Wet / dry rig

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
I'm sure this has been talked about before but simply put am I correct in thinking that all modulation goes to one amp and drives go to both. My brain is feeling the strain already LOL
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Why do you want to go down that path would be my first question?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Why do you want to go down that path would be my first question?
    Just trying different sounds tbh. Everyone seems to rave about it?
  • Doesn't one of the TPS videos go through dry- wet rigs? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'm sure this has been talked about before but simply put am I correct in thinking that all modulation goes to one amp and drives go to both. My brain is feeling the strain already LOL
    I suppose you could do it that way. I would have thought that you'd send a similar dry (clean or distorted) signal to both amps but only send modulation, delay and reverb to one. 

Deciding where to split the signal would be part of the fun- you could use the preamp section of one amp, split the signal in the effects loop and send the signal to the effects return to two different amps, or you could split the signal earlier in the chain to use both the preamp and power amp sections of two different (or two identical) amps.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I'm sure this has been talked about before but simply put am I correct in thinking that all modulation goes to one amp and drives go to both. My brain is feeling the strain already LOL
    I suppose you could do it that way. I would have thought that you'd send a similar dry (clean or distorted) signal to both amps but only send modulation, delay and reverb to one. 

Deciding where to split the signal would be part of the fun- you could use the preamp section of one amp, split the signal in the effects loop and send the signal to the effects return to two different amps, or you could split the signal earlier in the chain to use both the preamp and power amp sections of two different (or two identical) amps.
    Yeah that's what I meant i.e. Modulation / delay to one amp and drives to both. I really don't get FX lops on amps i.e. 4CM etc. So would rather not go down that route as it'll be a nightmare of cabling at a gig which I can't be doing with  :(

So I'm thinking splitting the signal somewhere to enable this wet/dry scenario. The TPS show mentioned above still doesn't explain it enough for me to where and how to spilt the signal. To further complicate things I do sometimes go out with one amp so using my Sum to Mon box is gonna come into play there
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    You got your own foh bloke or gonna be using the venues? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:
    You got your own foh bloke or gonna be using the venues? 

LOL I wish. Just me/us sound checking before gig 
  • I'd worry that on small/ pub gigs I suppose anywhere that the audience is hearing the backline that some people would just hear mostly wet and some people mostly dry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd worry that on small/ pub gigs I suppose anywhere that the audience is hearing the backline that some people would just hear mostly wet and some people mostly dry. 
    Ah so these Stereo/Wet/Dry rig scenarios are for the big boys ideally?
    I dunno, it would be interesting to know if somebody runs one successfully on smaller gigs. 
    Most of the gigs we play I don't know where I'd even put an extra amp. 
    I dunno, it would be interesting to know if somebody runs one successfully on smaller gigs. 
    Most of the gigs we play I don't know where I'd even put an extra amp. 
    Yeah space is an issue sometimes. Which is the reason why i got the sum to mon box as I go out with just one amp if space is tight 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I'm sure this has been talked about before but simply put am I correct in thinking that all modulation goes to one amp and drives go to both. My brain is feeling the strain already LOL

Yeah that's what I meant i.e. Modulation / delay to one amp and drives to both. I really don't get FX lops on amps i.e. 4CM etc. So would rather not go down that route as it'll be a nightmare of cabling at a gig which I can't be doing with  :(

So I'm thinking splitting the signal somewhere to enable this wet/dry scenario. The TPS show mentioned above still doesn't explain it enough for me to where and how to spilt the signal. To further complicate things I do sometimes go out with one amp so using my Sum to Mon box is gonna come into play there

It's farly simple, if you keep if fairly simple. Use something like the GigRig Humdinger - place it after your drives and then use one output to continue the journey through modulation and delays / reverbs and onto amp 1, then use the other Humdinger output to go directly to amp 2. If you place the amps together on a small stage (and don't be tempted to spread them out too much), it should work a treat.

You can then use your output 1 above for when you use a single amp (and not run out 2 at all) but you will need to readjust your effects levels as you get away with a lot more of everything when you run wet/dry.

• dindude said:

It's farly simple, if you keep if fairly simple. Use something like the GigRig Humdinger - place it after your drives and then use one output to continue the journey through modulation and delays / reverbs and onto amp 1, then use the other Humdinger output to go directly to amp 2. If you place the amps together on a small stage (and don't be tempted to spread them out too much), it should work a treat.

You can then use your output 1 above for when you use a single amp (and not run out 2 at all) but you will need to readjust your effects levels as you get away with a lot more of everything when you run wet/dry.

Yeah that's what I had in mind. My Sum to Mon box will certainly help in not having to adjust fx settings though methinks

I would imagine 90% of provided FOH engineers will greet 'I'm running wet/dry" with a look of distain or fear. In smaller venues atleast :P

Majority I've come across don't wanna take a stereo signal from a modeller that literally involves panning one left and the other right and keeping the settings equal!

• sgosden said:

I would imagine 90% of provided FOH engineers will greet 'I'm running wet/dry" with a look of distain or fear. In smaller venues atleast :P

Majority I've come across don't wanna take a stereo signal from a modeller that literally involves panning one left and the other right and keeping the settings equal!

Never done a gig yet where I've been mic'd up LOL. So very rare we ever experience FOH man :(
  • Which kind of begs the question why bother?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Which kind of begs the question why bother?
    You say it won't make much difference then in a small venue?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’d say it’s way more trouble than it’s worth.
  • simonk said:
    I’d say it’s way more trouble than it’s worth.
    LOL I'm starting to think the same :)

We're a bunch of negative party poopers here right :P

The short answer for most these cool wet/dry, wet/dry/wet, stereo, dual amp, multiple mics... they sound fucking awesome when they're set up right at home in the studio, or if you've got all day at a big venue to sound check with a sound engineer who knows what you want.

In a small venue, where you're set up and sound check is 10 minutes before you start, the promoter has shoved 6 bands into a 3 hour event, a sound engineer  will get some levels then sit on their phone with ear plugs in through your set so they don't notice the backing mic isn't on ... it may be more hassle than its worth!