Comments

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    current incarnation - I'm hoping I'll stick with this for a while:

Not the neatest but it covers a bunch of ground
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gulliver said:

Nice! How is Spanish castle? Do you find the double fuzz aspect useful? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1055
    edited August 2022
    Bit of a rethink and a few different pedals. Basically I decided to embrace MIDI to a small extent. I’ve retained the MS3 as I’m used to it but no longer using any internal sounds. The 4 MS3 switches are now used for MIDI patch changes on the M1 and the History Lesson while the dual switches switch the loops on and off in the MS3 with one spare switch which might get used for a MS3 internal sound at some point. 

Signal chain is: 

input -> Protein -> Ms3 input (loops L1 is Decibelics Golden Horse and J Rockett El Hombre, L2 is Walrus Mako M1, L3 is Alexander History Lesson) -> output. 

Very happy with the sounds, less enamoured of the switching arrangement (although I’m very used to the Boss interface) so I’m looking at options (ES-5 for loops with a MIDI controller for patches maybe? or possibly a Morningstar controller and ML-5 for loops? Maybe a gigrig G3 Atom but that sounds expensive)

Not sure - I like Loops and MIDI because I can’t bend down easily so all changes need to be foot driven but The way I’m using the MS3 means I change ms3 patch to generate the MIDI patch change but that doesn’t retain the loop settings so a bit more tappery required - usually between songs so perhaps not so much of a problem. I just feel there has to be a better way. 

Sorry about the messy cables - I’m still fiddling a bit! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7548
    Bit of a rethink and a few different pedals. Basically I decided to embrace MIDI to a small extent. I’ve retained the MS3 as I’m used to it but no longer using any internal sounds. The 4 MS3 switches are now used for MIDI patch changes on the M1 and the History Lesson while the dual switches switch the loops on and off in the MS3 with one spare switch which might get used for a MS3 internal sound at some point. 

Signal chain is: 

input -> Protein -> Ms3 input (loops L1 is Decibelics Golden Horse and J Rockett El Hombre, L2 is Walrus Mako M1, L3 is Alexander History Lesson) -> output. 

Very happy with the sounds, less enamoured of the switching arrangement (although I’m very used to the Boss interface) so I’m looking at options (ES-5 for loops with a MIDI controller for patches maybe? or possibly a Morningstar controller and ML-5 for loops? Maybe a gigrig G3 Atom but that sounds expensive)

Not sure - I like Loops and MIDI because I can’t bend down easily so all changes need to be foot driven but The way I’m using the MS3 means I change ms3 patch to generate the MIDI patch change but that doesn’t retain the loop settings so a bit more tappery required - usually between songs so perhaps not so much of a problem. I just feel there has to be a better way. 

Sorry about the messy cables - I’m still fiddling a bit! 
    The Morningstar stuff might sort you out - the midi switcher and the loop add on 
    Red ones are better. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    I have a pedal train nano stuffed to within an inch of its life with 4 pedals. I may whack a fifth one on. 

1. Sonic Research micro 3 tuner
    2. HOF 2 mini (set with pre-delay so doing reverb and slapback)
    3. Mooer trelicopter
    4. Nordland ODR-CC+ 

(May add 5. Chase Tone Secret pre-amp)

This does rockabilly into my tweedy-luxe. It also does the same but WAY louder into my Rift Tweed 15 HP. Sounds like Satan himself just turned up. Brilliant. 

Sorted. 

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    Gulliver said:

Nice! How is Spanish castle? Do you find the double fuzz aspect useful? 

it's great. I'm not a fuzz aficionado - but the way I am currently trying it is setting one side for humbuckers, one side for single coils.
  • smfacersmfacer Frets: 32
    edited August 2022
    Finally in a state where I’m happy with the sounds (for now) and order of everything image

woohoo, finally got the picture to behave.
    just need to sort out the rat's nest of cables
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, rethought. MS3 off (not sold… yet). Hotone Ampero Control and Ampero Patch Kommander in. One extra loop, four easy MIDI control switches (expandable to six). Very happy with how this works, really simple, does what I want. 

But now I need a tuner… and somehow to fit it on here… possibly turbo tuner mini. 

• Keefy said:
    Some amazing looking boards on here. My rudimentary home setup is coming along slowly  

I'm looking to get rid of the Chase Bliss and the Meris Enzo, just too effing complicated! Keen for any compressor advice if anyone has recomendations?

https://imgur.com/yreWwwt
    https://imgur.com/d93Jta3
    That is one serious man cave!

Haha thanks. As its kinda underground i'm confident that i get away with my reticence to not have a stadium guitar rig at home. My confidence is of course misplaced. 
    Woah.... that looks all shades of amazing, @ollybarnes. How do you find the Rectoverb 25?

