Which one? (Tele GAS) + N Boring G D

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Veganic said:
    axisus said:
    I like Tele's a lot but I don't like the look of either of them!
    Not yellow enough?
    To be honest, stock photos tend to look so generic and sterile. A photo with a bit more Mojo would help to make them look better. 

If someone offered me one for free I'd be happy with either! (well, if right handed)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I think I have decided to just get a CV 50 Squier (and a blindfold). No one is really saying that the ones picture are anything special.
  • How about a blonde American Special?  Even new they are only around 840 ish
    How about a blonde American Special?  Even new they are only around 840 ish
    Didn't know of these but don't seem to be available for "upside down*" players.

Thanks anyway.
    edited October 2017
    So, the CV tele arrived today.  
    I'll share some of my first thoughts.  This is probably old news to most of you but being a left hander* I don't really get to play many guitars. 

First of all it is very shiny and yellow.  It's like holding a little, slimmed-down polished Homer Simpson. I don't know if a plank of wood has any right being so shiny and yellow. (I have never had a maple board before.)

The neck still feels a tiny bit chunky to me. The edges are a little square, rolled edges would be wonderful. The frets feel more at the medium that jumbo end of medium jumbo. 9.5 rad I like but I bet I would like 7.25 even more. Action as delivered is nice. 1.5/2.0mm at 12th according to the QC label. Buzzing at the bottom end of the bottom end with a bit of force but nothing I can't live with. **

The sound.  Unamplifed it rings nicely - I like it. Amplified, well, it sounds like a telecaster which is as surprising as it should be unsurprising.  Pickups not as noisey as I was expecting.  With gain I have to switch to the neck pickup to get something useable and akin to what I'd get on a bridge humbucker. 

Playing.  It's not a fight at all. Chords and arpeggios come naturally. Leads are need a little more getting used to but vibrato and bends are easy. It seems a bit harsh for funky chords, needs some ( a lot of?) compression and strumming at the end of the neck. Overall, feels a bit like playing an acoustic, but with 9s. It hangs nicely too, though I've never had a strap pulled so short.

Actually holding a Tele is interesting.  You appreciate the efficient design of the body.  A slab of wood with just enough removed and no more.***

The history of Western philosophy has been said to be a seried of footnotes to Plato.  Maybe the history of the electric guitar is just footnotes to the Telecaster.

OK, OK, i am getting carried away. The guitar is alright. I might keep it.

*I know, my fault.

Edits:

**I forgot to mention how the string spacing or the curve seems to be great for hybrid picking.

***Did I mention how all the routing seems to be from one side - genius.
    And the recessed socket.

I wanted something to stop me turning the gain up and playing metal on a humbucker guitar even though I hardly ever listen to it anymore and I am not good enough.