Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My 25 "significant" albums

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• TTony said:
    The walls of my new office were looking rather bare, and so I did a couple of canvases of "things" that meant something to me.

One was guitar-related, and another was music (CD) related.

A 5x5 matrix of album covers that have been "significant" to me during my life in one way or another.  Not my "best" or "favourite" albums, not even the ones that I play most often, and certainly not anything that wins trendy or cool points, but probably my "desert island" albums.  It's the music that has most meaning for me.

Each one has a significance, a whole series of memories, for different events in my life that I now see as significant.

Having done that, I thought that perhaps we get too caught up in what's technically good, what's popular, what the critics say we should be listening too, and none of that is really the point of music.

The point should be what it means to us, individually.

Just thought I'd share, but not sure why!
    :)

Nice to see Gladsome, Humour & Blue on there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can whittle it down to 4 most significant albums.

In order :  

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    Van Morrison - Into the Music
    Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
    Wilco - Being There

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27524
    You must have played those 4 a lot @biglicks67!

Gladsome was the album that really got me into Martin Stephenson, although Wholly Humble Heart was the track that did it.  I'd heard that on a compilation album (Rainbow Warriors IIRC) and then hunted out Martin Stephenson to hear some more.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    You must have played those 4 a lot @biglicks67!

Gladsome was the album that really got me into Martin Stephenson, although Wholly Humble Heart was the track that did it.  I'd heard that on a compilation album (Rainbow Warriors IIRC) and then hunted out Martin Stephenson to hear some more.
    Yep, I particularly love the feel of side 2 of that album. I remember seeing them at the Ritz in Manchester and thinking Martin Stephenson would give Tom Waits a run for his money as an in between songs raconteur.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    edited November 2017
    TTony said:
    Apropos of nothing much, I didn't recognise that album but when you mentioned Martin Stephenson... I only know the name because I saw him and the Daintees acting as support, and then backing band, for Roy Buchanan many years ago.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27524
    For anyone still thinking about creating a  real canvas from their image compilations, my-picture.co.uk are running an 80% off offer atm, which means a 100cm x 75cm canvas for £20. 

Which seems cheaper than a cheap thing.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    TTony said:
    The walls of my new office were looking rather bare, and so I did a couple of canvases of "things" that meant something to me.

One was guitar-related, and another was music (CD) related.

A 5x5 matrix of album covers that have been "significant" to me during my life in one way or another.  Not my "best" or "favourite" albums, not even the ones that I play most often, and certainly not anything that wins trendy or cool points, but probably my "desert island" albums.  It's the music that has most meaning for me.

Each one has a significance, a whole series of memories, for different events in my life that I now see as significant.

Having done that, I thought that perhaps we get too caught up in what's technically good, what's popular, what the critics say we should be listening too, and none of that is really the point of music.

The point should be what it means to us, individually.

Just thought I'd share, but not sure why!
    :)

This is something I think more about as I get older, I wonder sometimes if we ever enjoy music just for its own sake.  What I mean is that if you take something out of its time and place context, does it have the same emotional power?  In a lot of cases the effect is very subtle, in others it will be fundamental, but your reaction to a piece of music is always coloured by where you were, who you were with, what you were doing, what mood you were in what drink/drugs you were taking... etc etc, at the time. 

This of course is the reason why when someone raves about a particular band and you just don't get it.  And the same reason why you feel embarrassed about some of your musical tastes from the past. (Steeleye Span anyone..?)  

There's at least two of your choices that would be on my own canvas, - "On the Level" and "Secret Combination".  Aside from Randy Crawford's voice, has there even been a better bass line, or a guitar solo for that matter, than on "You Might need Somebody"?  

• Right, I’ll have a go:

67-70 ‘Blue’ album - The Beatles
    Rubber Soul - The Beatles
    Naturally - J J Cale
    Five - J J Cale
    Dire Straits - Dire Straits
    Communique - Dire Straits
    461 Ocean Boulevard - Eric Clapton
    No Reason to Cry - Eric Clapton
    Frampton Comes Alive - Peter Frampton
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    Grace and Danger - John Martyn
    One World - John Martyn
    Sunday’s Child - John Martyn
    Moonflower - Santana
    Daring Adventure - Richard Thompson
    Across a Crowded Room - Richard Thompson
    A Walk Across the Rooftops - The Blue Nile
    Hats - The Blue Nile
    Rattlesnakes - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
    The Colour of Spring - Talk Talk
    The Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk
    So - Peter Gabriel
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
    Hejiera - Joni Mitchell
    Gaucho - Steely Dan

For a list of things that ignore the 1990's & 2000's it's pretty good.