The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2413
    Thank you @FarleyUK and @Nerine. I got this sorted a couple of weeks back thanks to your advice. Late in responding because I've been enjoying every minute of it. For now, it's the best thing I've bought in years. Done everything I've thrown at it. With ease, might I add. It sounds ridiculously good!

It's funny because I've owned two III's before and for the life of me, I couldn't get it to sound as good as this. No doubt there were factors at play, but it seems strange. Everything seems to have clicked this time around. Reminds me of how much I used to love my Axe FX II XL, I'd never have sold that if it weren't for the III announcement. They'll have to do some pretty groundbreaking stuff to warrant forking out for an Axe FX IV, I mean there's absolutely nothing left to desire with this unit as far as I'm concerned.

Honeymoon period goggles, no doubt, but I'm certainly happy a fortnight into owning it again.
    Also, the latest FW has really enhanced a lot of the models - especially the Marshalls. Could be that's also factoring in to things.

Glad you're enjoying it though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Thank you @FarleyUK and @Nerine. I got this sorted a couple of weeks back thanks to your advice. ...
    What was your solution?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Thank you @FarleyUK and @Nerine. I got this sorted a couple of weeks back thanks to your advice. ...
    What was your solution?

I documented everything here:

I'm not convinced one thing solved the issue, but perhaps a combination of settings tweaks and perhaps realisations factored into it.

IRs are and always will be the massive ball ache of a Fractal device, IMO. But somehow, I've managed to stumble across a few pearlers for my needs. So I'm happy in that regard.

I didn't know that I needed to change the A/C frequency. I'm unsure if it solved the issues I was having, probably not, but it hasn't hurt changing it to what's considered the standard for the UK...50Hz?!

But the realisation that the knobs are almost like for like on an actual JCM 800 really made things pop for me. As you can see in the blog I've written, the knobs on the Axe FX are almost identical to where I had them on my real amp. I set the master volume way too high when I first had the unit, and that's a mistake because it attenuated the top end of a JCM 800. And I never used to do that on my real amp. So a lot of this was user error and not remembering the basics of using an amplifier. The fact that the Fractal needs to be treated like one was both enlightening and rewarding to find out.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    What was your solution?

Thanks. 
    Roland said:
    What was your solution?

I'm not convinced one thing solved the issue, but perhaps a combination of settings tweaks and perhaps realisations factored into it.

IRs are and always will be the massive ball ache of a Fractal device, IMO. But somehow, I've managed to stumble across a few pearlers for my needs. So I'm happy in that regard.

I didn't know that I needed to change the A/C frequency. I'm unsure if it solved the issues I was having, probably not, but it hasn't hurt changing it to what's considered the standard for the UK...50Hz?!

But the realisation that the knobs are almost like for like on an actual JCM 800 really made things pop for me. As you can see in the blog I've written, the knobs on the Axe FX are almost identical to where I had them on my real amp. I set the master volume way too high when I first had the unit, and that's a mistake because it attenuated the top end of a JCM 800. And I never used to do that on my real amp. So a lot of this was user error and not remembering the basics of using an amplifier. The fact that the Fractal needs to be treated like one was both enlightening and rewarding to find out.
    Nice one, glad you're happy with it!

IRs are a real double-edged sword. I've got two I tend to now use on everything (as I use dual amps and cabs in parallel) - I use the OwnHammer Marshall TV H30 3-00 on one side and the OwnHammer Marshall TV M25 3-00 on the other. Just makes things easier to manage.
    FarleyUK said:

IRs are a real double-edged sword. I've got two I tend to now use on everything (as I use dual amps and cabs in parallel) - I use the OwnHammer Marshall TV H30 3-00 on one side and the OwnHammer Marshall TV M25 3-00 on the other. Just makes things easier to manage.
    It took me several months to find the right IR, and that’s sticking with standard cabs and conventional mics. Even setting the mic proximity needed a dress rehearsal and two gigs, but then it can take that long to learn real world micing. Buying and selling real world amps and cabinets would have taken me a lot longer, and a lot more money. 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Ditto re: IRs

