(Coming) back from the dead

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    And I don't even do it for the grainfill... i buff off straight away so it only gives a partial fill at best.  But it's a good technique for many scenarios - except colours.

i just got some Osmo oil so will give that a try
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    I've been trialling Osmo on some non-guitar stuff I'm making. It's a lot cheaper than Tru-Oil, and doesn't have so much of a yellow tinge. You can colour it with Oil paint pigments, but the result is opaque rather than the translucence which lets the grain pattern show.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1794
    If you want to get translucent colour on Osmo oil soluable analine dyes work fine and you can get cherry yellow brown black etc you will have to work on the quantity by eye but that will let the grain through for trans finishes
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader

You know what else...

I actually have a couple of cans but haven't tried it yet..  You can get Tru Oil in spray cans..  For some reason the spray version is clear rather than amber tinted.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27626
    I've been doing more on this than I've been sharing

Decided that the neck needed a refret.  It came from eBay/China originally for £not-a-lot, but the fret ends had been over-filed (think 30deg rather than 60deg), so  there was more risk/likelihood of the strings sliding off.

So, decided to take the old ones out and, whilst they were out, add some fret markers too, then refret and practice some levelling and polishing skills.  Which took a while.

Finally felt brave enough to glue it in place, and thought I'd do a test fit of everything (a) to give me the motivation to carry on with it and get it done (it's taken years to this point), and (b) to check that everything passed the test fit!

Need to  rout out the pickup cavities at each end so that the screws fit, and need to do something with the selector switch cavity (the top is too thick, so I need to rout it out some more).  Which is why there's no selector switch in the pic.

The pickups are Gibson PAFs.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Very nice Tony!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yes - looking good :)