Recommend me a wah pedal...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
I currently own the cheapest ncarnation of the Vox CryBaby (didn't want to spend a lot of money at the time as it was bought for just one song at just one event).

Got it out again yesterday evening and quite enjoyed playing with it (Ooh-err missus), but realised that, really, it could sound quite a bit better - not sure I can explain it particularly well, but it feels like the volume drops quite a bit at the lower end of the sweep. Also, it lacks a status light, and the mechanism for operating the pot all looks a bit flimsy (not that I've ever heard of one breaking).

Looking to spend a maximum of £150. Needs to have a status light, and needs to be rather more robust (or at least inspire a bit more confidence) than what I've got now. Soundwise, I'm thinking Clapton's Tales of Brave Ulysses.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2017
    Dunlop/CAE. Has the LED and two voices plus an inbuilt boost. Superb way. 

Slighty over budget new but worth it. 
  • Or get the Castledine drop in kit for your Vox.
  • BBE Ben Wah.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    Or get the Castledine drop in kit for your Vox.
    This. £150 will get you a primo wah, but you needn't spend it all.

The BBE sounds great at a good price (although mine needs a new pot - luckily I have one of Castledine's ready to stick in it)

Or get a secondhand GCB95, ditch the input buffer, swap out a few resistors for different values, enjoy your great sounding wah.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Wilson Effects makes nice wahs.  RMC are well regarded, too
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• vizviz Frets: 10700
    Bad Horsie!

switchless
    sprung
    indestructible
    wide sweep
    very slight volume increase
    cool
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 135
    I have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe which I'm willing to part with ..... pretty versatile and it's got a red light .... drop me a pm if you're interested.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited October 2017
    I have a Boss P-wah for sale.  optical so no scratchy pot. built like a tank.  models several vintage wahs.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3880
    edited October 2017
    I've had various Teese RMC's, CAE, Fulltone, Wilson, Castledine, but the one that's stuck on my board for the longest (still there) is the Xotic. Just enough tweakability, compact and outstanding tone. Love it. They come up used now and then.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    Sonuus Wahoo
    http://www.sonuus.com/products_wahoo.html

Every wah sound you could ever want (but I don't), ridiculously configurable and absolutely solid.  Yup, I've got one that I keep intending to put in the Classifieds.  
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2976
    @TTony If you do - and there's no dibs claimed here, of course - I've been mulling over one of these for a while........
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    viz said:
    Bad Horsie!

switchless
    sprung
    indestructible
    wide sweep
    cool
    Looks like the kind of thing I'm after (tough, good reputation, and not too many settings to adjust). A few questions though...

Presumably it can be powered from a power supply block rather than a battery? 

I see there's a Bad Horsie 1 and a Bad Horsie 2 - are you recommending one over the other?

A few on-line reviews seem to suggest that when turned off that it still affects tone. I'd be surprised given the Steve Vai connection but just wondered if you had any thoughts on this?

Thanks
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    edited October 2017
    I have one of the new Boss PW-3 Analogue Wahs up for sale on the Classifieds. 

It has a status light and the choice of a either a vintage or modern mode. 

Solidly made and it's smaller than a regular wah but not a mini.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    BBE Ben Wah.

This!
    HAL9000 said:
    viz said:
    Bad Horsie!

switchless
    sprung
    indestructible
    wide sweep
    cool
    Looks like the kind of thing I'm after (tough, good reputation, and not too many settings to adjust). A few questions though...

Presumably it can be powered from a power supply block rather than a battery? 

I see there's a Bad Horsie 1 and a Bad Horsie 2 - are you recommending one over the other?

A few on-line reviews seem to suggest that when turned off that it still affects tone. I'd be surprised given the Steve Vai connection but just wondered if you had any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Yep, standard boss power supply will do. I've never had the Horsie 2 - I think it's the same actual effects circuit, just with more options. I've never noticed a change in tone with it off!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    Unless you plan to abuse a wah all might and every night, I'd stick with what you have (maybe the Castledine kit). TBH your ears will tell you if the wah is on (or you won't ever need a guitar worth more than £300). That said I once did about 3 numbers into a second set trying to figure out the bright sound because someone had stood on the wah during the break! Embrace the rawness and let it do it's thing.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6695
    I have a CAE and a Fulltone Clyde Standard for sale here...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113080/fx-for-sale-a-whole-varied-bunch-up-for-grabs#latest

Both great pedals. I think though that the CAE has the edge. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    ESBlonde said:
     TBH your ears will tell you if the wah is on (or you won't ever need a guitar worth more than £300). That said I once did about 3 numbers into a second set trying to figure out the bright sound because someone had stood on the wah during the break! Embrace the rawness and let it do it's thing.
    I agree with you that my ears should (and normally do) tell me. However, on a noisy stage, as you've admitted, it's not always immediately apparent. Also, the switch on my current wah doesn't have a particularly positive 'click', more a rubbery resistance so it's not always obvious that the wah has been switched off. 
    Which is why switchless sprung is so good. You set a tiny delay at the heel end, so it stays on the ooo sound for quarter a second or so then switches off. The only thing that can happen is if you get a lead caught under the heel (but it has a light anyway)
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I can see why LEDs are a good idea, I've made the same mistake and that's at home :)