Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Versatile dual drive pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    The King of Tone is a lauded dual overdrive with top mount sockets
    I’m on the list actually, but not sure where.  Could be a year before I’m at the top.  Don’t fancy spending £400 on one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • T-Rex Mudhoney 2 is dual channel top loader. Does low gain all the way up to borderline fuzz-out, and cleans up well with playing dynamics. I’d say the eq balance is a bit flatter than tubescreamer type pedals and the breakup has a bit more grit, though you can dial in smooth sustaining leads easily enough, as well as more growly crunch sounds. 

They come up for £80ish reasonably often.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I’m on the list actually, but not sure where.  Could be a year before I’m at the top.  Don’t fancy spending £400 on one.

Check the analogman site, they normally give a pretty solid indication
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    peteri said:

I went on the list in March 17.  They have just got to March 16!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Suhr eclipse looks like a really practical pedalwith way it switches between the drives. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited October 2017
    peteri said:

I went on the list in March 17.  They have just got to March 16!
    I got to top of list a few weeks ago, had my KOT delivered and sold it 1 week later. I preferred the Sunset.

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Based on what you have spec'd, I suggest the  Truetone VS-XO
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Foxrox ZIM is worth a look. No cool points awarded, but you can't get many more versatile twin channel drives. Bombproof build, flexible switching, stackable channels, really cool EQ and the ability to swap cards on each channel to completely change what's going on under the bonnet. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Trex gristle king and moller are worth a look as well. 
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    edited October 2017
    I'd buy either the Sunset or the Keeley D&M drive until you get to the top of the list for a KOT
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    We could always build you something...
    juansolo said:
    We could always build you something...
    Yes, that could be the ticket!   I’ve tried to spec something in my own mind but I’m not always sure what would work best together.   But I shall assemble my thoughts later and drop you a line.
    One obstacle I have when I think about putting something together is where the mids come from, for example I love my Enchanter and also fancy an ODR-1.  Not a massive fan of screamers, but with the Princeton sometimes I feel I could do with a mid push to cut through.

edited October 2017
    menamestom said:

One obstacle I have when I think about putting something together is where the mids come from, for example I love my Enchanter and also fancy an ODR-1.  Not a massive fan of screamers, but with the Princeton sometimes I feel I could do with a mid push to cut through.
    The Truetone/Visual Sound VS-XO has a Nobels ODR1 one one side and a Tubescreamer variant (updated Drivetrain) on the other side, and with clean blends.  you can configure in them either order.  might as well get one of them?
    Them come up on ebay and can be had pretty affordably. 
    they have a transferable lifetime warranty.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Budda Zenman OD/Boost - just bought one and it’s bloody excellent. Everything from clean boost to various OD flavours, plus a fat/Vintage switch. Top loading jacks too.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    I'd probably have the Fulltone Fulldrive2 on my shopping list. Worth checking out at least as it meets most if not all of your needs.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/distortion-overdrive/fulltone-fulldrive2-mosfet-overdrive-pedal?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY09A-r4_gicVa9ro-3KM_KE9GoQiFO4bNBVbAbbvCA7BifHqC4ETd4aAl-UEALw_wcB

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    NelsonP said:
    I'd probably have the Fulltone Fulldrive2 on my shopping list. Worth checking out at least as it meets most if not all of your needs.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/distortion-overdrive/fulltone-fulldrive2-mosfet-overdrive-pedal?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY09A-r4_gicVa9ro-3KM_KE9GoQiFO4bNBVbAbbvCA7BifHqC4ETd4aAl-UEALw_wcB

Fulldrive isn't the most transparent pedal.  It's from the Tube Screamer family.  The flat mids mode doesn't have the TS mid hump, but it always sounded a bit anaemic to me.  Vintage mode was better but isn't transparent.

I've got a Fulltone GT500 for sale in the classifieds.  The Distortion side of that does the singing lead tone part of the OP's wants, but if I'm being honest the overdrive/boost side sounds better as a clean boost to my ears. 

Having owned a Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and the GT500 I've been put off of double pedals.  With both of them I found that I really liked one side of it, but never really used the other.  I think you are better off with 2 single pedals.  If space is an issue, just get something like a Mooer Pure boost (based on RC booster) and something higher gain from their range.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I use a Goosoniqueworx 7thvn. But if you find another one for sale. It's probably the one I had stolen a year ago.  But it's incredibly dynamic and amp like. Runs best at 12v DC.
  • The King of Tone is a lauded dual overdrive with top mount sockets
    There's a mint one in the classifieds for less than that!  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    NelsonP said:
    not a dual pedal.

• crunchman said:
    Having owned a Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and the GT500 I've been put off of double pedals.  With both of them I found that I really liked one side of it, but never really used the other.  I think you are better off with 2 single pedals.  If space is an issue, just get something like a Mooer Pure boost (based on RC booster) and something higher gain from their range.
    That's a fair point. Plenty of people here spend years, and a small fortune (or even a large one) on finding *one* overdrive that really tweaks their weasel, so the chance of finding a dual drive pedal that you like both channels of is pretty remote if you're picky.

The Foxrox ZIM is somewhat unique in that respect in that the interchangeable cards make it considerably more flexible than many (although you might argue that the choices available are too broad to really dial in on a particular tone you want), so I suspect the best way to get the advantages of a dual pedal (small footprint, fewer cables, fewer PSU slots) without the disadvantages of limiting yourself to what's on the market is to approach the likes of Juansolo to have a custom pedal made with your choice of circuits.

FWIW, I doubt two "standard" sized 1590b/125-ish sized pedals take up a great deal more room than two 1590a mini pedals once you take in to account spacing them appropriately for adult male feet and the space needed for audio and power cables around them. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.