Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RG550 back for 2018!

What's Hot

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Schnozz said:
    It's a great idea to bring back a classic guitar and correct the one feature that couldn't stand the test of time.

It's a dopey idea to bring it back at twice it's value - No more than £900 surely.
    Did it ever really go away? I mean...What is an RG550 over many other RG's that are Jap made? I don't really get it....its just a number they're really reissuing...cos the guitar never really went away did it? I mean...not really!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    A bit like Fender and Stratocasters then 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited November 2017
    DefaultM said:
    $1456, so probably over a grand here?

I wonder what this will do to the used prices of originals. I used to pick them up for about £350. Certainly wouldn't pay the prices that are being asked these days.
    But they were always undervalued. At one point people were breaking guitars because of the trade in spares. 

I cut cut my teeth on a lipstick red RG560. One of the best guitars I’ve ever owned. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    I had a red rg560. Wish I still did as it was lovely!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• siraxeman said:
    Schnozz said:
    It's a great idea to bring back a classic guitar and correct the one feature that couldn't stand the test of time.

It's a dopey idea to bring it back at twice it's value - No more than £900 surely.
    Did it ever really go away? I mean...What is an RG550 over many other RG's that are Jap made? I don't really get it....its just a number they're really reissuing...cos the guitar never really went away did it? I mean...not really!

There is a system to the model number, the hundreds and thousands indicate the level of quality and the tens indicate pickup positions. 

AFAIK its 10 for Single Humbucker, 20 for HH, 30 for SSS/HH with Pickguard depending on the model, 40 is HSS with pickguard, 50 is HSH with pickguard, 60 is HSS, and 70 is HSH. I'm not sure about 80 but those are usually HSH.

The last digit provides more information, it's 1 for Fixed Bridge, 2 is 12 string and 7, 8 and 9 are 7, 8 and 9 strings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • currently going for £699 at GuitarGuitar
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    stonevibe said:
    I had a red rg560. Wish I still did as it was lovely!
    Me too! Lipstick Red. I had it stripped and sprayed natural teal. Then sold it. Always regretted it. 
  • what are they like. seem a very good price for a MIJ guitar
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    what are they like. seem a very good price for a MIJ guitar

I got mine last night - build is very clean, couldn't spot any flaws at all. Fret ends are probably a little sharp compared to a higher end guitar but no biggy. Still early days but it's a lot of fun and a lot of guitar for £700.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    I bought a second hand one from the 90's for £150 recently, not my usual tipple but a fun guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    JD50 said:
    I bought a second hand one from the 90's for £150 recently, not my usual tipple but a fun guitar.
    I hate you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    If they're as the 20th anniversary ones from 2007 (and I'm sure they are), then it's a ton of good guitar for the money. Whether they lack in comparison to an original is hard to say. I've got an 80s sabre that simply amazing, but part of that is because it's been to hell and back, and plays all the better for it. And it has neck cracks behind the locking nut, which these reissues won't get. That's nice.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    currently going for £699 at GuitarGuitar
    Ooh that's awesome. I ordered mine just after they announced the refunded difference for Black Friday price matching, so I'll have £85 or so to spend. Time to pick up some strings & things!

Still loving it, playing it every day. Have since installed a neon green seatbelt strap & neon yellow knobs to the guitar, and my pickup stickers also came from these guys in Japan within 5 days: https://www.inlaystickers.com/collections/6-pickups-decal

(Yet to install the pick-up stickers though as I'm kinda looking to get some use out of these stringers before needing to cut em all off).

But yeah, killer guitar for the money.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    carlos said:
    JD50 said:
    I hate you!
    It's an RG550 LTD so not sure how that stacks up against the other versions. Has some kind of SD pup in the bridge.
  • Man, I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. :)

I used to have a red RG450 - one of the earlier Japanese ones. tbh it wasn't the best guitar in the world...the floyd was pretty poor and wouldn't stay in tune and there was some fret buzz I could never quite get rid of...but I still feel sentimental about it. I have a JS1000 now which is in every way a better guitar...but I still really fancy having an RG again.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    JD50 said:
    carlos said:
    JD50 said:
    I hate you!
    It's an RG550 LTD so not sure how that stacks up against the other versions. Has some kind of SD pup in the bridge.
    The SD isn't stock. As for the rest, see here: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG550LTD

• Ah dammit, I had an RG450 and a black 550 which I bought from Jaden Rose. They both played really well, especially the 550. Haven't got either of them now and this thread is making me miss them!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SidNewton said:
    I bought a black one around 89/90. Swear to god it had a rosewood board or is my memory failing me?
    Stupidly thin neck. Not sure I would want to play one now but great guitar at the time.
    My black 550 had a rosewood board
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• GAK also have these in stock including the purple one