Custom Chibson Experience (Internals vid added)

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Chlusons..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I do think that the diamond holes looked badly cut, with curved sides where they ought to be straight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10302
    Wouldn't mind one of those Chibsons but I'd want another one after ten minutes.Could get expensive.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Have you guys seen the Yunzhi archtops? yunzhimusic.en.alibaba.com/
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4148
    edited March 2014
    @loobs I hadn't - they look pretty impressive! I just saw this lovely mandolin there too;

@usedtobe - haha, yeah I reckon so! I'll be swapping them out for some Tonepros Deluxes anyway in all likelihood. I also figured it's relatively difficult to install wonky klusons given that the screws force the alignment quite well. :)

*edit* Woah, I just fell in love with this one ($780);

@guitarmonkey I'm not quite sure I see your point, these measure up pretty straight on my screen;

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    TTony said:
    seen this?
    I hadn't! Cheers for that, seems to be alright apart from the finish flaws. I didn't see much evidence of wonky parts etc from the vid - although those "grovers" are clearly fake too so I'm even more grateful that I've opted for klusons. :)

It would be a better video if he a) turned the lights on and b) stopped sighing so much

Seriously hes bemoaning a sub £300 guitar - id say it looked pretty for good for the money - Fret job wasnt mentioned though which i understand is where a lot of "Chibbo's" fail

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    @guitarmonkey I'm not quite sure I see your point, these measure up pretty straight on my screen;
    Maybe what I saw seeing was due to the curvature of the top.
    Perhaps :) It looked like there might have been some minor levelling issues with the finish on small areas around the f-holes, but here's an actual DG-335 with similar problems (and no binding!);

• Honestly, that's not much worse than the VOS 335 I saw...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248

Interesting video, it appears that the control cavities were routed, then a veneer applied. Which was then knocked through.
    The rest of it looks fairly well done I must say. :D IMHO, China are trying to do what the japanese did back with Tokai and Greco etc. in the 70's. They are really trying to establish a name for themselves as cheap not bad guitars. I can't imagine that Epiphone are actually any better guitars, or that they pay their workers any more. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    On a slight tangent has any heard of Rare Electric Guitar? I've been talking to them about a customised Jimmy Page "dragon" telecaster and really don't know whether to go for it or not - they've readily agreed to every request and the price is <$400 shipped.

Might be an utter waste of money, on the other hand........

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    monofin said:
    On a slight tangent has any heard of Rare Electric Guitar? I've been talking to them about a customised Jimmy Page "dragon" telecaster and really don't know whether to go for it or not - they've readily agreed to every request and the price is <$400 shipped.<br />
    Might be an utter waste of money, on the other hand........

Blimey how many of these companies are there? Some of those looking stunning (all usual if-that-is-what-you-gets apply). It's going to get really tricky buying second hand guitars now...

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    that's my worry, as the fakes get very good it could ruin the used market in frequently faked guitars, as no one will risk it.
  • Can someone please PM me the link to the site:-/
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618

Can someone please PM me the link to the site:-/
    It's in this thread!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's so long - I haven't looked at every post :-)
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    monofin;191206" said:
    On a slight tangent has any heard of Rare Electric Guitar? I've been talking to them about a customised Jimmy Page "dragon" telecaster and really don't know whether to go for it or not - they've readily agreed to every request and the price is
    I have never used them but a colleague in the us has for some guitars. They are very good from what he said. They have also been around a long time abd get good reviews on YouTube etc.

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Thinking about this whole Chibson thing there is a positive:
    Imagine the scenario:
    Wife: not another guitar. Hang on, Gibson Les Paul.......how much was that?
    Me: nah it's a cheap Chinese copy, here have a look at the website. I've saved nearly £2k by buying that.
    Wife: oh that's ok then
    Me: yeah bargain (why do I sweat profusely when I'm lying)
    Wife: you look worn out, sit down I'll make you a cuppa

Phew!!!!!!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom