Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I get the impression FX are far too important for many one here...

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited November 2017 in FX

than they really should be. If your core/base amp/dirt pedal tone is there FX are just the icing on the cake. So sometimes I marvel at how much folks fuss on here about this n that re FX.....and you can't do this because that can't do that etc etc. For me, a decent amp (in my case AC30HW2x) and a couple of nice dirt pedals (nothing fancy....Dano/digitech/Boss) and I can get by just fine...sure I likes a bit of reverb and delay here n  there...but I don't need a Strymon/Eventide/boutique whatever to do it...same with rverb...a mere humble Boss RV or TC HOF will do the trick just nice,  Chorus I use only on 1 or 2 songs in our set, Wah...1 song. Phaser/Flanger/Trem = zero as of now. FX are nice but well overrated/overvalued. I said so..so are is.

Its the same with amps really....1 channel and pedals or a 2 channel is all anyone really needs surely. There are only 2 toanz  - clean and dirty.

/the end.

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice day for a troll through tFB?

It's nice that you are happy with playing guitar the dull way that has been done to death and recycled again and again. Others like to be different. 

Personally I'm always happy to hear people push the boundaries and if a player can make awesome use of fx, I'd much rather listen to that than blues lick no 200 for nth time. 

I'm crap at fx. I really struggle but for me it's where all the enjoyment is. There are some players on this board who have created wonderful music that is fx heavy.

If you don' enjoy fx, fine. But don't spout this Bonamassa drivel about people being less of a player if they do enjoy fx.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • You play bog standard covers don't you.....others paint multicolored pictures with their FX, a shimmer of delicate melodies hanging like gossamer in the cool wind...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28285
    If you're not making music with nothing more than the human voice then YOU ARE NOT WORTHY, right?

Ridiculous notion is ridiculous.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If I didn't have fx, more people would realise how truly shit I am. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8709
    siraxeman said:

... There are only 2 toanz  - clean and dirty ...

In President Trump’s universe there is a thing called “clean coal”.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Then lets hear 'em - where's the links? I wanna hear teh best toanz in teh worldz.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    siraxeman said:
    Then lets hear 'em - where's the links? I wanna hear teh best toanz in teh worldz.
    Listen to 'Jupiter' by Cave In...or pretty much anything with Stephen Brodsky.

A smorgasbord of effects and they wouldn't sound the same without any of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    will have to look 'em up - never heard of 'em.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Each to their own.
  • Bonamassa recently made a similar mistake.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Depends what you're doing. I'm just starting to record ideas for soundtracks. Essentially using only the guitar I need all the variation I can get and pedals really help with that. 
  • First go check out @GavRichList band. A player on this board who is awesome with fx and most certainly can play. The interweaving between guitar and synth is a joy.

https://m.soundcloud.com/strataville/rich-list-esha-ness-single-version

Drew's band has some really cool stuff going on too.

My soundcloud has lots of pedal based sketches that are fx driven. There's a whole thread on meris here with clips.

https://m.soundcloud.com/patrick-redford/sets/pedal-board-clips

https://m.soundcloud.com/patrick-redford/sets/meris

But please, let's make this a two way share and let' hear your stuff too please! I'm all for hearing great guitar tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxeman said:
    It' not abut tonez.. that' just being lazy and missing the point of fx. Tone is at best hugely personal. A very, very narrow view into the fx world that one.

Fx is so much more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • By that token of "purity", why are you playing with dirt pedals and an amp? If you are that keen on there being a series of narrow parameters within which "real" guitarists should be playing, why not go the whole hog and stick to acoustic guitar?

If you want to stick to simple clean-dirty playing, fine. Fantastic. I sometimes like to play with just that.

But to say that this is truth, the way and the light that all guitarists should follow, and any other FX pedal beyond a single Tubescreamer is a waste of time and a cover for 'real talent'? Balls. So many balls in a shitty sack.

Each to their own sounds and what they want to do with them. FX-laden sounds, simple clean/dirty playing, pure acoustic... all of these styles and everything in between have their place. Without such variety, music doesn't evolve.

Good on you for opening up a debate though, I defend to the death your right to say this, Voltaire and all that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    First go check out @GavRichList band. A player on this board who is awesome with fx and most certainly can play. The interweaving between guitar and synth is a joy.

https://m.soundcloud.com/strataville/rich-list-esha-ness-single-version

Drew's band has some really cool stuff going on too.

My soundcloud has lots of pedal based sketches that are fx driven. There's a whole thread on meris here with clips.

https://m.soundcloud.com/patrick-redford/sets/pedal-board-clips

https://m.soundcloud.com/patrick-redford/sets/meris

But please, let's make this a two way share and let' hear your stuff too please! I'm all for hearing great guitar tone.

I really don't have a lot recorded, but here's a couple that are "ok'ish"..

a live performance recorded on a very hi tech (phone)

• Nice day for a troll through tFB?

It's nice that you are happy with playing guitar the dull way that has been done to death and recycled again and again. Others like to be different. 

Personally I'm always happy to hear people push the boundaries and if a player can make awesome use of fx, I'd much rather listen to that than blues lick no 200 for nth time. 

I'm crap at fx. I really struggle but for me it's where all the enjoyment is. There are some players on this board who have created wonderful music that is fx heavy.

If you don' enjoy fx, fine. But don't spout this Bonamassa drivel about people being less of a player if they do enjoy fx.

Both @GavRichList and your good self fall into this category.
  • dont know what all the above is about - I hate FX. I dont even like plugging my amp in; The electricity colours the tone too much. 
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    edited November 2017
    Fx are overrated says the man who by his own admission uses dirt pedals, reverb, delay, wah, chorus...
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited November 2017
    Beexter said:
    Each to their own.
    Yes, precisely.

My own preference is like Sir Axeman's - I have wah, compressor and OD before the amp, and in the loop I have delay, chorus and volume boost. 

But if others want to be more creative with effects then that's brilliant too. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    If I use a lot of pedals some of them tend to slip off the edge of this flat Earth we live on.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom