Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

God damn office politics

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I'd put up with it if they were rewarding me handsomely. I've just applied for something with lots of travel and stress, but for 25k more it'll likely be worth it.

Indeed. I may not have to put up with this sort of bollocks in my line of work, but I get verbally abused, kicked, punched, bitten and scratched on a regular basis for little more than minimum wage. (And that's just the weekly staff meeting ;)
    Just wow two complete pictures of the world of work! @Legionreturns ; you have my complete respect you and your like are the real heroes of this thing called work. @fields5069 ; I take my hat off to your achievements but would argue that getting an extra £25k for your new job doesn't sit well when you look at @Legionreturns . This isn't a dig at you it just shows the disparity in the system and fair play to you for going and getting it
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I'd put up with it if they were rewarding me handsomely. I've just applied for something with lots of travel and stress, but for 25k more it'll likely be worth it.

Indeed. I may not have to put up with this sort of bollocks in my line of work, but I get verbally abused, kicked, punched, bitten and scratched on a regular basis for little more than minimum wage. (And that's just the weekly staff meeting ;)
    Just wow two complete pictures of the world of work! @Legionreturns ; you have my complete respect you and your like are the real heroes of this thing called work. @fields5069 ; I take my hat off to your achievements but would argue that getting an extra £25k for your new job doesn't sit well when you look at @Legionreturns . This isn't a dig at you it just shows the disparity in the system and fair play to you for going and getting it
    I completely agree! I don't know where the fault lies, but I'd love to do something more worthwhile while also being able to support myself and my family. While I'm in an industry considered well-paid, we only had a holiday last year because my parents paid. It's nuts.

I don't have "it" yet, it's probably a job too far and my CV will maybe end up in the bin.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    I've had this happen before; spent hours on a report for one of the senior managers (a direct instruction from them), and my line manager instructed me to send it to him first for "proof reading" and that he would then forward it on. I converted it to PDF first, with my name in the footers, and then sent it to him.
    A friend puts his name in transparent text in the background of all of his slide decks, so if someone nicks his work (as has happened a couple of times), he brings it to the front, changes the colour and asks them why their slides have "Created by Joe Bloggs" on them.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Some years back I produced a document and sent it around in hardcopy; I went to a meeting and someone had removed my front page and substituted his own one with his name on it (in a different style & font!) - it did bring a few laughs!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942

I'd put up with it if they were rewarding me handsomely. I've just applied for something with lots of travel and stress, but for 25k more it'll likely be worth it.

Well, each to their own; you are worth what your employer will pay you and if that's not enough, then you can look elsewhere and see if you can do better.

(That's what I'm doing, BTW; I've had a 1% pay rise each year I've been with my current employer, so I'm leaving and looking for pastures new.)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited December 2017
    prowla said:
    Well, each to their own; you are worth what your employer will pay you and if that's not enough, then you can look elsewhere and see if you can do better.
    Can you define "Doing better" for me? I'm a little unsure of the meaning. If you mean a job that pays more money, then yes I could fairly easily do that. I've done so in the past. I was rich, miserable and a bit of a knob. If on the other hand, you mean a better job. Well no, the job I do changes lives, and gives me an enormous buzz when things go well. There aren't very many people that could or would do it, certainly not for the money, and because school salaries are structured and regulated, no, I couldn't just go and do the same job somewhere else for more money. My employer would love to pay more, but they can't. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is what I do. I do my best to automate my work, not to look like I'm the most productive (although that is a side effect) but to give myself more free time. Then at the right moment I sell my product to my bosses boss and then get promoted above my boss who still keeps their job because of the extra productivity. In the mean time I create a far better version of my productivity tool that I sell to a potential new employer without revealing too much and then play a potential pay rise against my current and potential new employer.