Wet / dry rig

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sgosden said:

We're a bunch of negative party poopers here right :P

The short answer for most these cool wet/dry, wet/dry/wet, stereo, dual amp, multiple mics... they sound fucking awesome when they're set up right at home in the studio, or if you've got all day at a big venue to sound check with a sound engineer who knows what you want.

In a small venue, where you're set up and sound check is 10 minutes before you start, the promoter has shoved 6 bands into a 3 hour event, a sound engineer  will get some levels then sit on their phone with ear plugs in through your set so they don't notice the backing mic isn't on ... it may be more hassle than its worth!

Blimey sounds like you've been to one of our gigs LOL
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Hmmm...

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/orange-rocker-32

...looks like a practical solution for smaller venues.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    I use a 'pseudo' wDw rig with my AX8, via 2 Yamaha DXR10 FrFr speakers - so not 'quite' a proper wDw rig.

However, I can say that it does sound pretty damn huge in pub gigs, especially in the band where I'm the only guitarist. The bass player and I both have one speaker either side of the drummer as our backline (my speakers are pole mounted). The dry signal is in the 'center', with the wet FX panned hard left and right.

Sounds pretty huge out front!
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    Why not just do stereo?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    Gadget said:
    Why not just do stereo?
    Because - to my ears anyway - the pseudo wDw setup sounds better.
  • There must be a lot of pro level Guitarists on these forums,if so many play all the time through P.A. systems with FOH engineers,in all my years of gigging(which is a lot),I've probably played through a P.A.system requiring an engineer maybe 50 times,compared to thousands of semi-pro pub type gigs,which is where I suspect the op is gigging.
    I've never used effects,but i'm thinking of doing the same thing(just to see/hear how it sounds),so let's have more posts about how members are achieving this,instead of "PRO" players who see no use in it =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know they did a whole show on it previously but on this week’s TPS they briefly illustrate dry wet from around 48 mins. 

https://youtu.be/WxM_Ie0nbE8
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I know they did a whole show on it previously but on this week’s TPS they briefly illustrate dry wet from around 48 mins. 

Yes I was confused at one stage of that episode. When dan mentioned that when both amps were having all the fx sent to them and then he kicked in the fuzz and talked about its clarity. Unless I misheard or something he made it sound as he was talking about a third amp I.e. which the fuzz was going to. I've probably not listened to it correctly :(
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    edited December 2017
    I'd worry that on small/ pub gigs I suppose anywhere that the audience is hearing the backline that some people would just hear mostly wet and some people mostly dry. 
    Ah so these Stereo/Wet/Dry rig scenarios are for the big boys ideally?
    Woah.
    Don't confuse stereo with dual mono or W/D.
    All different.

Wet/Dry rigs are, IMO, the most pointless things ever; the only point of a stereo rig is to get panning mods and delays, and even that's pointless unless for your own indulgence at home. (*unless again, the sound engineer is mic'ing the whole rig up in stereo through the PA)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• S/W @Gassage ? Can you explain 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    S/W @Gassage ? Can you explain 
    Sure. I made a spelling mistake !

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Yes I was confused at one stage of that episode. When dan mentioned that when both amps were having all the fx sent to them and then he kicked in the fuzz and talked about its clarity. Unless I misheard or something he made it sound as he was talking about a third amp I.e. which the fuzz was going to. I've probably not listened to it correctly :(
    I wasn't paying that much attention but I think the fuzz went to both amps, the idea being that it keeps greater clarity on a wet dry set up. 
    With modulation it always seems to be too much or not enough so a wet dry set up should be the solution to that. I have a vague memory of a Pete Thorn thing where he said he had a wet dry ( maybe even stereo) rig playing in a trio but in a bigger band it worked better as a straight ( mono) set up. That feels about right. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I go stereo everytine I can.    Either out of the ax8 or amplifire or with pedals - I’ve used W/D a few times but I like the bigger, wider sound from stereo more and imo it’s more consistent moving around the stage than WD if that makes sense.  
    I run into two Marshall stacks or a fender twin and Bogner mojado.   
    Whichever set up it’s very simple - a pair of cables to the amps and either the non drive effects in stereo or only to one side. 
    I cant recall an engineer having any issues - I just tell them I want two channels panned 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock and suggest the di is probably fine but do what you want to make it sound good in the room.    Turn the amps up the level I need to compete with drums and the rest of the band can hear it and off we go.    
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    If I’m doing my own pa I’ve experimented with it in the helix
    I run stereo XLRs into the desk and then another line from one of the sends into a 3rd centre channel
    i splice that just after the cab
    i then have a dry centre amp and the fx like flange chorus rev and delay in glorious stereo
    they still have about 20-30% dry signal in them and I balance the mix with the faders then group them together for overall volume
    its also do-able with axe Fx
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    I've tried a similar thing at home: a kind of W/D/W.
    With 3 amps I had one slightly overdriven (65Amps London Pro) getting just the straight guitar sound and the other two amps (Fender DRRi and 5E3) where cleaner and getting all the effects.
    It sounds GREAT but I wouldn't get them to a gig.
    I've used two amps live a few times but as a dual mono rig cause I like how they complement each other. I don't really care for stereo effects, specially live.