Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lacquer cracking on post-2004 Les Pauls

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
edited October 2017 in Guitar
I read somewhere on the internet (so it could be all lies) that Gibson started adding plasticisers to their nitrocellulose formula around 2004. Has anyone tried to purposely crack the lacquer on their post-2004 Les Paul using temperature changes? And if so, was it successful?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    My 2005 P90 Goldtop seems to be crazing with no input from me.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    edited October 2017
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers for the replies. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2007 custom shop R7 and I'm hoping over time it will age like the old LPs, however with plasticisers in the mix isn't this quite unlikely?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Not to piss on your chips here but my '07 VOS R7 gets gigged every weekend and has done for years, no sign of any cracking yet...I really wish it did
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    The 73 I have here at the moment has lots of wear but absolutely no crazing.  

Gibsons lacquer formulation has changed many times, even batch to batch it can be quite different.  For ages they were trying to get it to stop happening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My 2015 already has a fair bit of ageing.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    The run of Custom Classics that were done about 5 years ago checked easily. I know fender add an awful lot to their nitro.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    edited October 2017

2006 LP
    https://i.pinimg.com/564x/85/b9/4f/85b94f2082bab722f1fe431bb6b077c8.jpg

went straight back... but the replacement is checking now too
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    That's just the little paper mask from the tailpiece anchor. 

It's a paper disc that is placed over the anchor to stop paint getting on the threads when the guitar is being finished. Next time you restring, you can run a sharp pointed blade around it to break the lacquer and lift it off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Morning 

From experience and a fair bit of research on this, Ive found that modern gold tops seem to lacquer check naturally (I've had a 2014 do this). I haven't been able to find the same evidence for bursts, I've had 4 post 2012 R8s and CCs and none of them checked naturally.

Ive also seen a new 2017 ES345 in sea foam green check naturally and quite heavily.

@jumping@shadows is much more knowledgeable on the subject though
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    skippy76 said:
    Morning 

From experience and a fair bit of research on this, Ive found that modern gold tops seem to lacquer check naturally (I've had a 2014 do this). I haven't been able to find the same evidence for bursts, I've had 4 post 2012 R8s and CCs and none of them checked naturally.

Ive also seen a new 2017 ES345 in sea foam green check naturally and quite heavily.

@jumping@shadows is much more knowledgeable on the subject though
    The biggest differences there could be as much down to thickness as nitro formulation.... or likely the colour coats are a different type anyway, possibly more flexible

semis behave a bit differently to solids anyway.  Thinner wood will move more with environmental changes and check quicker.  They are also unfinished inside so there is little protection from this. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    My 09 r7 hasnt checked at all and has been in pretty extreme hot and cold. Gutted, because it lools amazing on gold tops.
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited October 2017
    sweepy said:
    Sorry, but I am totally unable to view chunks of one's paintwork falling off as being a plus point, especially on  a guitar costing as much as one carrying an official Gibson logo does!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Tbh, I paid £850 and it’s an absolute beast of a guitar with the OX4’s. I have never been precious about Guitars as they are a tool and not a case queen . The finish on these seems not to be “keyed” properly hence the peeling and sinking around the binding

https://i.imgur.com/N79PFum.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have an '04 standard that has been through different temperature changes and has never checked/cracked. It's in very good nick apart from a bit of fret wear.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    sweepy said:
    Tbh, I paid £850 and it’s an absolute beast of a guitar with the OX4’s. I have never been precious about Guitars as they are a tool and not a case queen . The finish on these seems not to be “keyed” properly hence the peeling and sinking around the binding

https://i.imgur.com/N79PFum.jpg
    Do you want a set of aged gold speed knobs to go with that?

Gratis. I just want to see what they look like...
    I swapped them for old Gold Top knobs, much more in keeping
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Just did a Google search on this and found this old thread. My 2017 LP Classic has started to go. But I'm wondering if it's because I now live in a Victorian house and the temperature varies a lot compared to my new build flat which was the same temperature all year round. 
  • I thought that one of the plus points to nitro is that is doesn't come off in big chunks like poly. These Gold Tops on here seem to suggest otherwise.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    jeztone2 said:
    Just did a Google search on this and found this old thread. My 2017 LP Classic has started to go. But I'm wondering if it's because I now live in a Victorian house and the temperature varies a lot compared to my new build flat which was the same temperature all year round. 
    Interesting, I've got a '17 Classic as well and I am curious as to whether or not it will age. It's been fairly well sheltered from temperature changes on the whole, but does have three faint lacquer cracks up on the shoulder near (but not around/emanating from) the strap button. 
    Tim