Which Boss OD-1?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
I fancy a couple of Bosses on my board for simplicity reasons and minimal fuss, hugely tempted by an original OD-1 what I should look out for and how do the late 70's OD-1's compare to a late 80's? prices seem to be all over the place. Any help greatly appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2589
    tFB Trader
    The one I had was very bright with no tone control, have you tried one before?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    edited October 2017
    The original 14 pin version is the one that gets the love and correspondingly high prices. I've had a couple using the later 4558 ic and I'd say it's a good drive if you can turn up the amp otherwise it loses too much low end.

Here are the basic revisions -

http://www.bossarea.com/boss-od-1-over-drive/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Never! but I'm intrigued and I'm in a pedal flipping phase currently, how did you find the gain on it? 
  • I didn't find the one I tried vastly different to an sd-1 to be honest! 
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    If you want to pay a lot for a Boss overdrive I would get an SD-1 Waza. You get the same basic sound as the OD-1, a tone control, an extra mode and the bypass bleed fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    If you want to pay a lot for a Boss overdrive I would get an SD-1 Waza. You get the same basic sound as the OD-1, a tone control, an extra mode and the bypass bleed fixed.
    Yeah the SD-1 Waza is amazing, best Boss overdrive around at the minute.  

Stay away from the OD-1X @builttospill.  it's not bad, but it's not as transparent as the Waza.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom