Naming Guitars...

What's Hot

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    drippycat said:
    To the OP, could you possibly un delete the joke? I'm curious & I don't mind being offended in the comfort and privacy of my own home.

I didn't see the joke but going from the previous comments it was something about Mary Spender, most likely some sort of innuendo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12086
    drippycat said:
    To the OP, could you possibly un delete the joke? I'm curious & I don't mind being offended in the comfort and privacy of my own home.

I didn't see the joke but going from the previous comments it was something about Mary Spender, most likely some sort of innuendo. 
    Yup, I'm like a walking carry on film I'm afraid
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Like my cars, I think I named the first few. And ran out of inspiration after

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Naming a guitar or car for the hells sake of it seems quite self involved. Like giving yourself a nickname when you introduced to new people.

It needs to either be earned or be part of a need. Like if you're a big touring artist, playing in 3 tunings with a back up, on the same style guitar. Even then from a lot of rig rundowns they seem to get an 'A' or 'B' name.

That being said my first car was named 'pleb' by my dad, due to the number plate ending PLB, and the fact that it was a beat up piece of shit.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Like my cars, I think I named the first few. And ran out of inspiration after

I named my car Bonnie Tyler, because every now and then it falls apart.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I think some folk are taking this waaaaaaay too seriously - it's just a bit of fun to name things  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14469
    tFB Trader
    proggy said:

thought you were going to say that you got lost in France
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:

thought you were going to say that you got lost in France

That was on my motorbike.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Curiously, my guitars named me. I'm the Master. Mrs A is the screaming banshee.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Notice how everyone's avoiding the other 'man toy' that we name. Or do we have to 'earn the right' to do that too? Ha!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    Er- like NO!  - I don't even think of my car as a him or her...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I don't particularly understand this concept of earning the right to name your main guitars as I am happy in naming mine once I have had them for a time, and have gigged with them. Oddly enough the car has no name, not do any other of my musical instruments. I can understand though that some do not see the need to name their "weapon" ;) 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11484
    I'm not into naming things - not even animals.  I normally just refer to our cat as Cat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Actually, all the guitars that I build have names - Angel, Chi Rho, Mateus so far

I need reference names for the folder of computer files (there's usually a lot!) and numbers don't work. Guitar build 1 was only half mine, so guitar 2 was first really, guitar 3 got abandoned, guitar 4 I think of as guitar 2, guitar 3 failed but parts are going onto the original guitar 1 so that is either 1 or 4 now. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

When we do this old chestnut, someone's already normally mentioned @Clarky by now:

"I have 6 "stage guitars" - all named after the deadly sins. The current babe that yields the greatest shwing is Avarice - 7-string Morgan Custom."

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    AlexC said:
    Funnily enough I named my guitars about a month ago. This is partly because I have 2 Pacificas, so saying 'hand me the Pacifica, please' didn't work any more. My names are very unoriginal - 
    Natural Wood Pacifica - Woody
    Silver Pacifica - Silver
    Squier Bullet - Bullet
    Danelectro - Dan
    Epiphone LP Standard  - The 45. (Because it cost me £45 at an auction)
    It's just a useful way of defining what's what really, rather than some romantic notion. I haven't even started on the acoustics.
    What's wrong with the first column?  "Hand me the Silver Pacifica"!
  • DLM said:

When we do this old chestnut, someone's already normally mentioned @Clarky by now:

"I have 6 "stage guitars" - all named after the deadly sins. The current babe that yields the greatest shwing is Avarice - 7-string Morgan Custom."

Also there are the two Morgan Vs named after the Celt tribes, Ordovices and Silures.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited October 2017
    DLM said:

Also there are the two Morgan Vs named after the Celt tribes, Ordovices and Silures.
    haaa.. yes.. all my guitars are named.. and they belong to families [Sins, Celts, Sisters]

there's nothing wrong with naming guitars..
    it's completely harmless and nothing more than a bit of fun..

I don't see why some folks get all bent out of shape about this..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @aord43 I see your point, but I'm impatient. 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited October 2017
    Clarky said:

haaa.. yes.. all my guitars are named.. and they belong to families [Sins, Celts, Sisters]

My favourites of your guitars are in the following order, Scissors, Pointer and Seven.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.