Still magical...

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    edited October 2017
    A damn fine song. I remember that first single coming out (studio version) and it really seemed like something a bit different - the guitar sound, the guitar playing. I listened to Alchemy again recently for the first time in decades. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    For me its Terry Williams pushing it along that makes the Alchemy version
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said:
    Spot on. That  fill he does at 2:30 has Knopfler turning around with a huge grin on his face.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12376
    I was loving listening to tunnel of love on in the car this morning, in my top 4 dire straits songs with sultans, brothers in arms and mans too strong.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    Yeah Terry Williams, best Welsh drummer ever! Apart from my mate Simon Adams...

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    welshboyo said:
    Spot on. That  fill he does at 2:30 has Knopfler turning around with a huge grin on his face.
    Agreed. The drumming is excellent.

Maybe its because its associated with my teenage years but the song and the playing still get to me after all these decades.

Although the fashion faux pas of both Knopflers are quite eye watering.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    MK is an all-time hero of mine - and continues to work at a rate which is unusual for someone approaching 70.

I had the pleasure of meeting him on both the Love Over Gold and Brothers in Arms tours. He was an absolute gent and knew everything about his gear - and was more than happy to talk about it.

A massive talent....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    jellyroll said:

Although the fashion faux pas of both Knopflers are quite eye watering.Actually David had left 
    Actually David had left by then, that would be Hal Lindes on 2nd guitar I believe. Victims of 80s style.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5758
    Interesting takes on this. The drumming is a force of nature for sure but an essential part of the DS magic for me was the exquisite delicacy and lightness of
    touch that Pick Withers brings to his drumming. 

I could never quite love the band in the same way after he left. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    edited October 2017
    dazzajl said:
    Interesting takes on this. The drumming is a force of nature for sure but an essential part of the DS magic for me was the exquisite delicacy and lightness of touch that Pick Withers brings to his drumming. 
    I agree - there was real subtlety in his playing. I could never imagine Terry Williams playing something like Water of Love.

I think Knopfler had some doubts about him too - Omar Hakim played on a Brothers in Arms.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    dazzajl said:
    Interesting takes on this. The drumming is a force of nature for sure but an essential part of the DS magic for me was the exquisite delicacy and lightness of touch that Pick Withers brings to his drumming. 
    I agree - there was real subtlety in his playing. I could never imagine Terry Williams playing something like Water of Love.

I think Knopfler had some doubts about him too - Omar Hakim played on a Brothers in Arms.
    I disagree a little!!!

TW’s drumming really pushes the band and pulls them into an exciting band with lots of dynamics. There could be an element of nostalgia to these thoughts as the album was the soundtrack to my youth.

I’ve jammed with Terry a few times, a lovely player, obviously a lot older and not as on the money as he was on Alchemy but the touch, feel and talent still there in spades.

And it’s not a bad thing to have Jeff Porcaro and Omar Hakim as your replacements!!!!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited October 2017
    Saw DS three times live, always epic

Still have lower back problems now after having a young @simonbeckwith ;;; on my shoulders for the gig at Ipswich football ground!

Gutted when they called it a day

So many great, memorable recordings Telegraph Road, Romeo and Juliet, Brothers in Arms, etc etc, I dont think they recorded a bad track.....

One of the best live tracks for me Is Walk of Life with Paul Franlkins excellent Pedal Steel solo

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5758
    welshboyo said:
    I disagree a little!!!

TW’s drumming really pushes the band and pulls them into an exciting band with lots of dynamics. There could be an element of nostalgia to these thoughts as the album was the soundtrack to my youth.

I’ve jammed with Terry a few times, a lovely player, obviously a lot older and not as on the money as he was on Alchemy but the touch, feel and talent still there in spades.

And it’s not a bad thing to have Jeff Porcaro and Omar Hakim as your replacements!!!!
    Absolutely no criticism intended, just to be clear. 

That drumming from Terry Williams is spectacular. Just  that I personally miss some of my favourite parts of favourite songs. 

Definitley fair to say that without those huge changes in the band’s sound and image, I can’t see how they’d have gone on to be the global giants they were. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27578
    Moved to the Chat > Music section.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited October 2017
    dazzajl said:
    Interesting takes on this. The drumming is a force of nature for sure but an essential part of the DS magic for me was the exquisite delicacy and lightness of
    touch that Pick Withers brings to his drumming. 

I could never quite love the band in the same way after he left. 
    Agreed 100% that first album was magical.

Wonderful drummer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Pure class. Great to see & hear that again.