1974 Fender Pro reverb amp

What's Hot
Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
edited October 2017 in Amps
Hi guys, I have been offered this amp in a trade against some gear I'm selling for £450

I'm not sure what it would be worth, needs a service I've been told...

https://i.imgur.com/KxazlzQ.jpg

any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Les

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Depends on condition, but between £600-£900
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    RiftAmps said:
    Depends on condition, but between £600-£900
    it looks well used ( see image above) but sounds 100%
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    "Needs a service" could cover a range of problems but I would think that's a decent price if the internals haven't been modded.   Factor in the price it possibly needing caps and/or valves replacing.    

Back in in the day when these weren't very fashionable I swapped one for distortion pedal.  Needed some work on it but still a stupid decision- I'd have another one if I could.   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    That's not a '74, it's '76 or later and is the 'Ultra-Linear' 70W/solid-state rectifier version - you can tell by the mid controls (four knobs on the Normal channel) and master volume.

These are much less desirable - although still a very good amp, they are louder and harder-sounding, and much heavier - more like a slightly quieter Twin than like the earlier 40W Pro.

£450 is about right or maybe even a little high if it needs servicing and that is an unknown quantity. SF Fenders can need fairly substantial work now, but even if it's just a simple re-cap and cleanup that's a £100 job or so, and it could be worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    Thanks Guy's I think I'll pass on this deal - could cost more than it's worth :(

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Good call in my opinion, they are not that much lighter than a Twin Reverb, so still a big lump to carry around if you are gigging, and as IC says, the SFs are starting to cost money to get up to scratch, particularly if caps, valves, reverb tanks, speakers, scratchy pots etc. come into play, which is what I am finding to greater or lesser degrees these days.

All that said, the ultra linears are very loud and very clean.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom