Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Glenn Tilbrook- ripping it up at 61.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Difford & Tilbrook are right up there with Lennon & McCartney for me. Love ‘em....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    Gassage said:
    I've never seen Glenn give a bad performance, and I've seen him once a year over the last 8 or 9 years. You sort of take Squeeze for granted until you go see him (or the pair of them) and get run over by hit after hit after hit.

My fave is "Some Fantastic Place". 
    So, that song is about GT's fiance and schoolday sweetheart, who passed aged 24 from cancer.

It almost killed Glenn and he actually went through a stage of heroin use as a result (which he's open about) and it caused a rift between Glenn and Difford.

One day, a year or so later, Glenn came down to his kitchen, and there was a note on the table. The lyrics were about his fiance, from Chris.

Fantastic Place was a reference to Glenn quitting the dope and being where he needed to be.

He wrote the music in 6 minutes and he'll tell you it's still his favourite song they wrote together.

She gave to me her tenderness
    Her friendship and her love

There in the sky above
    We grew up learning as we went
    What a voyage our life could be
    It took us through a wilderness
    Into the calmest sea
    Her smile could lift me from the pain
    I often found within
    She said some things I won't forget
    She made a few bells ring
    So simple her humility
    Her beauty found in grace
    Today she lives another life
    In some fantastic place
    She showed me how to raise a smile
    Out of her bed of gloom
    And in her garden sanctuary
    A life began to bloom.
    She visualised a world ahead
    And planned how it would be
    She left behind the strongest love
    That lives eternally
    I have the hope that when it's time
    For me to come her way
    That she'll be there to show me round
    Whenever comes that day
    Her love was life and happiness
    And in her steps I trace
    The way to live a better life
    In some fantastic place 

Line 3 is (I think)

”I see her face from time to time”

A really beautiful song

Not many can write, sing and play half as well as Glenn.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Glenn's got some other nice guitars... there's a 1954 Strat with a very early serial number and with all the paint missing except for in one patch, which is rather cool. He also still has his ES150... not the CC model but the early-70s thick-bodied ES335 one. I think it might be in an early Squeeze vid. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    Difford & Tilbrook are right up there with Lennon & McCartney for me. Love ‘em....
    Have to agree with that assessment.

Difford's solo work (I think I've got all of his albums) maintain the lyrical insight.  He's a clever man with the words.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    57Deluxe said:
    Nail Through My Heart solo - always loved that....
    +1  I spent weeks learning that but gave up when I couldn't do justice to the fast run at bar 7.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • TTony said:

Difford's solo work (I think I've got all of his albums) maintain the lyrical insight.  He's a clever man with the words.
    Don’t know if you saw the BBC4 documentary about them a few years ago, @TTony? Difford came across as a very thoughtful, quite introspective character. His persona (particularly early in Squeeze’s career) seemed very ‘blokey’ - the reality seemed very different - clearly a very bright, sensitive chap....
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    TTony said:

Don’t know if you saw the BBC4 documentary about them a few years ago, @TTony? Difford came across as a very thoughtful, quite introspective character. His persona (particularly early in Squeeze’s career) seemed very ‘blokey’ - the reality seemed very different - clearly a very bright, sensitive chap....
    From what I understand, he had a fairly "Sarf London" upbringing (hence the "blokey") but always had another side to his character, which he expressed - expresses - in his lyrics.  His solo stuff is very much worth a listen, though I'm guessing that some of it was written when he was less than happy. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    TTony said:
    Difford & Tilbrook are right up there with Lennon & McCartney for me. Love ‘em....

Add in Neil Finn and then Lindsey Buckingham and I reckon those are the greatest guitar based pop songwriters in the game

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Emp_Fab said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Nail Through My Heart solo - always loved that....
    +1  I spent weeks learning that but gave up when I couldn't do justice to the fast run at bar 7.

Yep, me too.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    tFB Trader
    Great band - seen them a couple of times over the years - classic songs that somehow sound simple but aren't

agree with you as well regarding N Finn and L  Buckingham as great song writers - Rumours IMO opinion is the greatest pop/rock/guitar based album ever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Great band.

slightly off topic but do you know what amp Glen now uses?

i remember seeing a concert of there’s in the 80s in Camden and they were the 1st act I’d ever seen with hardwood wicker mk 3 boogies. That sound was glorious.
    edited December 2017
    monkey42 said:
    Great band.

slightly off topic but do you know what amp Glen now uses?

i remember seeing a concert of there’s in the 80s in Camden and they were the 1st act I’d ever seen with hardwood wicker mk 3 boogies. That sound was glorious.
    Fender 1 x 12 Deluxe Hot Rod! LOL

tFB Trader
    can't recall now if it was Glenn or Chris that purchased a 67 era all original paisley Tele from me back in the 80's
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    can't recall now if it was Glenn or Chris that purchased a 67 era all original paisley Tele from me back in the 80's
    Chris. He then sold it when he had no money in the late 90's. In 2009 I was offered it for sale, I told Glenn, Diff went and retrieved it. He's also got a lovely Cruz CS Tele with a Bigsby white with multi coloured polka dots!

tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Chris. He then sold it when he had no money in the late 90's. In 2009 I was offered it for sale, I told Glenn, Diff went and retrieved it. He's also got a lovely Cruz CS Tele with a Bigsby white with multi coloured polka dots!
    I recall we met at a railway station to do the deal as I was passing through London on the way to Heathrow - so about a 5 min cash transaction - but as I said it was back in the 80's so vague memories - Glad you could update me on it
    Gassage said:
    I recall we met at a railway station to do the deal as I was passing through London on the way to Heathrow - so about a 5 min cash transaction - but as I said it was back in the 80's so vague memories - Glad you could update me on it
    When it comes to Squeeze, somehow a station in East London seems a suitable trading post.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    Well, my friend had Chris Difford's Pink Paisley and that sounds like the one, Mark and used it on the US tour.

Chris sold it on during his "darker days" and I believe my friend purchased it on Denmark St. Chris has since confirmed it was "The One" and I sent him photos.

Brad Paisley's people were interested in it at one point after the storage place flood but here's a pic of it and it sold in New King's Road Vintage Guitar Emporium.

http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/guitarshop/Fender_files/Telecaster-Montage.jpg

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    Great gig.  I've always loved Squeeze.  

My mate makes their suits for them.  Look good in them too.  http://whitley.london