I have a couple I use and that's it. Only recently started fiddling with the proximity setting, but it's a powerful tool. It makes total sense as from my fairly limited experience micing guitar cabs, tiny movements can have a huge impact on the tone. 
  • I've also found IR's to be the thing that can drive you to distraction if you let it. I haven't found my 'go to' yet so any more  recommendations much appreciated...
  • Roland said:
    FarleyUK said:

It took me several months to find the right IR, and that’s sticking with standard cabs and conventional mics. Even setting the mic proximity needed a dress rehearsal and two gigs, but then it can take that long to learn real world micing. Buying and selling real world amps and cabinets would have taken me a lot longer, and a lot more money. 
    Where do you set the proximity as a starting point? thanks
    Start at 0 and keep tweaking til you like what you hear
    From memory I think mine's around 2
    Mine’s at 2.5. It probably ought to be lower, but I like a warm sound. I did go as far as 5.0, which sounded good at home but lacked brightness in a live mix. Remember that I can’t hear much above 3.5kHz, so I have to go on other people’s opinions.
  • Leon Todd’s TV Mix Live IR. He’s has baked in some EQ settings specifically for live use. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=711
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Came here to say I recently picked up an FM3 and got a pair of JBL 305p MkII studio monitors to run it through at home. Holy moly - it's epic!

The current Gift of Tone preset series are great and have been really helpful to learn what it's capable of.

Still getting my head around the UI and how to get the best from it but the tones are glorious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thoughts on the FC12? Is it really worth that price? Seems bonkers for a controller. But I'd love to get one.

Still getting my head around the UI and how to get the best from it but the tones are glorious.

Congrats, mate. Are you using Axe Edit or the unit itself? Axe Edit all the way, for me. Though I am trying to familiarise myself with the unit UI.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    @Jonathanthomas83 - I'm trying to use the unit itself as much as possible rather than FM3 Edit so that I'm better able to make on the fly tweaks/ changes without having to be connected to a laptop.
    In that regard, my HX Stomp/ HX Effects are far more intuitive but I'm sure I'll get there with the FM3 - it'll just take some time.

Thoughts on the FC12? Is it really worth that price? Seems bonkers for a controller. But I'd love to get one. 
    They are a lot of money, but I found it to be a real step up from the FC6, and I'm still missing the extra few switches now I'm on the FM9, but just means approaching things a little differently.

Mine was for sale on here for what I think was a very reasonable price, but I'm afraid you've missed out
    Thoughts on the FC12? Is it really worth that price? Seems bonkers for a controller. But I'd love to get one.
    It’s expensive, but integrates well with the AxeFX, including showing the tuner. I’ve previously used an FCB1010 and and MFC101. Compared with both the FC12 is much easier to configure and use, links up with a standard xlr cable, and it’s illuminated on a dark stage. I treated it as part of an AxeFX/FC12 package, and an alternative to the FM9. 

When evaluating price I also look at through-life cost, and factor in the cost of my time spent tinkering, configuring, and maintaining. With the MFC I had to swap the boards around to move the buttons, and manually edit switch settings with multiple button presses. With the FCB I had to buy an additional chip, and a usb/midi interface, to programme it. Even then reconfiguring them both was tedious. With the FC12 it was a quick parameter change to configure my performance layout, and I haven’t touched it since. You can also switch between different layouts. Not something I use at the moment, but would if I wanted to use a looper.

FC12 or FC6? I want that many buttons across the lower row, one for each scene in a song. I want that number of buttons across the top for kicking individual FX in or out if I’m not using scenes, and for jumping songs.

Congrats, mate. Are you using Axe Edit or the unit itself? Axe Edit all the way, for me. Though I am trying to familiarise myself with the unit UI.
    I don't think you need it if you have an FM9. I have one with my AFX3, but I've never had to connect it to the FM9. Every patch from the AFX3 has translated to the FM9 - I just needed to think about the layouts.
  • Thanks @Roland @FarleyUK. I have an Axe III and think I'd benefit from an FC12.

@roland you talk about tuner, I've noticed that Axe Edit tuner isn't as responsive as the Axe FX screen, which is amazing. Is the FC12 tuner as responsive?