A bit of a long shot but are there any aircraft pilots or aircraft instrumentation engineers on here

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Emp_Fab said:
    You can't tell if a van is tilting without an instrument to tell you ??? !!  If I still worked in the DVLA, I'd be sending you for a medical right about now.

Carol earlier today...

lol

If you could find a 'wag approved reason' to fit WWII parts to your car wouldn't you do it?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013

ah well that's f**ked it. The price is upto £45 now, thats a lot to spend something might not work, and even if it does, might not do what I want.

Here's the link in case you fancy bidding on it for you own Me109 project :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Luftwaffe-Bf-109-Me-109-Artificial-Horizon-Aircraft-Instrument-Circa-1940-/121162394388

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    A cheaper option would be to take a cast of a drummer's mouth.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    iPhone spirit level - job done.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    A cheaper option would be to take a cast of a drummer's mouth.

Make sure you wipe up the dribble beforehand.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I use a double spirit level in my camper, then argue with the wife for ten minutes about how close I am to the top of the levelling ramps. I gather some caravanners use a plumb bob which they hang in the door way and align with a mark, (small 'X') on the door frame below.

Pay load is my issue, the paraphernalia associated with a proper artificial horizon has to be traded off against other valuable camping commodities like BEER.

Like your thinking though, campers like gadgets, often wondered what the big US RVs use to guide/operate their hydraulic/electric self levelling systems?   

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Probably gyroscopic control.

ROOG said:

I gather some caravanners use a plumb bob which they hang in the door way and align with a mark, (small 'X') on the door frame below.

Genius!!! I'm having a bit of that.

in other news the A.Horizion from the Me109 is holding a cruising altiude of £45 .... maybe I'll ........ no must resist ....... but it would be cool ....... but it won't work ........... yeah but ........ etc etc.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The advice we were given for the motorhome was if its level enough for your wine glass not to slide off the table it will be fine. In practice if a pitch was uneven MrsTheweary would get out, put the chocks under the wheels and shout at me until it looked about right. We did have a go with a spirit level but you get it just right then turn off the engine and apply the brakes which is enough to move the a couple of inches which is just enough not to be perfectly balanced anymore.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited August 2013

Less fussy than I used to be, looking at the spirit level is more a habit than a levelling obsession. I have discovered one thing though and that is I don't like sleeping with my head lower than my feet, even the small amount that might look acceptable!

What we did discover in our not so perfectly sealed aging motorhome some years ago, was that  perfect levelling led to rain water ponding on the roof which showed up small leaks, not nice being woken in the middle of the night by dripping water from the roof.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    MrsTheweary was a bit obsessed about the head/feet thing so we just moved the pillows from one end to the other as neccesary. So, how easy it was for me to get to the loo in the night ( ie did I have to climb over her or not or vice versa) depended on the level of the pitch.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Yeah, but if we swap the pillow end around we wont be able to watch satellite TV in bed.

Sorry did I say camping!