Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Modern Gibson Quality - Advice Needed

What's Hot
So I've been looking for a cherry burst Les Paul Classic and been offered a 2016 model but I've been told by another guitarist friend that Gibson quality since 2010 is pretty poor? Much truth to this? I've never bought a new Gibson nor anything past late 90s so have no experience of their modern quality. Obviously the simple solution would be to have a play on it and check it over but it's 3 hour drive and I'm struggling to find the time at the moment to get down there. Any advice guys?
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited November 2017
    I have a 2013 traditional and I'd say the build quality is great. There will always be good uns and bad. I recall an andertons video saying the 2016 models were fab?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Gibson quality since about 1902 has been quite ropey, to be honest…

I'm not convinced it's much, or any, different now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Personally I think your friend is taking rubbish. I would say go and try the guitar with an open mind, if you can.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    Musical instruments built from wood are prone to variation. Do not be swayed by the opinions of others. The only true test is to try the guitar(s) yourself. If you cannot find the time to do that, perhaps, you do not want the guitar enough. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• I have a 21015 Midtown which is great.  For the price I'd say it was better than most things I tried, including guitars costing more from the far east.    I think most of Gibson's issues are sortable QC things that if you are buying 2nd hand have been rectified by the original owner / shop.  Probably just worth checking the weight.

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited November 2017
    I had a 2013 and it was good, my 2017 is better, much better. With all Les Paul's there are things that let them down, but a different year of manufacture won't change that.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • all Gibsons from all years can be good or bad. 
    You can't apply a blanket statement to guitars. 

Go and try it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    Most of the Gibsons I've played in the last five years have been noticeably better finished than the previous few.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I usually go for older Gibson’s, but recently picked up a 17 Traditional. It is fantastic - and great quality. Would quite happily buy another.
  • Cool, thanks for your input guys. I'll go and check it out, didn't want to drive 3-4 hours if the consensus was that they're not great
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Best advice - don’t ask that question of a Guitar forum.

Go and play one for yourself - if you like it, it doesn’t matter a damn what anyone you’ve never met thinks.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    In my opinion, the last ‘good’ LP Standard was the 2008 model. The rest since have been questionable.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    As much stick as the 2015 Gibson range got, it seemed to be the year Gibson understood that QC had to be good on all guitars from all ranges, they seemed to pull their fingers out in that department around that time.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    The more fussy you are the more you'll have an issue with Gibson's quality control - I would not see pre or post 2010 is any better, so disregard your friends comment - In many ways you have to take each Gibson on its own merits - many are fine but bad examples do exists - some issues can be easily resolved like  a bad cut nut and/or if it needs a fret dress - fret dress will only really be required if it has a very low action and choking out in certain places otherwise you shouldn't really have an issue with this

There is a difference between quality control and which model you prefer the feel, look and tonal character of - but again which you prefer to play is a matter of opinion and only you can truly answer that
    The only model year I would definitely avoid on principle is 2015, and that's not for build quality reasons - it's because the resale value if you don't like the unconventional neck dimensions is poor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The only model year I would definitely avoid on principle is 2015, and that's not for build quality reasons - it's because the resale value if you don't like the unconventional neck dimensions is poor.
    The Memphis and custom shop stuff wasn't afflicted with the same necks though was it?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • My 2017 traditional is fantastic, although it needed a tiny bit of nut work to make it truly the instrument it was supposed to be. Happily @SteveRobinson ; sorted that out for me in about half an hour and I'm made up with it. 

Again though, only you can decide and each and every instrument will be different. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    meltedbuzzbox said:

The Memphis and custom shop stuff wasn't afflicted with the same necks though was it?
    No, not as far as I know. The Les Paul Classic was though.

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited November 2017
    I have a Junior from THE most hated year - 2015 ...and it's great.

I also played a 2016 ES Les Paul (the semi-hollow one, with no f holes) when they were first released and it's one of the finest guitars I have ever played.

Conversely, I once had the opportunity to buy what, at the time, I thought was my absolute dream guitar; a 1969 LP Deluxe Goldtop ...and it was an absolute pig.

It's a crapshoot - you've just got to try them. I know that's not very helpful for you in your position. Sorry.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    ICBM said:

I have a 2015 ES Les Paul from the Memphis "Custom Shop".  That's a conventional neck.

The MHS pickups are really good.  If I was getting an ES guitar I'd probably look at the more recent ones as the MHS are better than the 57 Classics that I think the older ones had (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on what pickups the older ones had).