Ohmmmmm, selmer type 8 ohm doubt?

lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
My Kelly amp (a tidy Selmer treble &bass) has a single 16 ohm output and two 8 ohm outputs. Up until now, I’ve been using a single 8 ohm output. I would like to try plugging in an 8 ohm Leslie cab alongside my 8 ohm 4x12. I assume it goes in the other 8 ohm output, thereby reaching 16 ohm in series. 
Is that right?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    No, it will give 4 ohms in parallel. It should still be safe using both 8-ohm jacks though, if you’re not cranking it right up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The 60 watt amp is loud at vol1 so cranking isn’t an option.
    Does that mean I should be using two cabs, each running at 8 ohms, which the amp will run in parallel at 4 ohms?
    What’s the logic behind this output as opposed to a Marshall double output with an ohm selector?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    lukedlb said:
    The 60 watt amp is loud at vol1 so cranking isn’t an option.
    Does that mean I should be using two cabs, each running at 8 ohms, which the amp will run in parallel at 4 ohms?
    No, because the amp doesn't have a 4-ohm output. The best solution would be to make a series connection box so you can run both cabs from the 16-ohm output, but it probably doesn't matter if you're not cranking it.

lukedlb said:

What’s the logic behind this output as opposed to a Marshall double output with an ohm selector?
    Cheaper to do and more reliable - a third jack is less expensive than a selector switch, and old Marshall selectors were notoriously unreliable and a major cause of blown output transformers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein