SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Amps that are uncontrollable bastids ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
edited October 2017 in Amps £
From previous experience with a fender hot rod iii

Rush home to try out new tube combo purchased from Dawson's

Hurriedly take up to bedroom out of sight of wife

Plug guitar in and switch standby off

BWAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Turn right off and gently touch volume control

Plug into lower sensitivity input and gently touch volume control

Swear profusely and put back in box

Take back to Dawson's with suitable bullshit story to get a refund as it wasn't bought online

If the mk iii is an improved version god help anyone with a mk I or a mk ii and wants an amp they can use indoors too.

Anyone got any other stories about uncontrollable bastids of amps ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it for sale? Lol!
  • For ***ks sake this is wrong forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9718
    edited October 2017
    I had a version one and it was perfect at home on very low volume, I did get a volume box for the loop for extra control but didn't really need it to be honest, I found being careful with the knobs was sufficient. Start at zero and nice upwards maybe?

It's my favourite amp I've owned, I currently have a Princeton which does not sound as good at low volume, in fact it doesn't go as quiet at all
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited October 2017
    Jim Kelley Combo at home...

Volume that loud it pulled all the lintels out of the house...

And, it was heavier than a Lancaster...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I use my Amps at home sometimes just to try a few pedal sounds out and program them in etc. I'd never practise with a valve amp as all the goodness is in their volume or when their valves start to work and my household and neighbours would hate me. So no point even trying.  For practice I use a tascam gadget. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    I guess it depends on your style and preferences...

I predominantly play clean/bit of break up so thr Rambler works well at home, and a controlled Redplate also will work :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    edited October 2017
    I find the clean channel of the Hot Rod goes from nothing to too loud at gig volumes let alone home use. So I invented this -1 

Just pop it into the top of an HRD or Blues Deluxe and Voila ...instant master volume 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Those deluxe/devilles need a 12ay7 in v1 to even out the volume control. My old '93 Blues deville was a git in the sense you never knew what it would sound like when you switched it on, whether it would buzz or be friendly with pedals.
  • Jim Kelley Combo at home...

I genuinely guffawed at that...

Consider it stolen. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Fender Twin,,,,,,,,just why ;)

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10.  Evil thing.
  • Carvin legacy 1 head. Blows the windows out with the volume on 1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jim Kelley Combo at home...

I genuinely guffawed at that...

Consider it stolen. 
    Thanks mate - true enough though, the bastard thing...
  • sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    I had a version one and it was perfect at home on very low volume, I did get a volume box for the loop for extra control but didn't really need it to be honest, I found being careful with the knobs was sufficient. Start at zero and nice upwards maybe?

It's my favourite amp I've owned, I currently have a Princeton which does not sound as good at low volume, in fact it doesn't go as quiet at all
    What specific volume box did you use ?
  • sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28

Danny1969 said:
    I find the clean channel of the Hot Rod goes from nothing to too loud at gig volumes let alone home use. So I invented this -1 

Just pop it into the top of an HRD or Blues Deluxe and Voila ...instant master volume 

(Manual, pg7) Plugged into the jacks indicated at ‘O’ ?

It’s a properly earthed voltage divider ?
  • sm55onl said:

What specific volume box did you use ?
    It was one of these in the loop though I note they don't sell them on eBay any more

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www2.sussexbargains.co.uk/pdf_datasheet.php?products_id=1102&ved=0ahUKEwjKs-uWtOHWAhVRb1AKHTkbCpAQFggpMAE&usg=AOvVaw2ePv8Zl4qSRHfqHZUhHEWQ

http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-21247-0-89073400-1322948898.jpg

Though any passive volume box in the loop would work. Do you have a multi fx you could put in the loop? That works as well albeit more power requirements. That way you could also set up an eq, delay or reverb in the fx loop as well though
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    sm55onl said:

Danny1969 said:

Not got a manual to hand but it plugs into the pre amp out  \ power amp in sockets on top of the amp and yes it's a simple potential divider 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    sm55onl said:

Danny1969 said:

Not got a manual to hand but it plugs into the pre amp out  \ power amp in sockets on top of the amp and yes it's a simple potential divider 
    How could you use it with FX pedals in loop ?
  • Danny1969 said:
    sm55onl said:

Danny1969 said:

Put it before the loop pedals in the loop.
    Danny1969 said:
    sm55onl said:

Danny1969 said:

Ah if you use pedals in the loop then it's a different design which is basically just a box containing a volume pot  (in my case a tuna can containing a volume pot which can be bypassed for a clean boost :~) )

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom