Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wah Pedal Thread (Post your guitar on Wah in here).

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    One must always remember the sage advice Frank Zappa gave regarding the correct use of a wah pedal:
    The first thing you don't do is tap your foot on it in time with the music. The two basics are to locate a notch in the pedal so it gets a mid-range sustain that is tuned properly to the amp EQ that you have, so you get a nice boxy sound out of it to make all those stinkin' tones that teenagers really go for, and the other thing is to move it very slightly and put most of the action in the rear half of the pedal, because that's where you get most of the speaking type sounds out of it. When you push it right down and open the filter all the way up you get that squeaky sound, and I don't like that. I like the middle range of the pedal. Don't tilt it all the way forward or back, just work the middle of it. It only takes a very little foot movement to change the whole sound of your guitar.

And that is what you should aim for when using a wah - "stinkin' tones that teenagers really go for."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm surprised no ones mentioned the Xotic wah yet. Love mine and very tweakable if that's your thang ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited December 2017
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    I bought a Dunlop cry baby mid 90s. I never got on with them before so never bought one. Now it' a permanent fixture on the board. Like all fx best used sparsely but nice to do a single sweep on a chord change. Very reliable.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I started with a 90s Dunlop wah, worked great until the pot started to crackle louder than the notes being played. Bought George Dennis wah with a deep switch, I still own it, it functions perfectly.. But the sound is not quite there.

I've posted about this before, but I spent most part of a day at hotrox trying every wah they had in stock. Ended up buying the EVH and an Ernie Ball wah. But a short while later I picked up the CAE. The CAE is my main wah, sold the evh and EB.