Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I get the impression FX are far too important for many one here...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28288
    siraxeman said:

Prove me wrong kids?
    How about you prove yourself right?

We're not here to service your every demand.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ^^ say cop out!! :lol: 
  • Dopesick said:
    siraxeman said:
    Then lets hear 'em - where's the links? I wanna hear teh best toanz in teh worldz.
    Listen to 'Jupiter' by Cave In...or pretty much anything with Stephen Brodsky.

A smorgasbord of effects and they wouldn't sound the same without any of them.
    Stunning album. Like a modern heavy Pink Floyd with a hardcore background.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    What I would say is that the obsessiveness of pedals and pedal boards has changed in general over the past 10 years imo.

I can't imagine many of us would be building boards to the level of neatness and pro level pedals on them several years ago.

When I first played in bands 10 years ago I just had 3 Boss Pedals and a line 6 delay on the floor with random patch cables and I was considered a pedal geek by my band.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    I was told last night that i bring an ethereal element to the jam nights, they sure as shit wouldn't be saying that if i didn't have volume swells with massive reverbs i can tell you that!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Funnily enough, I would say pedals really come into their own in a gigging situation. At home or in a studio you can fine tune your amp's tone to your heart's content, but in a gig - right next number, stomp box on! I s'pose this depends if you change your sound for different songs, of course. Which I do. It depends what kind of player you are. I know some metal guitarists that have their set up and stick to it. And know some jazz players who have their set up and stick to it. I also know (and I guess I'm one) players who do more 'alternative' stuff who like to create a different mood for,each song.
    And many fx for home use are there to be neighbour friendly - high volume fx for domestic sound levels.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    effects neanderthal 
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• siraxeman said:

Prove me wrong kids? 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/120/show-us-your-pedalboard/p1

3.9K posts

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/43521/line-6-helix/p1

5.6K posts

It's perfectly OK that some people feel that guitar sounds reached a peak sometime in the early 80's, but for others the "evolution" has been continuing ever since. There's nothing wrong with not understanding that, just as the jazz guys didn't understand Hendrix, a fear of the unknown. Soundscape work is hard to do to get right, especially live, and much more of a risk than "boost on and go".

Both are equally valid though, sometimes even in the same song as the likes of Tom Morello have proved so your original point is kind of lost on me.

I like the earlier "trainset" analogy someone made, for some it's just an enjoyable hobby, and to decry that as your thread title implies doesn't do your viewpoint any favours. It could just as easily be posited that "I get the impression FX are far too hard to understand for many on here", which would also be an incorrect statement but might cover "some" folks here.

Personally I like to use them all, or none at all, or somewhere in between, or both at once. If it works, it works. No sense in ignoring what's available, or experimenting.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm trying to decide if the OP actually believing this guff would be more or less sad than posting it purely to troll.

Answers on a postcard please. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    siraxeman said:
    No ya silly sausage... I are enlightened and a flat earth'er. One who knows ALL space travel is BOGUS but that while guitar fx are good, in the grand scheme of things not usually 'that' important. 

....and it wasn' me who said pedals are a substitute for t...

I don't see how you can be enlightened AND a flat-earther. You can't have it both ways.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Erm... well....

I can see what the right honourable chap is saying but like everything in life it isn't quite so simple.

Clean sounds - define. Hank Marvin? Les Paul? Johnny Marr? I don't think anyone (other than jazz guys - and they are frankly a bit odd so we'll leave them comparing rollneck jumpers) use a proper clean sound - Hank's sound was always on the verge of breakup and when he digs in it does (Man of Mystery anyone? Or Wonderful Life) and then theres a echo... nope so not him.

Les Paul - the bastion of no distortion but normally with some form of slapback echo or reverb. So nope.

Johnny Marr - anyone who says Johnny uses a clean sound has never heard him. There's what he says "attitude" to his sound - otherwise known as clipping.

So what is a clean sound? I dunno.

And then there's this business of having a great base sound and adding stuff on top as some kind of glitter... erm, talk to Kevin Shields about that although you may need to shout (its usually a bit loud around him). I agree to a point, though. However, having been in a situation where I've had to use "amp de jour" thats not always possible or appropriate. Knowing how to use *any* amp to create a good platform for the pedals that create your sound is just as noble as taming a cranked Marshall or Vox - and I'd venture, actually takes a lot more skill. I'd also suggest that the puritanical view that somehow you are a better guitarist because you only use a guitar and an amp "and control it all from the guitar" holds water to a point. I think its important to understand how the controls of your guitar interact with an amp - and certain styles of amp and indeed certain musical styles work better than others for this. However, if you are playing "Freak Out" one minute and "Summer of 69" the next you may struggle, and maintain an appropriate sound. Thats where pedals come in - and knowing how to use them.

Each to their own... :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Don't feed the troll people. 
    Also, flat earth? Really? Get a grip. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667

Also, flat earth? Really? Get a grip. 
    Yes... you might fall off the edge! ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom