Framus Renegade Custom. Telecaster style guitar. Veeery nice. Swamp-esh body, ovangkol neck, ebony fretboard, MOP-inlays. Locking tuners. Seymore Duncan PUs: 59 at neck position, Jeff Beck at bridge position. I loved it. I sold it. I regret it.  :'(