Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Washing machine woes.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I got lucky with mine, I recieved a recall notice from Hot point the day after my Washing Machine started to play up.

Replaced within 2 weeks before it was too much of a problem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    ICBM said:
    grungebob said:
    My Bosch dishwasher has stopped draining, took an age to free it from my kitchen, stripped the filters, cleared the check valves and got the pump working but still won’t drain. 
    Bosch are coming tomorrow to fix it, it’s 12 years old. Bosch want £95 for the call out and all labour then have to pay for any parts on top. Priced up the parts I think and it’s still cheaper than a new one. 
    That's interesting. I might try them for my washing machine...
    I’ll let you know how I get on. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I just replaced a 20 year old Bosch that wasn't worth repairing anymore. In that time it had only required new carbon brushes a few times and a new pump - all done by me - total repair cost in its lifetime of under £40. The pattern pump gave up within two years though hence the decision to replace. Got a new Samsung one - it's brilliant. Brushless motor guaranteed for ten years and it is so quiet, uses less power and plays a tune when its finished!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Out Miele is 11 years old and still going strong. They cost more but they're definitely worth it.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Deadman said:
    Out Miele is 11 years old and still going strong. They cost more but they're definitely worth it.

Looked at Miele, they used to be £700 / £800 with a ten year warranty. They seem to do a cheaper range now though, seen them for just under £500 but they only have a 2 year warranty. It says they're tested for the equivalent of 20 years use though. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    ronnyb said:
    Deadman said:

Looked at Miele, they used to be £700 / £800 with a ten year warranty. They seem to do a cheaper range now though, seen them for just under £500 but they only have a 2 year warranty. It says they're tested for the equivalent of 20 years use though. 
    Yeah we got a 10 year warranty and ours was a basic £500 type. Never used it though. No bells or whistles on ours which I think is better for longevity. The 20 year thing is true too. The drum is German automotive grade. Just the best made really. This explains it quite well:
    https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/miele-washing-machines/

If/when ours breaks I'll be going straight for another £500 basic one. Not bothered about the warranty.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think that's a baby Belling cooker in the photograph. Really handy things, used one many a time when having moved house and renovating the kitchen had no full sized cooker. Not sure if they still make them, they worked off an ordinary household plug.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

I have found this useful in the past. Common washing machine problems & video how to fix guides.

https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/common-washing-machine-problems/

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    grungebob said:
    My Bosch dishwasher has stopped draining, took an age to free it from my kitchen, stripped the filters, cleared the check valves and got the pump working but still won’t drain. 
    Bosch are coming tomorrow to fix it, it’s 12 years old. Bosch want £95 for the call out and all labour then have to pay for any parts on top. Priced up the parts I think and it’s still cheaper than a new one. 
    A month or so back i made one good bosch diswasher from two (busted control board in one and knackered sump temp sender and pump in the other). Just yesterday i finally took the remaining plastic bits to the recycling centre. The wire, circuit boards and steel are all there to recycle when i get a trailer full so a trip to the metal centre is worth while.

We went the miele route this year when we replaced the washing machine. 10 Year warranty (limited of course) but it seeems well put together so with some calgon now and again it should do us well. I'm reaching the age where my body doesn't want me laying on the floor stretchin into kitchen voids. I do like the idea of fix whatever I can though.
    So £120 and it’s all fixed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    Top result. I sometimes take my broken appliences to a man so he can fix them at his workshop. Saves on a call out and I get well taken care of.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    grungebob said:
     That's good. At that it's worth paying them to do it rather than trying myself, I think.

Remembering that it's double negative man points if I can't fix it within one day :). And I've never taken this one apart yet, let alone worked out what actually needs replacing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    edited November 2017
    I'm a fix-it-if-you-can type too. Just overhauled the ball cock on our central heating feed tank when I noticed the overflow was dripping this morning. Cost me precisely nothing, I already had a spare split pin and I punched a washer out of some thick rubber sheet I had. (Lucky I kept that old gimp suit after all eh?) Always good to keep some Diy God points on the board with the missus. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449

I'm reminded of someone I knew whose washing machine stopped working.  Got a repairman out, and he found it clogged up with plectrums.

After hearing this, I always check the pockets on my jeans!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

The drainage pipe on our machine got blocked by a 5p, 10 min job. The repair man wanted £90 just to take a look, good job I'm tight!

edited November 2017
    I’m a little bit miffed though. This was a semi intergrated dishwasher. It took 2hrs to gentlely  remove the plinth and cornice to get access to its feet, it then took me another two hours lowering the back feet as the floor was tiled up to its front with no clearance to pull it out from under the counter and I had to weave my arm through the units feet next to it scraping all the skin off. 
    Turns out I needn’t have done all this as I had basically fixed it myself. The water wouldn’t drain so I removed the filters, all clean as a whistle, the pump wouldn’t run off the float switch, this was due to a blockage in the impeller, I cleared that and reseated the check valve but although the pump would run the water went nowhere. All that I achieved with the washer in situ, I removed it from is under counter position to check the drain hose (which I’d already tossed from outside and knew to be clear)
    The embarrasing bit is, when I test ran the pump afterwards I never refitted the impeller cover as it was just a plastic shield, nope you need that in there for the design to work doh!

the repairman basically replaced the check valve for a new one for free, replaced the impeller cover for free but charged us for new filters and screens plus his time, so £120 design feel muc like a win win but he did confirm he was allowed to spend 8hours over multiple visits for that £95 call out fee so if still use them again in the future if I had too , although next time I might fully rebuild it to test it first.  
    Typical isn't it. I was telling a mate of mine today about the washer and he tells me he just been given a new one and so I can have his old one, only about 2 years old. Had a look at it and it's only a 5kg, not big enough to wash a handkerchief in. I didn't know they made them that small, thought the smallest was 6kg. Spanners out tomorrow.