Matt Umanov - NY Dealer to call it a day

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14469
edited October 2017 in Guitar tFB Trader
One of New York's long established and firm favourite for many customers has decided to call it a day - Granted many UK customers have probably not visited or heard of Matt' s store, but he is an old favourite and very much an old school dealer who has decided to call it  a day  - http://www.umanovguitars.com/

Further more Matt is/was one of the last guitar dealers to survive in NY with only Rudy's Music Shop now the last of the old guard independents still in/on or around 48th Street

Times are a changing
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27336
    Oh shit. I was hoping to go there for a few minutes in the spring. A real shame.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Sad times for sure.  His guitar shop was a NY City landmark for the guitar nerd.  
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    does he suggest why he's closing ? 

it was a nice shop to visit.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    Sad? Not for him. He's off to enjoy life and spend his money. He's not gone out of business nor thrown in the towel but just easing himself into retirement because he's of that age. That's not really 'calling it a day' 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    Sad? Not for him. He's off to enjoy life and spend his money. He's not gone out of business nor thrown in the towel but just easing himself into retirement because he's of that age. That's not really 'calling it a day' 
    Completely agree, he's put a big shift in, time for a rest.

"....it is finally time for me to close this chapter of my life, relax some, travel some, play with the grandkids, all that kind of thing..." 

Good for him, like anyone else after a lifetime of work, he's earned it. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Rudy's left 48th St some while ago. It's in Soho now at Broome St. I went in there a couple of months ago and was underwhelmed.

Main Drag Music in Brooklyn was a let-down too. 

Neither can hold a candle to Coda or Peach. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14469
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:

"....it is finally time for me to close this chapter of my life, relax some, travel some, play with the grandkids, all that kind of thing..." 

that's the way I see it and heard it

sorry I did not mean 'calling it a day' as in having to for financial reasons, just 'calling it a day' based on years served and a retirement program taking over

Not sure if it has been placed on the market for sale or not and if so you assume no potential takers
  • Strat54 said:

sorry I did not mean 'calling it a day' as in having to for financial reasons, just 'calling it a day' based on years served and a retirement program taking over

Not sure if it has been placed on the market for sale or not and if so you assume no potential takers
    Don't be getting any ideas young 'un...you've still got a few years left to do..

Nose, grind stone...

Hee Hee. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14469
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:

Don't be getting any ideas young 'un...you've still got a few years left to do..

Nose, grind stone...

Hee Hee. 
    I'm content now with the set-up I have, so with health pending then yes a few more years to go - and looking forward to it - I  can now enjoy what I buy and sell and can 'ignore' the rest - May 2018 will be my 40th year at it full time
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:

Nose, grind stone...

Hee Hee. 
    I'm content now with the set-up I have, so with health pending then yes a few more years to go - and looking forward to it - I  can now enjoy what I buy and sell and can 'ignore' the rest - May 2018 will be my 40th year at it full time
    40 years in any profession is something to be admired...and with years in the guitar game counting as dog years, you've been at this 280 of the buggers.... have next Tuesday off, I'll clock you in. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    edited October 2017
    Strat54 said:

He's 70 now and actually owns the premises which is rare is this day and age. I would guess they will have a lot more value being sold for another purpose. That's how I retired before 50....owned premises M&S came and gave me a big cheque! Like me Matt was working 60 hours a week and there comes a point when you realise that actually you don't need to anymore. The customers were gutted though. Hey ho....

I'm hoping for a closing sale reduction on this Alan Hamel Tele, 
    http://www.umanovguitars.com/category/old-stuff/solid-body-electric/1995-fender-telecaster-custom-shop/

Apparently they sold 30 guitars the first day they announced closure!

• I lived close to them in the 1990s , God knows how I didn't blow every penny I had in there . 

I went in there once to buy an LP standard and he talked me into buying a PRS custom 24 instead. He must have realised I wasn't a proper muso and just a city boy with money to burn - very astute chap :-)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Bullox. Especially as I was in NYC last week, but I did go widdle in Guitar Centre instead ('cos it remains open until 11pm), where I witnessed a couple of NY Police bashing out some Jimi Hendrix.

Had Sam Ash on my list, but did too much of the typical sightseeing to worry about not going.

However, I did get to see Chick Corea & Steve Gadd at The Blue Note and their guitarist from Benin called Lionel Loueke - who was an living exercise in minimalism, but steamed his jazzy-blues solo when he got the nod to let rip.

Hey ho.
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    Yes, sad about Matt Umanov's; always a great store, with a good stock of lovely things.  So too was Ludlow Street Guitars - which is now no longer on Ludlow Street, but has moved to Brooklyn, which seems to be the new centre of gravity for a lot of NYC musicians...

However, Rudy's 'new' shop in Soho is a must see; if you're in New York, please take some time to visit this spectacular split level treat for the ears and eyes.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    Brexit to blame no doubt...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Brexit to blame no doubt...
    Why would Brexit be to blame? It's all going swimmingly isn't it?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    edited October 2017
    About as over-priced and snobby as any guitar store I've ever set foot in. Resembled more a museum than a guitar shop. Same could be said for Rudy's. Still, it is NYC. 

I like Southside Guitars in Williamsburg or Ludlow Guitars. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    dcg said:
    Yes, sad about Matt Umanov's; always a great store, with a good stock of lovely things.  So too was Ludlow Street Guitars - which is now no longer on Ludlow Street, but has moved to Brooklyn, which seems to be the new centre of gravity for a lot of NYC musicians...

However, Rudy's 'new' shop in Soho is a must see; if you're in New York, please take some time to visit this spectacular split level treat for the ears and eyes.
    :/
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    fandango said:
    where I witnessed a couple of NY Police bashing out some Jimi Hendrix.

Don't you mean bashing some poor fellow who looks a bit like Jimi Hendrix?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom