Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD! 20 Guitars will post images throughout the day (COMPLETE)

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    edited December 2017
    Wow - huge collection there. We'll all like/hate different things of course & some of those are pretty ornate and very 'distinctive' (personally I'm more of a boring traditionalist lol!). But some nice stuff there to be sure. 

Re the 2004 Strat, colour aside I don't think that's a 50th Anniversary (although I can't see the back, all the Fenders made that year had a 50th neck plate so if it has that, they all did).  There were only 4 genuine 50th anniversary Stratocasters (3 USA, 1 Mexican - see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Fender-2004-50th-Anniversary-Stratocaster-Buying-Guide-/10000000012114321/g.html).  

Only the Deluxe version had the 50th anniversary laser etched single ply parchment pickguard - from the picture that looks more like a sticker but the Deluxe had gold fittings in any event with abalone dot inlays.  I suspect someone's taken a normal 2004 Strat and jazzed it up.  Those double rail pickups certainly don't seem stock - the 50th Deluxe had S1 switching & Bill Lawrence Somarium Cobalt Noiseless p/ups, the USA Series version had the chrome hardware and 54 custom shop p/ups.  They also both came with a special commemorative tweed case.  

Both the 50th American Series and 50th American Deluxe were two tone sunburst - the American series body was Ash, the Deluxe was Alder.  I have a 50th Anniversary Deluxe myself:

photo 100_0411_zps576532c8jpg

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    Wow - huge collection there. We'll all like/hate different things of course & some of those are pretty ornate and very 'distinctive' although personally I'm more of a boring traditionalist. But some nice stuff there to be sure. 

Re the 2004 50th Strat, colour aside I don't think that's a 50th Anniversary (although I can't see the back, all the Fenders made that year had a 50th neck plate so if it has that, they all did).  There were only 4 genuine 50th anniversary Stratocasters (3 USA, 1 Mexican - see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Fender-2004-50th-Anniversary-Stratocaster-Buying-Guide-/10000000012114321/g.html).  

Only the Deluxe version had the 50th anniversary laser etched single ply parchment pickguard - from the picture that looks more like a sticker but the Deluxe had gold fittings in any event with abalone dot inlays.  I suspect someone's taken a normal 2004 Strat and jazzed it up.  Those double rail pickups certainly don't seem stock - the 50th Deluxe had S1 switching & Bill Lawrence Somarium Cobalt Noiseless p/ups, the USA Series version had the chrome hardware and 54 custom shop p/ups.  They also both came with a special commemorative tweed case.  

I have a 50th Anniversary Deluxe myself:

photo 100_0411_zps576532c8jpg

Thanks for the info, the pick guard is etched. Although easily swapped out. I do intend to have the properly looked at (because my knowledge is slim) so will let you know the outcome! 
  • Funkfingers said:

Or you are some kin of HarrySeven...
    :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    Mortland said:
    Thanks for the info, the pick guard is etched. Although easily swapped out. I do intend to have the properly looked at (because my knowledge is slim) so will let you know the outcome! 
    No probs. If the pickguard 50th logo is etched its just been added or else the pickguard has been replaced.  The American Series 50th Anniversary which had chrome fittings and the normal black dot markers didn't have the laser etched pickguard.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    I thought that the Malmsteen Strat has a Vintage trem and not a 2 point unit, still gorgeous though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6925
    edited December 2017
    Happy MNGD - a lot of those are what I’d class as an ‘acquired’ taste. So I hope you got a bargain for the bulk purchase. I’m boring so the best one for me is the Mexican Strat - what colour is that blue? It looks great in the photos.

Also it’s the wrong logo for a standard so I assume it’s a 60’s classic or something?

Good stuff

Enjoy them.

When I die (unless it’s untimely) there will be a guitar each for my daughters. What they do with them thereafter who knows!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • With regard to the inlaid Strat... is that an offset seam between two pieces of wood i.e. the vertical line in the wood running through the jack socket position? In my limited experience, not sure I've seen joins in that position on any CS Strats.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    I love that MN blue LP!!
  • With regard to the inlaid Strat... is that an offset seam between two pieces of wood i.e. the vertical line in the wood running through the jack socket position? In my limited experience, not sure I've seen joins in that position on any CS Strats.
    Just had a look, isn’t a ply just a rather straight grain line! 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1092
    Love that HM Strat in white,both of my HM's have maple boards which seem to take a beating 

Gratz on your score
  • Iamnobody said:
    Happy MNGD - a lot of those are what I’d class as an ‘acquired’ taste. So I hope you got a bargain for the bulk purchase. I’m boring so the best one for me is the Mexican Strat - what colour is that blue? It looks great in the photos.

