Techie Advice;

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    Personally I wouldn't take any kind of even slightly valuable guitar just to noodle a bit on holiday. The chances of loss, theft, damage, confiscation, trouble if they perceive any part of it or the tools you need to be a potential weapon etc are not zero.

I'd probably pick up something cheap when I was there if it matters that much. If that isn't likely to be possible, just get a cheap Squier or similar. With a maple fingerboard these days...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14472
    tFB Trader

make sure you put any screw driver etc in the case as well as they can't go on as hand luggage - I accidentally left my Leatherman in a rucksack this year after a walk a few days earlier - the second it was flagged under x-ray I knew what it was - by by Leatherman and I bet they don't bin it either
    And yet they let people take duty free on board, despite the fact that a bottle of spirits could start a nice fire and the broken bottle would make a nasty weapon. Just goes to show what BS most of this airport security thing really is, and how profit always comes first.
    never thought of that

I recall when my daughter was about 3 or 4 and packed a small bag of goodies for the hols - Got to the security check in and she had a skipping rope in her bag - we got told of about that but they did allow her to keep it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27350

make sure you put any screw driver etc in the case as well as they can't go on as hand luggage - I accidentally left my Leatherman in a rucksack this year after a walk a few days earlier - the second it was flagged under x-ray I knew what it was - by by Leatherman and I bet they don't bin it either
    And yet they let people take duty free on board, despite the fact that a bottle of spirits could start a nice fire and the broken bottle would make a nasty weapon. Just goes to show what BS most of this airport security thing really is, and how profit always comes first.
    never thought of that

I recall when my daughter was about 3 or 4 and packed a small bag of goodies for the hols - Got to the security check in and she had a skipping rope in her bag - we got told of about that but they did allow her to keep it
    I've often heard it referred to as the "Theatre of Security". Some airports even have multiple security points, which is delightful. Presumably they think that either 1) the first set isn't thorough enough, in which case I wonder why they bother, or 2) they're concerned the staff might do something between security #1 and the gates, which is terrifying...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    It's worth remembering that you have effectively no property rights - and very few personal ones either - when you travel by air. Customs and security have more or less unlimited powers to search, destroy or confiscate your belongings and you have no recourse. Theft by airport employees is also well-known and the authorities will do nothing. Don't travel with anything you can't afford to lose, basically.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1061
    I just had my oldest strat set up in the uk. It travelled in two pieces in my suitcase! Had to as i was taking my les paul on-board. Once it was set uo had it couriered home. No issues.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1061
    As an aside, previous comments about thep lack of rights when travelling are spot on.

i had a friend who was ex DEA, homeland security etc. He used to shudder and say 'the rules are different up there'. Hated flying because of it.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    ICBM said:
    It's worth remembering that you have effectively no property rights - and very few personal ones either - when you travel by air. Customs and security have more or less unlimited powers to search, destroy or confiscate your belongings and you have no recourse. Theft by airport employees is also well-known and the authorities will do nothing. Don't travel with anything you can't afford to lose, basically.

Slightly off topic but I've had issues with belt buckles and a luminous tag on my keyring (lets you find your keys in the dark).

Frustrating thing is that there is zero consistency, what is ok with one airport is a no no with another.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391

My dad (travels a lot with work) often buys my mom some potion or smelly thing from DF (ie, the whole point is that you're about to take it on a plane) and, last spring, some jobsworth in either Brussels or Vienna airport told him that he had to bin ~£100 of unopened duty free goods coz they couldn't go on the plane.  After my dad argued that it was inconsistent, the guard backed down for some reason. Which begs the question, why say anything in the first place? Just flexing his authority?