Is there anything special about the RV3?

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
I notice that they regularly sell for more than the RV5, any reason why?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    They're not very versatile, but what they do they do INCREDIBLY well. Basically if you want post-rock in a pedal then this is it. The reverb sound is quite...lack of a better term...cold, but can get really cavernous, and the delay can get really glitchy if you max out the feedback as it doesn't self-oscillate.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    The RV-2 is very well thought of.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • AFAIK, its because it does full wet with no direct signal. I never used it like that and was glad to sell it at the time.
  • yeah, I would say it’s the Post Rock thing too. Loads of bands particularly Explosions in the Sky were stockpiling RV3’s. I have a RV6 that I use for a full wet/ full decay “big” reverb (as apposed to my Holy Grail which is the “small”) and it sounds incredible and a million times better than my friends RV5
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    It's a great pedal if you need delay and reverb in the same box - the RV-2, 5 and 6 only do reverb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The RV-5 isn’t here to defend itself, behave. FWIW, the modulation setting on an RV-5 is wonderful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    It's a great pedal if you need delay and reverb in the same box - the RV-2, 5 and 6 only do reverb.

The RV-6 does have a delay setting. Sounds great. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    Fuengi said:

Ah, I missed that. What reverb does it use in the delay setting?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    Fuenigi said:

Ah, I missed that. What reverb does it use in the delay setting?

Good question. I was going to check today but forgot.

From memory I think it's a plate reverb but might be wrong. It works really well with the delay which is controlled by the tone knob.  
  • I notice that they regularly sell for more than the RV5, any reason why?
    The Radiohead connection as much as anything. The RV-5 has such a lovely modulated setting. The RV-6 isn't bad either. 

• It has a flaw in that the signal drops when switched on and off.