What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Philtre said:
    jpfamps said:
    Philtre said:
    crunchman said:

...and discovered the abomination that is the 3 sided circuit board.  At that point I decided it was simpler to sell the amp.

Personally, I'd sell the C30 and buy a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.  Only 2 power valves instead of 4, and they will probably last 5 times as long.  It's also much better built.

And that is exactly what I did. If the caps go on the C30 you can kiss goodbye to your wallet.
    Last C30 I changed the caps on came to around £100 all in (+ £48 for a set of EL84s).
    Was it a bugger to do it?
    I've worked on loads of C30s, so it was OK, BUT if you don't have any experience of working on this amp, I would advise against having a go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    hassleham said:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

There is a JJ revalve kit on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Valve-Kit-For-Peavey-Classic-30/332189115040?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Any reason not to go with that?
    Looks fine.

Depending on your ear/amp you may find three JJ in the pre amp a bit dark, I don't know that amp, also if you buy the kit only replace the pre amp valves where needed, keep a few in a drawer for when you really need them
  • @Modulus_Amps ;

Cheers.
    I will get that set and try replacing all of the power valves and see how it sounds. Then I'll try the preamp valves and see.
    It could be that the amp itself is knackered, in which case I'll have lots of spares :)
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Folks over at the peavey forum recommend a tungsol in v1, JJ in v2 & sovtek lps in v3. It''s  what I've got and it does sound good.
  • @rawk100 ;
    Thanks for that, I will try and pick some different ones up on eBay and have a play.