Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands you tried to get into...and failed...

What's Hot

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Led Zeppelin ('When The Levee Breaks' is a proper tune - can't be arsed about anything else)
    Tool
    Radiohead
    Janes Addiction
    Rush

Lastly, quite staggeringly considering the music I listen to...Iron Maiden. I do like about a dozen tracks and I've tried many times over the years to become a proper 'fan' but I just lose interest every single time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Smashing Pumpkins. On paper a fantastic band spoiled by a singer with an unlistenable voice. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    The Pixies would be fairly high up the list for me.

I can't get into metal at all, either, I just can't take it seriously.

There are quite a few records I've bought because I know they're classic albums, but I can't seem to get into them: Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On, John Martyn's Solid Air, Gene Clark's White Light, the first Velvet Underground album, Endtroducing by DJ Shadow, etc.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited December 2017
    Radiohead (I liked some tracks on In Rainbows)
    The Doors
    Muse
    The Smiths (I fucking hate his voice)
    Don Broco (see above)
    Anything with Pete Doherty in it
    The Strokes (see above)
    Steve Vai (don't even know what the band is called)
  • Stuckfast said:
    The Pixies would be fairly high up the list for me.

I can't get into metal at all, either, I just can't take it seriously.

There are quite a few records I've bought because I know they're classic albums, but I can't seem to get into them: Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On, John Martyn's Solid Air, Gene Clark's White Light, the first Velvet Underground album, Endtroducing by DJ Shadow, etc.
    Agree on Endtroducing. It was really hyped up at the time, mainly because of it's all sampled content. Borrowed it off a mate when it came out, thought it was canny, but nowt more than that.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    edited December 2017
    Stone Roses. I’ve tried several times over the years but just cannot get through their first album. To me it sounds like thin, jangly nonsense with a singer who is tone deaf. I quite liked Squire’s Seahorses album so maybe it’s Ian Brown’s voice I have a problem with.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I paid good money for albums by.....The Enemy
    YOU’RE NOT ALONE YOU KNOW
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    Radiohead after OK Computer .... 3 genius albums up to that point and then they turned into a completely different band ... I've tried again and again to like Kid A and such but I just don't get it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiform said:
    Stone Roses. I’ve tried several times over the years but just cannot get through their first album. To me it sounds like thin, jangly nonsense with a singer who is tone deaf. I quite liked Squire’s Seahorses album so maybe it’s Ian Brown’s voice I have a problem with.
    Some good moments on the first album back when Ian Brown could sing a little. I don't own any of their material and I don't understand the appeal. Them being constantly wheeled out as Manchester's finest is ridiculous and laughable. 
  • Led Zeppelin (hate that singer)
    The Pixies (should be right up my street. Even went to see them live but meh....)
    The Mission (went to see them too but left 1/2 way through!)
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Led Zeppelin (hate that singer)
    The Pixies (should be right up my street. Even went to see them live but meh....)
    The Mission (went to see them too but left 1/2 way through!)
    I like Pixies but sometimes Black Francis just grates. Thought they were ok live but that's about it. Didn't help you could feel the festering hatred between them. Even Kim Deal was subdued and she used to have great stage presence.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I tried to get into loads of bands and they just kept saying ‘sorry mate, you’re shit at guitar’  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I thought I would like:

Radiohead
    Muse
    Mastodon

Don't like any of them.

Most of all - Hogarth era Marillion. I really have tried (I have 7 albums!). Loved Fish era ....
  • The Smiths. 
    Led Zeppelin. 
    Rolling Stones. 

Just don't get it.. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited December 2017
    Curious answers, lots of Zep but no Floyd.
    I love both but arguably:
    Zep swings and rocks, amazing riffage and drummer, decent singer  
    Floyd has two droll singers and many droll songs that neither rock nor swing. 

As for Pearl Jam, I have no interest in the early albums. Vitalogy, No Code and Binaural are fantastic. 

Re Radiohead; I have an easier time understanding why people dont get them. They are ultimately an art rock band that happened to get extremely successful. By comparison I wouldn't expect many people to enjoy Grizzly Bear either. 

• Too many to mention.

i like what I like, anything else is meh.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    there's lots of music I don't like, but I wouldn't describe it as meh. For example, using clarky of this here parish, I'm not a fan of that type of music (no offense clarky) but you can't deny his talent and ability.
    I'm not a huge fan of those vast great Russian piano pieces but you could never describe them as meh.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    ICBM said:

I'll add Van Morrison, for both of the same reasons.
    Same here. Couldn't find anything that grabbed me.

I lodged for a short time with a girl who thought Van the Man was the greatest thing. Apparently, her dad was a bass player who had a terminal diagnosis, he was a big Van fan. Anyhow, long story short, her mum got in touch with Van and told the story, mentioning an up coming, and fairly emotional, birthday date.

Van not only sent them tickets for a show, he arranged for his bass to be brought along and got them both up on stage, signed the guitar and gave him a real fan experience on his last birthday with his family.

She cried every time Van was mentioned in conversation. And she had the signed bass on her wall for posterity.

I started to like the guy after I heard all that.

Fast forward a few years and I started to listen to him again, this time I get it. So now I'm a convert, brilliant soulful musician and a top bloke by all accounts.

Try 'Too Late to Stop..' the double live album.

Bands I can't get into? R.E.M, sorry.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    • Dinosaur Jnr - sorry nope. I even went to see them live. Just no. And J really comes across as a dick to anyone who doesn't get them.
    • Sonic Youth - er... no. I don't get it. Noise interspersed by unlistenable dirge.
    • Van Morrison - sorry but he sounds like your pissed uncle trying to sing along with a cheesy band from a working mans club. Dire. Sorry.
    • Radiohead - oh, I really, really, really tried... but they send me to sleep with boredom. The live set from Glastonbury that everyone raved about... I genuinely watched all of it and whilst there were some glimmers of music, most was just a wash of unconnected drivel. IMHO.
    • The Eagles - "Everybody loves the Eagles". I don't. Boring... so middle of the road they have Cats Eyes fitted. Cod country with a hint of cocaine creativity.
    • Gram Parsons et al - a cure for insomnia to me. Sorry...
    • Post-Fish Marrillion - I love the guitar work but the poetry was gone and live there just wasn't the fire/passion. I was heartbroken when Fish left... genuinely.
    • Bob Marley - I. Just. Don't. Get. It. I like ska, I like dub... but Marley just bores me. His songs are too long and the lyrics that folks fawn over aren't all that IMHO. Speaking of which...
    • The Doors - I love the music, GENUINELY love the music. However, Morrison's awful six-form angst poetry makes Rik (the Cool Person) seem like a laureate. Wish they'd found a replacement singer when Jim died.
    • Muse - great live as a spectacle and bombastic noise... I can't listen to them, though
    • Elton John - I totally get that he genuinely has got a great singing voice and can bang the ivory well, but the songs are terrible/hackneyed/boring... Saturday Night's All Right is just shocking.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    • Dinosaur Jnr - sorry nope. I even went to see them live. Just no. And J really comes across as a dick to anyone who doesn't get them
     :o 
    Link to my trading feedback