Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Compressor pedals - getting lost

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    I got a a keeley when it was the compressor to get. It's good and if you want to nail a certain genre with a rickenbacker  it's great.

However as many gave said live it gets lost.

Also didn't srv and Moore play loud? Imho turn your amp up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wait, the cs3 doesn't do much to a strat?

Are you sure? Cs3s ate squishy and wonderful. Are your strat pickups too low? 
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    pia98jf said:
    pia98jf said:
    If you play blues why do you need a compressor?
    More punch on the solos, crisp on arpeggios. And they just sound nice :-)
    If you say so. I don't seem to remember SRV worrying about that (or any other blues player I can think of for that matter).

Perhaps not, but his signal was compressed hard in the mix much of the time, most likely through an 1176. 
    Well recording is a completely separate issue. The point I was trying to make, albeit somewhat facetiously, is that if the OP is not happy with his blues sound the answer is not blowing money on a compressor pedal. The answer is to get better at playing blues.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

I'm assuming we're talking house levels here, not cooking amps. You can use a compressor to get punch for blues and whatever else, but not sure about the CS3 for that. And Gary Moore amount of gain won't benefit from one really. I sometimes use my Keeley to add a real punchy attack, the threshold control can stop it putting a blanket on everything, and just be present when you want it.
    Presumably you have a Tubescreamer or similar for SRV moments, they feel pretty compressed to me anyway and wouldn't want to add a comp to that.

If you want to explore comps you might be better looking at ones with blend controls.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Don't know if the OP has disappeared ( too busy going around Waitrose on a vintage tricycle - I know, I've been to Harborne) but anyway surely this was designed for him:

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I always struggle with compressors. I built a Ross style clone and absolutely hated it. I did however discover with my CS3 that the key seems to be to keep the attack control quite high and the sustain control somewhere around 10 o'clock. This then just takes the edge off without sounding overly squashed.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    Wait, the cs3 doesn't do much to a strat?

Are you sure? Cs3s ate squishy and wonderful. Are your strat pickups too low? 
    That was my thought too. The CS-3 gets a lot off scorn when in fact it's a perfectly decent compressor as long as it's adjusted to the individual guitar's pickups.