Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Think this is turning into an obsession...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    What's the collective noun for such a number of Les Pauls? Gaggle? Flock? Congregation? Herd?
    Madness - according to some on here :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

So the Ellwood shopping list should currently be:

an r6,
    a junior (both single and double cut versions),
    maybe a special to keep the juniors company,
    one of those 54 reissues that had the alnico neck pickup and a bigsby,
    an ox blood Beck standard
    and one of those custom shop Old Black copies that Coda had done.

Agreed?
    R6 and Oxblood definitely. And one of the 54 reissues without the pig iron....

Oh, and two custom Ryder builds that @flyfisher12 assures me will dust the R8s....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m not going to comment on the lack of pickguards ;)

Absolutely love the black one with P90s!
  • What's the collective noun for such a number of Les Pauls? Gaggle? Flock? Congregation? Herd?
    A Chapter 11?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ellwood would you trade them all in the pursuit of a high dollar vintage piece, something like an ABR equipped P90 GT, a 54 black beauty or as a down payment on something with PAFs?

i think there are some other single cut itches that you should scratch: replica/luthier built, plus modern high end Japanese (like around the 2k mark new) which in my experience is superior to any of Gibson's CS stuff.

I'm a sucker for LPs, largely for the aesthetics. Currently have 4 with a 5th on the way. Sometimes though I just wish I could settle on one LP. I've cycled through a bunch of Teles over the last few years and now have the one that is perfect for me. I'll never buy another Tele and I'll never sell the one I have. Wish I could get to the same place with LPs.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    You're all buying dozens of Les Pauls because you're looking for the best one, well tough shit, I'm not selling it.
    ;)
    edited November 2017
    @ellwood would you trade them all in the pursuit of a high dollar vintage piece, something like an ABR equipped P90 GT, a 54 black beauty or as a down payment on something with PAFs?

i think there are some other single cut itches that you should scratch: replica/luthier built, plus modern high end Japanese (like around the 2k mark new) which in my experience is superior to any of Gibson's CS stuff.

I'm a sucker for LPs, largely for the aesthetics. Currently have 4 with a 5th on the way. Sometimes though I just wish I could settle on one LP. I've cycled through a bunch of Teles over the last few years and now have the one that is perfect for me. I'll never buy another Tele and I'll never sell the one I have. Wish I could get to the same place with LPs.
    @Limehouse_Blues I don’t think I would trade them for one. As much as it is hard for some to believe, I like them all. For different reasons. And I would like to continue to build a collection. The vintage pieces are so out of reach for me, but finding nice ones that I just like. I’m really excited about the two custom builds. And like you, I like the older Japanese stuff too. Currently looking at an Orville, and a nice Trad Plus. A P90 GT has to be on the list. I would like a black custom too. Plenty to keep an eye on. Next year I plan on being nvestigating more UK luthiers to look at replicas too (although only if they put their own logo on the headstock...)

And if you are ever in the Midlands then bring yours up and we can have a mass LP session!
  • For me, the thing that's hardest with LPs is finding one at a nice weight. I know 8.8lbs is the average for the bursts featured in beauty of the burst but I think the nicest maple capped LPs are lighter than that.

I've played a 55GT that was 8lbs dead and a 54 that was 8.2lbs. I daresay they're out there but I've never found a reissue in that weight range. (My R0 is a hair under 9lbs which seems to be pretty standard).

The only modern non-weight relieved single cuts I've found at such light weight are the Hibiki commissioned HLS Les Pauls by Tokai. I had a 2015 that was 8lbs. We're so used to LPs being heavy that it's a sensational feeling to play a standard spec one, maple cap and all, that feels so light.
    I don’t mind the heavier side weight wise, it’s finding me the neck for me. Has to be on the fuller side. Have an 03 Standard that is borderline slim, but can’t get on with slim necks. The Tokai is middling, the R8s and R7 are spot on. That’s why the modern trad was such a nice surprise. Decent weight and a beefy neck.
  • I know what you mean about the neck profile. When I first got into LPs I preferred a thinner profile which is why I went for an R0 but now, a few years on my taste has shifted. I can live with the neck on my R0 but these days I definitely prefer a fuller neck.

that said, I think some of the larger profiles coming out of Gibson these days are too beefy. In 2012 I bought a Traditional from guitar village that I had to return. Forget baseball bat, this thing was like a telegraph pole! By contrast of the various vintage LPs I've played (including examples from 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 and 59) all have had very comfy necks that while full, were much more slender than that 2012 Trad.
    Looks like I have an 09 Trad Plus coming in on trade, so will be interesting to see how the neck feels compared to the 17 model.

The neck on the second guitar Any is building for me is sublime. The first one is good, but the second one is perfect. Looking forward to that being ready!
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited November 2017
    Awesome collection! I’m intrigued that your 2012 aged R8 might be my old one. Does it have a sunburst neck too? 

its the one in my avatar pic 
    Adamski said:
    Awesome collection! I’m intrigued that your 2012 aged R8 might be my old one. Does it have a sunburst neck too? 

Hi

yes, it does! It’s a stunning guitar!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    edited November 2017
    I only recently learnt that a flock of zebra is called A Dazzle
    may be remove those pickup covers and see if that works. Lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    ellwood said:
    Adamski said:

Hi

yes, it does! It’s a stunning guitar!
    So it probably is my old one or a sibling of. I loved it but the neck was bloody massive on it and that’s the only reason I had to let it go. Glad you’re enjoying it! 
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    What model is that double cutaway?