Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Decent Rat pedal...

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good Rat-style pedal, or indeed an actual Rat pedal? I'm not sure what the modern Rat pedals are like, or whether it's best to go for a more boutique take on one.

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I'd start with a standard Rat and go from there.
    I have a USA rat and can't tell much if any difference soundwise with the made in China. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    At the cheaper end of things then the Mooer Black Secret is great. I have two if you happen to be interested in one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    I've got a Jam Rattler which is very nice. Expensive new but pop up on eBay now and again. I had a good old regular rat as well and the Jam version seemed a little more.... I don't know.... refined? Like a bit tighter but still with all the filthy goodness. However, that might be exactly why some people would prefer the original.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Just buy a RAT, I really don't understand why people want a RAT-style pedal when they are so cheap to buy S/h...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Just for what it's worth, I've found that having the Turbo RAT LED clipping is well worth having as an option - I prefer it anyhow, and many of the Chinese clones have a switch to select that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The Fuzzrocious Cat Tail's a nice version with a bunch of extra options.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The Buffalo Evolution is very Rat like.
  • I like my ARC Soothsayer.  I compared it against a RAT 2 and slightly preferred the voicing of the ARC.  I found it slightly smoother, while still being able to deliver a huge amount of gain if you want it.  Like @Dan_Halen said though, you might prefer the standard pedal.  YMMV etc etc.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    I'd go for a ThorpyFX Warthog
    It's like a more controllable RAT where the bottom end does crap out and the tone can be a lot more focussed
    You may find one here in the classifieds or have a word with Mr Thorpy himself as he's a forum member

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• MattPMattP Frets: 252
    edited November 2017
    Megii said:
    Just for what it's worth, I've found that having the Turbo RAT LED clipping is well worth having as an option - I prefer it anyhow, and many of the Chinese clones have a switch to select that.

Completely agree with this.

I have an American made Rat 2 that I've modified a bit, but also have an Eno mini rat-a-like with LED clipping options; I think I prefer the LEDs in the clone to my genuine (LM308) Rat.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    Nocturne ‘Ubangi Stomp’. It’s a rat with more clipping options, a touch more articulate.  Great pedal. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've got an old big-box Rat that I think sounds much better than the new ones.
    Works very well for slide.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    Any older American-made Rat with full-size pots and preferably a DPDT switch ('Millenium' bypass, still true bypass but with a clever way of activating the LED).

The ones with the small pots just don't sound as good, and some have reverse-taper pots too, which means there is no useful range on the controls, it's all compressed into one end of the turn.

Small pots:

http://guitargas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/rat-with-brat-serial-gut-shot.gif

Proper pots:

http://webpages.charter.net/daosmun/Blackface inside.JPG

This is a much more important difference than the LM308 chip being replaced by an OP07 in about 2002 my opinion, and happened before the shift to China in around 2008, so later US ones are the same as Chinese ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've got both a Jam Rattler on the board and a Rat 2 spare. Love a Rat.
    edited November 2017
    MattP said:
    Megii said:

Completely agree with this.

I have an American made Rat 2 that I've modified a bit, but also have an Eno mini rat-a-like with LED clipping options; I think I prefer the LEDs in the clone to my genuine (LM308) Rat.

I have basically the same pedal as you @MattP although mine is branded "Andoer", but clearly the same thing. I don't use it at massively high gain either - it's just that the LED clipping seems to have a thicker, fatter sound to it, and to my ears has this "smooth but grainy" kind of quality - if that makes any sense at all!  :D 

• g12mg12m Frets: 1
    I have a USA rat without the 308 chip and one with and they are both good but a little different the 308 chip just has something in around the 14/15th fret area on the g/b strings that the other rat has not, in a band mix situation I don't think I would notice so much.

I just reminded myself that I need to have a pedal clear out as I don't use them these days.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I have a Keeley Rat 2 which I tend to use in the "mighty mouse" mode most of the time which I think has something to do with led clipping but not 100% sure. The phat rat mode sounds good as well, stock mode sounds ok. I'd like to try a Turbo Rat for reference since some people say they prefer the originals to keeley modded. It's the only pedal other than a tubescreamer that's been in constant rotation on my board, I must have had it for a good 10 years now and it always comes and goes. 
  • It's weird that the normal Pro Co pedals don't seem to be as easy to buy now....not many stockists and totally different pricing.

What on earth is this? Surely too good to be true:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ARB9N4A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AKIY8GGXQH0TU&psc=1

• Not sure if you fancy soldering but the Pedalparts kit is a fantastic Rat.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

It's weird that the normal Pro Co pedals don't seem to be as easy to buy now....not many stockists and totally different pricing.

What on earth is this? Surely too good to be true:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ARB9N4A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AKIY8GGXQH0TU&psc=1

I had one of those (sold it to someone else on here) - it was a good pedal. Just one of several Chinese made mini-pedal rat clones out there - I already had my Andoer/ENO one, so it was really surplus to requirements. Haven't tried one, but I notice there is now a Caline brand full-size rat-type pedal:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caline-CP-34-Distortion-Guitar-Effect/dp/B071LHLMFB/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1511963970&sr=1-1&keywords=caline+head+room - just out of interest.