By the way, if you're still after a compressor, I've got a Cali76 Compact Deluxe for sale.
    I like the Rectoverb a lot - but if i had to pick one to keep it'd be the Marshall 6101 every time (and the Marshall is one third of the price used on ebay).

I have them both always on right now which is pretty special when the balance is really right. The mesa is never doing 'full clean', i have that on crunch and full modern. I do find the Mesa is a lot better going through a 2x12 with V30's than with the built in speaker. The Marshall goes through one with greenbacks which is magical too.

Spent about 5 hours knocking up new cables for the board this weekend as theres some new arrivals coming - turns out most of the leads (Crosby patrhless cable kits) dont work. Ugh. I think im going to stick to the chunky ernie ball patch cables as life is just too short to try and work out which of about 50 cables isnt working or is being temperamental. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of a more fail safe cable making kit? Im not up to soldering TBH!

• Spent about 5 hours knocking up new cables for the board this weekend as theres some new arrivals coming - turns out most of the leads (Crosby patrhless cable kits) dont work. Ugh. I think im going to stick to the chunky ernie ball patch cables as life is just too short to try and work out which of about 50 cables isnt working or is being temperamental. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of a more fail safe cable making kit? Im not up to soldering TBH!

I've never had any problems with Lava Tightrope cables. I also make my own with SquarePlugs plugs and Van Damme XKE patch cable. To be honest, the solderless option is much easier and less time-consuming.

I've not tried the Crosby kits but, assuming they're not garbage, it sounds like you just need work on your technique!

R.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Took this as a snapshot of settings after soundcheck on Thursday. 3 delays feels like too much, But they're making totally different sounds so I'm gonna see how I feel about it in a few weeks.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Spent about 5 hours knocking up new cables for the board this weekend as theres some new arrivals coming - turns out most of the leads (Crosby patrhless cable kits) dont work. Ugh. I think im going to stick to the chunky ernie ball patch cables as life is just too short to try and work out which of about 50 cables isnt working or is being temperamental. 

I've never had any problems with Lava Tightrope cables. I also make my own with SquarePlugs plugs and Van Damme XKE patch cable. To be honest, the solderless option is much easier and less time-consuming.

I've not tried the Crosby kits but, assuming they're not garbage, it sounds like you just need work on your technique!

R.
    Thanks Robin - yes im 100% open to the theory that im the weakest link in the chain with the cables. Will take them apart and re screw them - and if that doesnt work will post a pic of the entire rig in flames ;) 
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 257
    I bought 4 packs of the Harley Benton solderless cables from Thomanna few months back (used to have George L's but sold them years ago). Reviews weren't brilliant but I took a punt and despite unplugging stuff many times in my usual heavy handed way, have not has a single failure yet.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_solder_free_patch_cable_kit.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4rXoeP9-QIV2e7tCh1FfwyBEAQYASABEgJigvD_BwE

• Thats good to hear Jim. EIther im doing something wrong or more than half of my 2 packs of Crosby ones didnt work, or are intermittent. Will try the Harley Bentons!
  • Here’s my current board. I’m a bassist if you can’t tell!

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JproudbassJproudbass Frets: 1
    edited September 2022

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    dilbert said:
    roberty said:
    Retro board! Did this for a thing this weekend

These are pedals I've used for a long time, the Rat, DD-3 and AD-9 are actual units I've owned for over 20 years. Kind of puts things into perspective. I sold my old DOD 250 because it didn't have an LED, shame cos it looked knackered like the rest of these

For low-mid gain I use the 250 as a base tone and the Rat for a lead boost. For high gain I would reverse the order and have the Rat for the base tone and the 250 to boost solos. These pedals just work for me, can cover so much ground 

Reverb and tremolo on the amp 

@roberty, where did you get the patch leads with pancake connectors from?

Cheers 
    Sorry mate I've not been a very good forum member. I got these patch leads in 2016 for £22. I wouldn't pay what they're asking now. Quite distressing to see this!

6 Units - Mogami 2319-6 Inch (15 cm) - Guitar Bass Effects Instrument, Patch Cable with ¼ Inch Low-Profile, Right Angled Pancake type Connectors https://amzn.eu/d/60EFLNY
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2520
    Amazon sells Switchcraft knockoffs from underwood, 10 plugs for 8 quid. those and a few metres of instrument cable is the cheapest way if you can solder your own up
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited September 2022
    Finally replaced my broken Behringer analog delay with a reverb which works way better for me, so here's my current very modest board! Got the NUX Oceanic for cheap and it sounds great to me, nice and easy to use without many settings to faff with, just decay and level. I think it's currently on the plate firmware, going to try the hall which I think I'll like more. Just want to add a Phase 90 and that's probably me sorted for a while.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom