Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Compressor pedals - getting lost

What's Hot
So long story short - been away for a while, now really back into playing and... Bought a CS-3 for my main board and just cannot gt on with it. After a lot of fiddling, it's giving my tele more punch but does sweet FA without more fiddling for the strat.
Looking for something that fits with my blues-y Moore - SRV vibe... Any ideas? So many out there that I don't know where to start!

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    The new Keeley Compressor Plus looks ok, some nice YT demos
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    FWIW, I tried Boss, Keeley, and MI compressors - and generally found that they squashed the basic tone too much (especially, as it happens, the CS3); this could be amusing, but wasn't useful most of the time.  I then bought a Wampler Ego Compressor, and set it to act much more as boost.  This, and the fact it has both a blend and tone knob, gave me much more control over the actual compression.  Took some calibration to set it right, but I now leave the EC on the whole time, and haven't looked elsewhere.  Gave me what I wanted. 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited October 2017
    I had the Wampler ego. Worth a look. 

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4846
    Hey, try this place for Comp reviews and advice:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/

He also has a recommendation list in there too, might be worth a look:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/toppicks.shtml

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    Hey, try this place for Comp reviews and advice:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/

Just to note: He's a bass player and reviews are focussed around suitability for bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4846
    Yeah sorry I should have stated that too, although I still find his reviews useful.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    edited October 2017
    Have you tried the cs3 in a different position on your board? Ie after overdrives
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    If you can get your hands on a Dinasaural compressor that blends in your original signal brilliantly 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    If you play blues why do you need a compressor?
  • pia98jf said:
    More punch on the solos, crisp on arpeggios. And they just sound nice :-)
    I've tried a few compressors over the years and never got on with any of them. I've concluded that for me, playing blues and classic rock through a decent valve amp and good OD pedals, a compressor just isn't necessary.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    Get this:

No, I'm not joking.
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    pia98jf said:
    If you say so. I don't seem to remember SRV worrying about that (or any other blues player I can think of for that matter).
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430

Others have mentioned the Wampler Ego and for what you want to achieve it would be a very good choice. The blend control makes all the difference. You can of course also use it like a standard compressor for that country guitar sound. Good for slide playing too if you want to stay fairly clean.

Suitable for blues? Well, the definition of blues seems to cover a lot of territory so let your own ears be the judge :)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited October 2017
    Wampler Ego although I now use a Strymon OB1 which is a compressor, clean boost and treble boost all in one package. Works well with my Strat.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    Cirrus said:
    Get this:

No, I'm not joking.
    Very nice comp. With a single coils it does fantastic chicken pickin' style compression with the defined attack and the Direct switch to mix in unaffected sound. One of the brightest, spankiest (is that even a word?) comps around. Quite a find.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Compressor pedals can just get lost.

;)

It's odd - I like the sound of compression when it's used by others on recordings, and I can even use it myself for recording, but I absolutely can't stand it for live playing. It totally robs the dynamics and the presence in the mix, unless you turn the level up far enough and then it suddenly becomes too loud and insensitive. Yes, I know that reducing dynamics is what they're meant to do :).

I do still own a compressor (Boss CS-2) but I never use it. Last time I did, I ended up constantly turning the compression down until it was basically off, and even then it still sounded better when I did actually turn it off. And yet I can't quite bring myself to get rid of it because I plug it in at home and like the sound of it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Recently picked up a Diamond Compressor on here and love it.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    ICBM said:
    And yet I can't quite bring myself to get rid of it because I plug it in at home and like the sound of it...
    And therein is an interesting point; to a large extent, pedals that affect dynamics can only be judged in relation to the context they're in; a dymamic range change in isolation doesn't mean as much as one when there's something else to have a volume relative to - drums, bass, vocals etc. Once those are in play, you have a mix you can either get lost within, stand out too much from, sit just right in the pocket etc.
  • pia98jf said:
    pia98jf said:
    If you say so. I don't seem to remember SRV worrying about that (or any other blues player I can think of for that matter).

Perhaps not, but his signal was compressed hard in the mix much of the time, most likely through an 1176.