Anyone tried 6L6 valves in a Victory V40?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
I have stock EL34s in my Victory V40. Just wondering if 6L6s sound significantly different? Also, they're cheaper ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They don't sound much different in this video. Cue comments below "I had a V40 and it sounded shit" etc...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    edited December 2017
    They don't sound much different in this video. Cue comments below "I had a V40 and it sounded shit" etc...

Can't really tell from that vid.

BTW - I have a V40 and it sounds shit...(OK, I'll get me coat ;-) )

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1465
    I tried both in mine and preferred the EL34s. Not much in it until it was cranked and then seemed to have a bit more character with the EL34s. Sounded a bit flat and clinical with the 6L6s. I was primarily using it as a pedal platform. I thought it sounded ok when it was working hard.
  • I tried both in mine and also preferred EL34s.  6L6s seemed to increase the bass response, which I found I already had to restrain a lot using the tone controls.  With EL34s, I found I could get a balanced sound, whereas the 6L6s in my experience sounded a bit boomy.
  • Yah I've tried both ways and ended up with the EL34s. Wasn't a whole lot in it to my fluffy ears but I liked what I heard and it just felt right to me. But honestly I could not articulate the difference very well haha. 
    Full disclosure: I'm a terrible guitar player. Work for Reverb.com as their UK Marketing Director and prior to that was Head of Digital Marketing at Andertons for 6 years. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    I'll stay with EL34s then. Mind you, 6L6s are cheaper to buy... ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom