Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Live Albums/DVDs

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    The remastered MSG Michael Schenker Group "Live At Budokan" is very good.
    Liking MSG helps fairly obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    where the light is by mayer is a flawless album / dvd
    laugh if you want, but you can pick any of the bon jovi live albums / dvd's and see a fantastic set, with faultless and often complex harmonies done live really well, with classic well written songs.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2955

KRAAN 1974 is the best live album in my collection.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited December 2017
    Funnily enough I was listening to Genesis Seconds Out and Queen Live Killers this morning. Both fantastic live albums. Obviously this depends on whether you like Genesis and Queen. On DVD I’ve recently acquired Jeff Beck Live At The Hollywood Bowl which is a great 50yr celebration of his career, superb sound quality and well-shot and Blues Pills Live In Paris box set, which comes with a Blu-ray of the gig. Also wonderful quality.
    Surprised no-one’s mentioned Rush Exit Stage Left yet. And David Bowie Stage -which captures his Heroes era performance brilliantly.
  • Bob Marley - Babylon by bus. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Neill said:
     few of the punk/new wave bands managed to record a convincing live performance, the Ramones being a notable exception. 
    There is a fantastic live album by The Only Ones, it's just called The Only Ones Live and has a big black and white photo of Peter Perrett's face on the front (there are other Only Ones live albums that are not as good). John Perry's guitar sound strongly suggests that his amplifier was actually on fire. That and the Peel Sessions are probably the best things they ever did.

• No one mentioned "Made In Japan" Yet?  There's a jolly good reason why Deep Purple are one of the most bootlegged bands on the planet - and this is it!
    One might also mention Mr Blackmore's one with his next band "Rainbow On Stage".  Very different, but an incredible, dynamic live album nonetheless.
    Both of these show how a band can really take a tune somewhere, while enthralling the audience.

No stories of fiddling here either, just the real deal.
  • Two best live DVDs I've ever seen

Sade (1993)
    Peter Gabriel - Secret World

Honorable mention:

Talking Heads - live in Rome
    Portishead - Roseland NYC
    Bob Marley - Santa Barbara 
    Trucks Tedeschi Band - Red Rocks
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    edited December 2017

Again Robin Trower Live
    tne version of Spellbound is exactly that
    jimmy dewars voice is great. Just a showcase for Trower.

Thin lizzy Live and Dangerous
    i must of seen Lizzy at least 7 or 8 times from a Fighting era and onwards.

I don’t really care if it was re-recorded in most ways it captures how I felt about Lizzy the energy and showmanship. The link from Cowboy song to boys are back, don’t believe a word is pure stage craft in action building energy through good arrangements.

My hoarse voice can probably be heard chanting Lizzy Lizzy on the Hammersmith section if I did not end up on Visconti cutting room floor
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2017
    The Living End by Husker Du definately adds something to their studio albums

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2017
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    darcym said:
    where the light is by mayer is a flawless album / dvd
    laugh if you want, but you can pick any of the bon jovi live albums / dvd's and see a fantastic set, with faultless and often complex harmonies done live really well, with classic well written songs.
    WTLI is what prompted me to start the thread - it was my first exposure to Mayer and it's as you say, flawless.

Definitely won't laugh at Bon Jovi, I'm pretty sure that was my first ever exposure to live music - I had their live at Wembley VHS when I was a kid and watched it non stop, must have been mid 90s at a guess?

Thanks all, some awesome suggestions, this thread will keep me busy for a while :)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    edited December 2017
    DVDs

Eric Clapton - Hyde Park
    Peter Gabriel - Secret World
    Peter Gabriel - Growing Up
    Status Quo - Montreux
    David Gilmour - Royal Albert Hall
    Wilko Johnson - Live at Koko
    Any of the Clapton Crossroads concerts

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Alvin said:
    ZZTop Live From Texas on Blu-Ray for picture quality , it is how all Blu-rays should be (a pity they are not though).

The picture quality is great, but they really are going through the motions music wise on this. There’s stuff on YouTube from a NYE’s concert in 1977 that is waaaaay better musically. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    DVD: Shakira - Live & Off The Record. Really very good - and she does a great cover of Back In Black :).

CD: Deep Purple - Made In Japan. One of the first major live albums and never surpassed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scotts 
    Peter Gabriel - Back to Front Tour

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Many of the above ..

Whitesnake's Live in the still of the night is good, especially the DVD/CD package.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Freddie Mercury Tribute concert is a special one for me...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• ICBM said:

CD: Deep Purple - Made In Japan. One of the first major live albums and never surpassed.

If you've ever found yourself listening to mk.2 era Purple and wishing there was more (like, a lot more) of Ian Gillan squealing, this is the album for you.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    english_bob said:

If you've ever found yourself listening to mk.2 era Purple and wishing there was more (like, a lot more) of Ian Gillan squealing, this is the album for you.
    That's true, but the 'monkey vocals' in Strange Kind Of Woman are both hilarious and brilliant at the same time - I never get tired of it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein