Finished Pics! Rebody of a Fender Rascal bass

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Roland said:
    Beautiful. It’s nice to see that you’re having success with Osmo PolyX. I’m going to use it for my C18Q1 build. I may have to copy the idea of a fretted headstock surface. 
    Yes - I'm very pleased with the half matte and the satin. 

On my present build, I'm going to have another go at the full gloss - it was a bit problematic at my first go but I think I know why.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    TTony said:
    That piece of walnut turned out nice ...

And it makes me think of something ... Is there any reason why I couldn't mount a set of Strat p'ups from the underside?  I want to avoid the normal scratchplate on the top, but a rear access cavity - like this bass - would be OK.

I can't think of a reason not to, as long as I get the measurements right of course, and don't have screw tips protruding out of the face of the guitar!
    No reason at all why you can't @TTony - at least in theory.  As you say, the trick is getting the top thin enough for the pups to be able to stick through high enough but still have a modicum of wood left to screw the screws into...
    Or screw the Pickups to a wooden block that slots in from the back.  You could even do all the height adjustment from the back danelectro style with a bit of thought.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    WezV said:
    TTony said:
    That piece of walnut turned out nice ...

And it makes me think of something ... Is there any reason why I couldn't mount a set of Strat p'ups from the underside?  I want to avoid the normal scratchplate on the top, but a rear access cavity - like this bass - would be OK.

I can't think of a reason not to, as long as I get the measurements right of course, and don't have screw tips protruding out of the face of the guitar!
    No reason at all why you can't @TTony - at least in theory.  As you say, the trick is getting the top thin enough for the pups to be able to stick through high enough but still have a modicum of wood left to screw the screws into...
    Or screw the Pickups to a wooden block that slots in from the back.  You could even do all the height adjustment from the back danelectro style with a bit of thought.
    That's a good idea!  
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27540
    I've just been Googling how Danelectro p'ups are mounted into the body.

I've not got the metalworking facilities to make a bracket like that, but I'm pretty sure that I could do something with bits of wood what would work just as well.  The body was going to be swimming pool routed anyway, with rear access, so I can mount the p'ups on a blocks of wood and make those height adjustable through the back.

Anyways, thanks for the thoughts, and thread hijack over!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.