Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just wondering, has anyone actually bought a new Chapman guitar from the new range?

What's Hot

Comments

• And apparently the filtering didn't stay in the link... Bah! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited December 2017
    What is the Chapman market?  15- and 16- year old RC fanboys who might otherwise get a PRS from their parents?    Or are they now grown up and at university?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    Rob was always consumed with the reputation of his guitars in the marketplace. Shifting the guitars up in price point had little to do with the betterment of working conditions in Korea, or [always contradictory] claims regarding the brand's production output.

It had everything to do with increasing an already high margin and ensuring that Rob could feel important and worthwhile in the industry. That's the truth.

Personally speaking I had a soft spot for the early models. The aim at that time was to bring a nicely made guitar to a community of backers, and there was something rather special about that. Even though the guitars since then are much improved, they have always left me a little cold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Well the ML-2 just won guitar of the year in Total guitar.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    impmann said:

As for the comment about an S2 vs an SE - its a valid thought. However, the S2s aren't "proper" Maryland PRS and the ones I've played haven't impressed me that much (sorry!). Some of the SEs are truly superb and bear in mind the same workforce make some guitars for other brands that cost four figures... I certainly wouldn't choose one over the other just based on origin - I'd be basing the decision on an individual instrument.

If they aren't proper PRS then I'll stick with the Vela.

I've had 6 full fat PRS, including the DGT in my avatar.  They are long gone.  I love my Vela Satin though.  There is only one of those six that I might consider trading the Vela for if the opportunity arose.
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    Played a few over the years, underwhelmed by all of them. The previous series were heavy and had uncomfortable body shapes. The ones I've tried from the current range are disappointing to say the least. Nothing wrong with the fit and finish, but lacking in VFM and resale potential. I tried hard to like the ML1 traditional in coffee burst but couldn't. 
  • Octafish said:
    thegummy said:
    rico said:
    rico said:
    The flipped headstock won't increase the tension in the strings. The only thing that will increase the tension (for a given frequency) is increasing the cross-sectional area (string gauge) which proportionally increases the mass of the string. What may change is the force required to fret a note (or bend to a note) based on the change in elasticity as a result of the increased total string length. 

To conclude my post above, there is minuscule difference. 
    Would the string require more or less force to fret with a longer length between nut and tuner?

No sound difference I take it?

Might need to watch that interview again to hear what he said.
    As I posted in response to your original post, scale length (nut to bridge) and string gauge effect tension, D'addario's string tension calculator asks you to specify just string gauge and scale length to work out tension.

A bigger or lesser distance between the nut and tuner for any given scale/string gauge shouldn't make any difference in respect to the force required to fret as the overall string tension (tuner to string ball end) will need to remain the same if you want be in standard tuning.
    This has been explained twice already by me and Rico. The extra length doesn't make a difference to string tension but does make a difference when the string is being stretched when fretted or bent because there's more string there to stretch. A reverse headstock will have more easily stretched bass strings and less easily stretched treble ones. The effect is minor to negligible. 
    Ok...but would you buy one over something else at the same price range?

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    adamm82 said:
    poopot said:
    Not sure why anyone would buy a guitar with an “8” on the 12th fret.... seems confusing...
    Can actually tell me what a 'Ghost Fret' is. he talked about it so many times.

Here's what Chapman say about the Ghost Fret

The Chapman Ghost Fret will haunt you in the soul until you give in to its seductive feel and ethereal tones.

Whether you choose the Black Blood or Lunar finish you'll be possessed by the deep wooden flame surrounding the searing, Primordial Zerø humbuckers like a stygian forest. It's not your fault that the Ghost Fret will hunt you down with its powerful tone, ebony fretboard and jumbo frets, like a caged, sonic, ancestral spirit. It's not your fault...

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I cant handle the daft names of the pickups. Jesus.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited December 2017
    The Chapman Ghost Fret will haunt you in the soul until you give in to its seductive feel and ethereal tones.

Whether you choose the Black Blood or Lunar finish you'll be possessed by the deep wooden flame surrounding the searing, Primordial Zerø humbuckers like a stygian forest. It's not your fault that the Ghost Fret will hunt you down with its powerful tone, ebony fretboard and jumbo frets, like a caged, sonic, ancestral spirit. It's not your fault...

what a load of crap.  

seductive?    i don't think i want to be seduced by the feel of the neck of Rob Chapman's guitar.

haunted and hunted.

i feel dirty

who caged the ancestral spirit?  was it your fault?

does it come with a succubus?

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    who actually cares about total guitars, guitar of the year. 

• duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    edited December 2017
    adamm82 said:
    Perhaps I am a overly sceptical. But I do find it a bit suspicious that most of the main youtube guitar personalities seem to have a Chapman in their collection.

I'd love to see some impartial reviews on these guitars.
    Phillip McKnight. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCEzJtFWNg7d7TZW7K9JyXmw

said that in the future would buy one & do an independent review about one from the range, am not sure what model.  Will keep you posted if he gets around to it.

I can’t remember who asked, but the pickups are G&B Pickups. Check around the 9.30minute mark in the video in my next post.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    Just realised he has posted a new video on the Rob Scallon model.

https://youtu.be/CvXnMk1WxVw
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Nick said:

It had everything to do with increasing an already high margin and ensuring that Rob could feel important and worthwhile in the industry. That's the truth.
    Evidence?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

My comment was sarcastic :)

It’s a joke that it’s won and also that victory won best amp last week in another poll 
    who actually cares about total guitars, guitar of the year. 

Aye it’s a stitch up 
  • Today on the FB, some old men shout at clouds.

As usual.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Scarily, not one Fretboarder has admitted to owning one of the new Chapmans yet... does anyone have any sales figures for them?

A lot of Youtubers have them but I suspect that Leo didn't buy his (for example), and the same goes for several of the others no doubt!
    I own the second run ml-2. 
    £399 it cost me. 
    My only complaint is that one of its grover tuners, the high e, has an issue where the string slips out of it if I dont use a locking wrap method or just lots of winds around the post when stringing.

Feline had a look over it for me for something different, and noted the cavity paint wasnt all conductive. Which I guess is annoying. 

I like it though. Don’t think I’d sell it. 
    Infact I would get it set up properly and spend some money on it. 

In my opinion its very comparable to my £399 prs se tremonti (the base model, with wrap around bridge). This was made by PT Wildwood? Thought world guitars did em...
    The nut on my tremonti is ass and needs replacing.
    The tuners fuck me off. They literally tarnish if not touched for a week.

I’m unsure if thats prs’s nickel content of the hardware or what?

Build quality, set up and playability on both are very similar, both great. Chapman has better high fret access.
    Chapman lots heavier though.

The new range, hmm. No grovers, all chapman branded hardware. £50 more in comparison (the 2017 non-pro models compared to my second run ml-2). 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    After this thread I mostly want to try out a Chapman or two and make my own mind up.

Ultimately there is no good or bad with guitars, unless they are REALLY bad, it is just what feels good and helps you to play better?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom