There will be prizes!!

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
I thought I'd post this, just in here for now, to get your views (as regular contributors to the various "of the month" challenges) on this suggestion ...

I have a number of prizes for this.  And these are nice prizes!

I'm thinking that perhaps we run a cross-challenge competition from the start of Nov through to mid-Dec (just so that prizes can be sent out and received before Christmas).

The idea of cross-challenge is so that entries could be a simple riff, or something more complex, or a solo over a track picked by the entrant, etc.  Anything as long as it meets the theme.  Probably time-limited too.

The theme could be "what I'd like to hear when I open my Christmas card".

The objective is really to generate a bit more interest and a few more entrants.  Hence focus all attention on a single challenge (replacing the various other challenges for Nov/Dec) with a relevant theme.  

I'd appreciate thoughts, comments, suggestions ...
:)
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27046
    Sounds good. If I can work out how the hell to record stuff with my ipad or mac I'll be there
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I like it, anything to get more people involved.  With todays tech in most peoples homes it is  easier than ever to do the actual recording, and once you start you realize that it's not that hard to come up with something interesting.      Once you get over the idea that it's not life or death, just a fun way to get ideas out there(and maybe even win a prize) you'll want to enter all the time.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I like the idea. As @DulcetJones said, it would be good to get more people involved.
    It's not a competition.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I'd be up for this, it's been a few years since I've enetered anything.

Another thought I had to get more people interested maybe, as I'm as guilty as anyone for not taking the time to listen to the RotM and Compossion challenges - how about doing a winners cup, so all the past winners of RotM go through several heats to end with an eventual overall winner. It might just be an alternative idea to get some people tuned into it who aren't at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    dindude said:
     how about doing a winners cup, so all the past winners of RotM go through several heats to end with an eventual overall winner
    Hmmmmm ...

There's something in there to think about.

I feel that perhaps the challenges don't have enough profile on the forum.  Most people forget that they're there. 

Don't know whether an overall "winner" is quite the right approach though.  Despite it being a bit primary-schoolish, I've come around to the view that everyone who manages to find the time to get something submitted is a "winner" (which makes me a loser 90% of the time!) and pretty much all the submissions that I've heard have had something good about them.

Because there's so much good stuff in there, I'd love to do something with the submissions other than leave them to the obscurity of SoundCloud.

Maybe it's time for a theFretBoard compilation CD ...

("what's a CD, dad?").
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Good idea, although I think I'd have defined categories so it has focus and purpose - guitar riff, guitar solo, instrumental guitar track, guitar track with vocals (we have a few decent singers) etc.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
    Ive never entered and Ive got a really daft (dumb) question...

Do you simply submit the entry via Soundcloud only ? Or is there other software/uploads ?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    Submit the entry in mp3 format by email.

We then upload all the submissions onto Soundcloud (forum's account).

• TTony said:
    dindude said:
     how about doing a winners cup, so all the past winners of RotM go through several heats to end with an eventual overall winner
    Hmmmmm ...

There's something in there to think about.

I feel that perhaps the challenges don't have enough profile on the forum.  Most people forget that they're there. 

Don't know whether an overall "winner" is quite the right approach though.  Despite it being a bit primary-schoolish, I've come around to the view that everyone who manages to find the time to get something submitted is a "winner" (which makes me a loser 90% of the time!) and pretty much all the submissions that I've heard have had something good about them.

Because there's so much good stuff in there, I'd love to do something with the submissions other than leave them to the obscurity of SoundCloud.

Maybe it's time for a theFretBoard compilation CD ...

("what's a CD, dad?").
    How about combining this all into some kind of forum selection process for what gets put on a Fretboard compilation CD, with the profits from said CD going either to Fretboard funds or, alternatively, to a designated charity/charities?

Compositions, riffs, solos could all be accomodated onto the CD. Maybe one (or more) of the many wonderful guitar self-builds could be nominated for the CD cover artwork (with some nice photography)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like a good idea.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.