Also it the wrong logo for a standard so I assume it’s a 60’s classic or something?

Goof stuff

Enjoy them.

When I die (unless it’s untimely) there will be a guitar each for my daughters. What they do with them thereafter who knows!
    Define a bargain . . . 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I've nothing of any use to say other than - wow! Some great guitars there. That's the rest of your week sorted then - plug 'em in and crank 'em up!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    edited December 2017
    Mortland said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Happy MNGD - a lot of those are what I’d class as an ‘acquired’ taste. So I hope you got a bargain for the bulk purchase.

Define a bargain . . . 
    Interesting one...I too was mulling this over earlier

Personally (as @Iamnobody already said), there would have been little to butter my parsnips amongst your haul (no disrespect whatsoever intended), so even for a self-proclaimed magpie/gear-hoarder like me, it would have had to have been significantly cheap to merit any interest.

So...the dictionary says "a thing bought or offered for sale much more cheaply than is usual or expected" - but there has to be a strong degree of need or want in there too, so...

a. It's something you really, REALLY want.
    b. It's so cheap you can't possibly turn it down.
    c. In light of b. above - there may be (a few) things you want, but the bulk price is so low that it's worth spending out and acquiring the lot in order to flip the things you don't want and thus recoup your outlay (or trade them for things you do want).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6925
    Mortland said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Happy MNGD - a lot of those are what I’d class as an ‘acquired’ taste. So I hope you got a bargain for the bulk purchase.

Define a bargain . . . 

Personally (as @Iamnobody already said), there would have been little to butter my parsnips amongst your haul (no disrespect whatsoever intended), so even for a self-proclaimed magpie/gear-hoarder like me, it would have had to have been significantly cheap to merit any interest.

So...the dictionary says "a thing bought or offered for sale much more cheaply than is usual or expected" - but there has to be a strong degree of need or want in there too, so...

c. In light of b. above - there may be (a few) things you want, but the bulk price is so low that it's worth spending out and acquiring the lot in order to flip the things you don't want and thus recoup your outlay (or trade them for things you do want).

Mr Seven puts a good argument across. I guess the definition of bargain is subjective.

I wouldn’t be able to put a value on it - but if  I didn’t want 50% of the guitars and had to tie my money up and then spend my time selling or trading them I’d want to make at least a hundred quid on each (average).

Obviously the lower value ones there probably isn’t that margin but as I said an average.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mortland said:
    Iamnobody said:

Define a bargain . . . 

Option C with a hint of I generally just enjoy playing with anything new!

But as a your are a self proclaimed magpie, what would you define as cheap numerically? I shall not be offended if I got it wrong, just for my piece of mind
  • Mortland said:
    Galveston Les Paul

Flat top, looks very glam.

I know very little about this make so any knowledge welcomed!

https://imgur.com/a/i3hP2

Galveston - IIRC, entry-level generic MIC copies for the large part, bolstered with a few bling finishes, acrylic bodies and the like. Think Wesley, Keiper, etc as comparable brands.

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    edited December 2017
    Mortland said:

Option C with a hint of I generally just enjoy playing with anything new!

A man after my own heart!

Mortland said:

What would you define as cheap numerically? I shall not be offended if I got it wrong, just for my piece of mind

Now that's tricky...primarily as it's not stuff which would normally blow my frock up...

Also (as has been discussed), some have been modified, may have chequered histories, etc. Other factors would be:

a. Was this a "public" transaction? (in that other parties may have tendered for the collection - competition would potentially increase the price)

b. How much space there was for negotiation (eg. buying in bulk often confers significant price reductions for precisely that reason - either in individual/overall prices or lower-value "sweeteners" thrown into the deal at little or no additional cost)

etc...

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Off the top of my head I would be happy paying £7k for that lot if I had the intention of selling the majority and keeping a couple of my favourites.

(Maybe £8k if in the flesh a couple are nicer than I think)
  • Mortland said:
    Last but no least (my favourite!!)

Ibanez Jem 70V-SFG

hands down winner for me!!

https://imgur.com/a/FfZwM
    Don't let @Alnico see that...he'll be all over it like flies on shit!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you

• Damn! We could do with a poll...

Did Mortland get a bargain?

If so...how much did he pay?
    • Less than £5K - OMG! It was a steal!
    • £5K - £5.75K
    • £5.75K - £6.25K
    • £6.25K - £6.5K
    • £6.5K - £7K
    • £7K+