Boss 9v power supply

StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1468
Annoyingly, I have to buy one of these to power a single pedal live. Is there any advantage to buying one of the official Boss ones or am I as well getting one of the five quid cheapies from Amazon?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They all work the same, I would however be cautious of buying a no name Chinese adaptor that has not been tested. I might power your pedal properly, but could burn your house down - so buy from a reasonable supplier. Also the cheaper ones inject noise potentially due to cheap components/wiring.

Ignoring the safety and potential noise injection, 9v centre neg is 9v centre neg - just make sure there are enough amps being pumped out

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Any properly regulated 9V adaptor with the right plug size and polarity (tip negative, rare outside the guitar world) and a rating of 200mA or more should be fine - although some that aren't designed for pedals can also cause noise.

What pedal is it? If it's not a digital, you might be better just using a battery. I prefer to for a single pedal normally, it's less faff and clutter on stage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It's for a Neunaber Iconoclast. I have some shows coming up in Germany and I'm not taking an amp, so I want to try running the FX8 in stereo through it, and get it back in my foldback. No batteries :(
  • It's for a Neunaber Iconoclast. I have some shows coming up in Germany and I'm not taking an amp, so I want to try running the FX8 in stereo through it, and get it back in my foldback. No batteries :(
    Only seems to need 120ma so most will do - for the saving I would get the Boss or 1 spot - the one spot will run your whole analogue board as it has oodles of power on board, always keep one as a backup

How do you find the Iconoclast?
  • Haven't tried it yet, I'll give it a bash today. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If you PM me your address I'll send you (a decent) one for free. 
    mynamesnotbob said:

the one spot will run your whole analogue board as it has oodles of power on board, always keep one as a backup
    I'm not a fan of these very high capacity single power supplies - if something goes wrong, they have the capability to do a lot of damage to the pedal rather than shutting themselves down as happens with a low-rated supply. I have seen this several times...

If you need high capacity, get a proper power supply unit with multiple isolated outputs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah, bollocks, I just ordered one! 
    Just make absolutely certain you don't accidentally connect it to something that takes the wrong polarity or voltage and you *should* be ok. That's the biggest risk - they're quite capable of totally burning away the protection diode and then destroying the rest of the pedal. There is also a small risk with digital pedals with a 5V regulator, if that shorts input to output you can end up cooking all the digital chips.

These are probably fairly rare, admittedly - but it's the current capability of the supply that turns them from a minor repair into a total write-off.

• ICBM said:
    mynamesnotbob said:

the one spot will run your whole analogue board as it has oodles of power on board, always keep one as a backup
    I'm not a fan of these very high capacity single power supplies - if something goes wrong, they have the capability to do a lot of damage to the pedal rather than shutting themselves down as happens with a low-rated supply. I have seen this several times...

If you need high capacity, get a proper power supply unit with multiple isolated outputs.
    Yep, but as much fun as it is carrying a Zuma or equiv around as a spare he needs one output, so doesn’t need the expense of an isolated power supply with multiple high outputs for a single pedal.
    mynamesnotbob said:

Yep, but as much fun as it is carrying a Zuma or equiv around as a spare he needs one output, so doesn’t need the expense of an isolated power supply with multiple high outputs for a single pedal.
    Yes, but the point is that then it's safer to get a standard low-current supply and not one capable of delivering at least 1000mA. It's not the single supply that's the problem, it's the current capability.

I've seen a few pedals completely wrecked by One Spot-type power supplies, simply because the supply will happily keep on feeding current into a shorted diode or regulator.